Shrimp Does it matter what kind

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gone fishin 4 kittys, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm thinking about using shrimp in the coming days. But I know there are all different kinds and some that have the shell off and some that have it on. Some look a little more wild. I'm these would be the kind to use. I don't know much about shrimp I just like it deep fried!!!

Thanks,
    Josh

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The tails are the best part, but as long as the shrimp are spoiled and stinky, your in luck.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I use whole raw shrimp.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I always keep my eye for when the shrimp goes on sale and buy more than enough for a couple trips. What ever is on sale is the best kind to fish with, long as its raw. One trick I do with shrimp is to get a big bottle of red food coloring and take a small ziploc bag with me when i go fishing. When I get to my spot i peel the shrimp and dump a couple in the bag add some food coloring. Im not sure what the food coloring does maybe gives it more of a crawfish look, learned that years ago from a old man. IMO best way to fish shrimp is drifting, for some reason i end up catching alot of buffalo when fishing from the bank with it.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    see if you can find some bait shrimp in your area as it is cheaper.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Young fishing dude!Listen to the MASTER!:roll_eyes: Only use shrimp that start with "S" if you use shrimp that start with "L" like liver they don't work as well as shrimp that start with "S".I have had to learn this hard fishing lesson during my 55 year fishing apprenticeship.:big_smile: :lol: Doesnt matter what color they are or if they have the shell on or off as long as they start with "S":eek:oooh: :big_smile: :lol: :smile2: :roll_eyes:

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Certain times of the year,Shrimp and mullet are as readily available as Shad and Bluegill are to you inland fishermen.When living on or near the coast for years,I would stockpile several hundred pounds each of bait shrimp and mullet when they were running and easy to catch.With 3 fishing children,friends and relatives,500 lbs.of bait shrimp frozen in pints always seemed to disappear before the shrimp returned.They are a great bait for fresh and salt water fishing.I run my hooks through the shell as I find it makes it harder for the fish to get off.The freezer dries them out unless you freeze them in water.I found these dried out shrimp to be good bait as they are tough and stay on the hook better.I don;t believe fish bite them quite as good as fresh shrimp,or shrimp froze in water.I do not believe that they bite shrimp frozen in city chlorinated water as well as they bite shrimp froze in non chlorinated water.I have gone shrimping with a friend,Shrimp were running small.We halved the shrimp as usual.We each took ours home and froze in our tap water.His city with chlorine.Mine was country well water.When both were later used side by side on fishing trips.We both believed the salt and the freshwater fish bit the country water shrimp better.Can they smell the chlorine?When I lived at the beach,we froze our bait shrimp in sea water as the tap water had chlorine.You can now buy bottled distilled water to freeze them in.As for stinking bait.My belief is that the fresher the bait the better.Many times I have tried smelly or spoiled bait side by side with with fresh.Chicken,beef,fish,and shrimp.From crabbing to fishing.Fresh and salt water.I always did better on the fresh bait,when I tried them side by side.Ice to preserve bait and fish was not as readily available in the past,as it is today.You often had to drive many miles to a town with a Ice House.You tried to use your old bait as it went bad in a hurry.peewee-williams

8. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Josh, Since you are landlodged there in Pittsburgh, live shrimp is probably out of the question although this is my favorite! I would go to your local seafood market and ask for bait shrimp. They will most likely will be frozen with their heads off. I find after a few cast their heads come off anyway. If your shrimp goes bad (and believe me you know when it does) many fish won't touch it. However I have never tried fishing for cats or anything freshwater with shrimp. Let us know how it goes for you. Good luck.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Jennifer.While fishing for "Butter Cats" I learned that,at times all kinds of the larger bream and pan fish will bite Shrimp.Cut them up in the smaller segments the way their shell runs,and fish them on a#4 to#6 bream hooks or as I prefer a #8 Kahle.You may have fished for Croaker,Whiting and various small saltwater fish for eating or bait this way.They will also bite very small minnows,including our "Salt Water Polliwogs".Large "Polliwogs"are great float fished bait for "Chain Pickerel"in black water.Catfish don;t seem to like them very well.peewee-williams

10. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Peewee, thanks for the useful information! Appreciate it!:smile2:

11. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bingo! I use the same, whole raw shrimp, fresh w/ the shell and tail on. For me it has been a real killer bait for channel cats. Tiger shrimp is my choice, bigger the better. Works perfect on the circle hooks.

12. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for you replys I'm gonna check the stores later today when my mom goes for grociers see if I can't get here to buy it for me!!!!

13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I use 51-60 count shrimp from the seafood department of the local grocery store. I usually hook it all the way through the shrimp, hiding the hook until the tail. I get a lot so that i can save the leftovers to rot, then I take the leftovers back out again. It just keeps getting nastier and nastier, but I catch more and more fish.

14. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    on the local store's sale papers. Down here, the Food Lion and Kroger will compeat and some great sales on shrimp. Sometimes they run sales "buy 1 pound get 2 lbs. free" or "2 lbs. for 1 lb." price. You just have to read the papers. I like the larger shrimp, but any will catch cats. I like raw with shell on the best. Good luck!

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    They will stay on the hook better with the shell on, I have had good luck soaking them in vanilla extract and garlic. Have even had some for so long that when opening the container the smell would make you gag.

16. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I'd check with my local meat department person and ask if they have any they are tossing out. Especially ask for "whole uncooked" shrimp. They don't last very long in a display being uncooked. I'd use the whole shrimp too...even if you have to thread him on your hook like a worm. The head and torso of the shrimp have some serious EVIL stuff in them and should work well without leaving them in the sun. One of the true benefits of living close to the Pacific Ocean!!
    Don

17. only1dman67

only1dman67 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know this is going to sound funny but try it and see. Take some chicken breast and cut it into squares and sprinkle a pack of red cool-aid on them do not add water but sprinkle it directly on the the raw chicken breast on rub it on. It works pretty good for me. A older gentle turned me on to this and the catfish love it.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have heard of people using koolaid in dough baits and having some good luck with it.

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just get the raw ones, you can use anise or vanilla to help also. Good luck with em Josh.

20. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Try using frozen grass shrimp without the heads; ive never gotten skunked using them!