Shrimp, for Bait

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by Gordhawk, May 7, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What can you all tell me about using shrimp for catfish bait? I've never used it,but have heard that it is pretty good bait. Any and all information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Glenn

2. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Ive always heard shrimp in vanilla but find it hard to believe that anything would be better than bluegill.

3. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I like mine with a little bay seasoning and spicey cocktail sauce.
    find something else for bait.

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I use shrimp a lot in shallow river waters in the begining of spring. It is always a great lake bait, but it will not stay on the hook in fast moving water in my experience.

I like it and have had great success with it.

To each his own, and when that doesn't work steal the guy next to you's bait!!!

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    After reading folks posts here, I've tried it twice, shell on unveined, & got good results lake fishing. Little garlic powder added seemed to help the second time.
    :smile2:

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    we use it quite a bit and i like to use circle hooks with it .
    it already has the curved shape to it to thread right on the circle hook from the neck and on down till the point exits the tail area.
    or you can slice the shrimp up in chunks and fill up a hook that way.
    normally we will have shrimp crawlers and wax worms .
    wax worms to get gills to cut up .
    we get bass hitting the shrimp alot too .
    i would like to find a restraunt that gets rid of their shrimp whole head
    and all when its no longer fresh.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've used and caught channels with shrimp, and I also agree that I have the best results in Spring.

8. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    my favorite lake bait for channels is shrimp & chicken livers, i sprinkle garlic powder on my shrimp before casting out. I have caught ten pounders on them. channels seem to want shrimp when they get tired of the livers.

joe car

9. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Shrimp saved more than one fishing trip for me last year, in fact there was a couple trips that was the only thing that worked.
    I buy Bait shrimp at the super market, it is in the same area as the frozen eating shrimp. Costs $3 something and I peel them and put them on a Kahle hook with barb exposed.
    If you pour garlic all over the shrimp, you just as well put it on an old piece of boot cause it isn't shrimp anymore it is just GARLIC.

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i use shrimp alot down here. but, i live in a tidal effected area. the shrimp naturally migrate in and out of our delta so the fish are probably used to eating them. i like to fish them on a circle hook too. i dont know if you can get them live up there, but drift fishing a live shrimpwith just a lil wieght in brackish/fresh water is a huge producer down here for bass-cat speckled trout and redfish. at any rate shrimp are crustacions with a lot of tender meat. and the fish around here luv em!
    j.d.

11. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah, shrimp is an awesome bait. It's not going to catch many 30lb fish but it will catch you a lot 10lbs and under. I've told a lot of people about shrimp but most don't believe it. Everybody swears by cutbait and I understand why. But pound for pound if I'm taking a kid or anybody else fishing who just wants to catch a lot of fish, I take shrimp. Use RAW shrimp that haven't been deviened or steamed or peeled. Just peel it and put it on a circle hook like has already been said. It's basically a little piece of fishy smelling meat. Like cutbait. And freezing them and refreezing doesn't seem to hurt there usability at all. It might even help.

12. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    My son doubted the use of shrimp until I was the only one catchin cat now he wont go without it LONG LIVE SHRIMP:cool2:

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks to each and every one of you for your input on this subject. I was down at the river the other day,and there was a young man using shrimp for bait and catching some nice channel cats. I've never tried using shrimp before,but believe I may get some and give it a try.