Shrimp for Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Jun 16, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I usually stay away from baits that are Store Bought, but I've been in a bind before and wanted to go fishing so I had to pick something for bait. I tried Shrimp and outfished a few people around me who were using shad! They weren't very big, around 5-10 pounds, but I was about the only one catching anything. Sometimes bait (Like Shad, Bluegill) is about impossible to get, I was thinking when it's like that I might start trying Shrimp. Has anyone else had luck with it for Blue cats? I know it's pretty good for Channel Cats, used to use it for them a lot when I first started catfishing, but I've only used it once for Blue's.

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Never really tried it. Guess I'll start to.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've never tried shrimp for blues,caught lots of channels and bluegill with it though.I may have to get some and give it a try.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well it worked for me the one time I did use it. I have to admit I was shocked that it worked good for them, I don't think it will catch the real big ones too often, but I've heard of guys on the Neuse River catching some over 30 pounds on it, don't know if it's true or not. I believe it's a whole lot better then Chicken Livers though!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I like it better than chicken livers and its not near as messy.I'll usually use it for bait fish and when I want to catch some squeakers to eat.If I'm using it for cats,I'll put a crawler on it also,they seem to like that combo.

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I used it on the saltwater piers in NC and caught alot of bottom feeders. Freshwater is different but it should work. Never tried livers, shrimp looks better imo.

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Around here I have caught channels, blues(under 20lb) and flatheads (under 10lb) on shrimp. It is the only store bought bait I carry.

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Zakk, I've had luck using shrimp, with & without adding a crawler. Have caught both channels & blues. Biggest blue was 13#.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good Replies, thanks, looks like Shrimp does work pretty good for the Smaller Blues. I bet they would work good while Drifting too.

Good luck

10. SFG

SFG New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've had success with both channels and blues. When I have it available, I like to peel the shrimp and soak them in anise oil extract for about 24 hours prior to fishing.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Shrimp is what I fished with as a kid and I caught a lot of smaller fish, but I have not used in a while. I did fish a tourney with a guy and he used shrimp, but after about two hours of no fish, and me catching some on bream, he switched.

I did have a guide tell me that there are certain times of the year when they hit shrimp really well, but I did not ask when that was!!

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use shrimp and the thing I like most about them is raw shrimp are the almost perfect bait to inject scent into, the scent leaks out slowly if your shrimp are fresh. I just picked up some valinia to try.

Anyone have an idea of something to inject ?

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I use them at the lake here alot biggest blue 16LB. It's easy, not messy, and can get them anytime.

14. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Great bait for smalller catfish. Esp.grass shrimp if you can catch them fresh.

15. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I caught some huge blues this last winter on raw shrimp. It was around January-February. They were hitting shad but they loved the shrimp more than anything.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the info, it looks like I'm not the only one that has had good success with it for Blue's. I don't know what it is about the stuff, but they do seem to like it.

17. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Could it be the shrimp looks and tastes like crawfish and that is the attraction? I have also soaked the shrimp in garlic powder/oil the night before using shrimp with some results.

18. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    ive never tryed it but if what your sayings true(know it is)i beter start trying it

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have caught channels and blues on shrimp bank, anchored and drift fishing.

20. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I have had good success with shrimp. In fact better with it than chikn liver.