Shrimp, chicken liver, Shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by yellowcat8, Dec 31, 2005.

1. yellowcat8

yellowcat8 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Which one of these three baits has worked best for you and what were the results?

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Depending on the area I go to,and the conditions/time of year-I would say bring all 3.That what I try to do.I've caught more blues on the shrimp,all 3 species on the shad.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    :0a26: i like to use shrimp for drifting for channel cats, livers i use at the spillway for channels. blues seem to like the liver to but not like the channels i caught my biggest off liver. i like to use shad cutbait for blues in winter around deepholes near shallows come spring ill use live shad if i cant get gills down at the spillway. i dont think there is one thats better than the other just that one may work better in diffrent places at diffrent times than another would

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Shad, I hardly ever take the other two! :glare:

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I take all 3, but depending on what they are biting on. Need all 3 where I dip my hooks :D

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Skipjack or shad definitely take first place. Waaaay back in second place is cured chicken livers.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    If I'm running jugs for eating size fish I use liver and shad.
    Drifting and still fishing for trophy size blues and flats I use shad and perch and some times carp for bait.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shad without a doubt for larger channels and flatheads...If I am just fishing for small channels chicken liver.

9. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've had much more luck with shad.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I got to say - of those three - "it Shad" (Fresh or Fozen) :0a23:

I've gotten some nice size Channels on it.

Bert :cool:

11. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've been catfishin' for a year now, and I'd have to go with chicken livers and shad. Shad seem to work better in open water, but chicken livers work better in large creeks and smaller river backwaters. Chicken livers are also easier to keep and very inexpensive.

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

shad is my main stay bait. i use it all the time with great sucess!!!!!

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    One lake I fish, the nod goes to shrimp. My other fishing hole gets the chicken liver nod.

14. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    out of those three my favorite is shrimp.I live by the st. Johns river and I like to use shrimp when I go night fishing. The biggest catfish that I ever caught was on shrimp.

15. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I have to go with Cutshad ofcourse!!! :D Really though I have more consistent bites in lakes and spillways on shad. I have had success on shrimp and I still use it, doctored up a bit though. All three will go with me more often than not. Jerry Trew got me interested in cured chicken livers awhile back and they work great. I didn't use them for the longest time because they were difficult to keep on a hook. But if you cure them you can cast them as far as you want and use them on jugs and trotlines. Just depends on the Mr. Whiskers! :glare:

16. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    For blues and flats i use cut shad and for channels i would use livers.

They all work good.