Shrimp as bait for Channel Cats?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Riverrunner88, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Riverrunner88

Riverrunner88 New Member

State:
    GrandRiver Ohio
    Anyone use shrimp often?..i used it quite a bit with good luck in the bigger rivers

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    IT'S A GO TO BAIT WHEN YOU DO NOT HAVE SHAD OR SKIP JACK:smile2:

3. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Never tried it, But I am going to now.

4. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    had good luck with shrimp as far as # of fish

5. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Shrimps a little to expensive for me here. At $13 dollars a bag i wont be using them any time soon.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    shrimp is a great bait, i just don't use it. i can use shad, carp, and perch for dang near free. i do see a lot of folks doing real good on shrimp though.

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I found catching shrimp on sale at Wally World is cheaper than buying crawdads..I like to open the frozen bag and pour in some manhandering milk (fish oil) and seal the bag back up..I seem to get more bites with the fish oil or with garlic powder..you will catch a lot of channels. Using the fish oil or garlic powder keeps ya from changing your mind and eating your own bait!:eek:oooh:

8. Riverrunner88

Riverrunner88 New Member

State:
    GrandRiver Ohio
    haha i do have that problem sometimes eating the shrimp..thanks i'll have to try that!

9. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    PRETTY MUCH USED SHRIMP ALL MY LIFE.NEVER CATCH NO MONSTERS ON THEM BUT YOU DO HAVE STEADY ACTION WITH EATERS.

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    lots of other things better like danny kings. an old timer did tell me one time to use shrimp, peel shell off, and spray it with sparklescales attractant. who knows? lol

11. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I`ve had great luck with shrimp here in WV and also in SC. A buddy of mine fishes the Santee Cooper lakes and has caught cats up to 50#.

12. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Shrimp works surprizingly good. I always assumed it wouldn't work in fresh water, but I was quite wrong and happily so.

As far as cost, you can often get your local grocery stores to sell (in some cases give it away for free) spoiled or old shrimp as long as you tell them you arent planning on eating it.

I have better luck with cut bait (whatever lives in the body of water your fishing, the normal food source) but when I'm too lazy to catch bait, shrimp is my bait of choice. Out performs livers, and stays on the hook quite well too.

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Shrimp is really good channel catfish bait I have used it several times and have caught cats on it one thing that I noticed the best shrimp to buy is shelled shrimp the shrimp that still has legs on it, its a good catfish bait keep us posted on how it works for you.

14. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    shrimp has always provided a pretty steady bite for me. I have found that for me it has outperformed everything else except for fresh shad cut bait, live shad, bluegill, or even goldfish. shrimp is a good solid steady performer in my book.

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    great bait to use i always take some when the bite is slow

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I've used bait shrimp for the last 2 years and have had great success with it. I caught many nice channel cats and even wipers on the shrimp. I always use the TV brand bait shrimp. Thanks..:wink:

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use shrimp all the time it works great.Just remember to get the brown uncooked kind not the pink ones thats already been boiled.

18. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Sometimes I do really well with shrimp, and sometimes not. I used to by the frozen shrimp, but have started getting fresh shrimp and seem to have better luck with it :big_smile: The channels really love it, but sometimes blues will bite it, and even white perch.

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well I've tried it on many occasions and IMO it aint worth it. I've been able to test it side by side with other baits and it didn't hold up. Will they bite it...yep. But for my hours on the lake..it don't pan out.

Only a opinion but..... you just cant beat a fresh cut herring/bream/shad for channels/blues.

Sorry my shrimp brothers but I aint gonna waist a good hook on shrimp.....

-Jim-

20. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Ok let talk a bit. I've caught channels on shrimp and other cut baits heron, perch,bream and bass. But the thing is. It's not your bait of choice but are you fishing were the cats are. There are things to consider. You have Spring, summer, fall and winter patterns. You have Prespawn, Spawn and post spawn. These things differ across the country because it is base on water temps. But since this thread is about shrimp. I'll say if you are fishing were the cats are. Shrimp is a great bait.:wink: And catch many a Channels.