Show Me Catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by TeamWhiskers, Jun 24, 2007.

1. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Show Me Catfishing

Missouri is the “Show Me” State.. So I’ll try to give it a shot!!

Some think there is luck involved in fishing, then again there are many that do not believe in it. There are many other aspects play into your fishing experience rather you are just out there to have fun or fishing at the World Cup. Work or Play? Some think the harder they work at fishing, the more they catch. I prefer thinking it as Play instead of work. You sometimes tend to play harder than you would at work anyhow.. Here are just a few general aspects to know no matter what your level is..

Confidence.. You need to try to keep an upbeat attitude out there on the water. From running your boat on the bigger rivers and having the confidence to run over those barge waves to knowing where to find fish. It takes years sometimes to become confident in your fishing routine. Start with the smaller ones and get to where you can target them, then work yourself up in the size categories. Keeping a good confident attitude does play a major part of your fishing.

Doing your research. There are many aspects to prefishing either for a tournament or just going out there to have a good time. From looking at river maps to actually out there running the river and finding the holes. Read as much as you can on not only the place you will be fishing at that time and also factor in the weather for that time period.

Know your tackle and equipment well. Know how your various poles will perform with given line weights. This then will depend on the type of weights and hooks that you will use. Play around with them and get confident in what you use. The factors that will then go into this is water depth and current speed. Rather it is a medium weight pole with 6 pound test going for dinks with dipbait to the larger heavy weight poles for the Trophys.

Know your boats capabilities and how to maneuver it in certain situations. Believe me, you will get instant feed back when your partner is up in front throwing the net if you gas it too much in reverse! Learn how to set your anchor or anchors to put your boat in just that right spot for a spread of poles. There are many anchors out there, so learn how each one works in the various type of bottoms on the water.

Practice, practice, practice… You can never spend enough time on the water. Confidence comes into play when you know you can throw that rig and hit a 5 gallon bucket anywhere you want. The bucket or target might be a few inches above a log jam to in between barges so the weight will then roll down under neigh of it. Know when to set the hook only comes from practice and knowing your types of hooks for example.

Know how to adapt to changes. River change constantly first of all. Fish will change patterns from being on the bottom in deep holes to hanging out on ledges. Learn the different aspects of fishing when the river is rising and going down. Take several baits with you and have an open mind to change until you find out what they are biting on. Don’t be afraid to adapt to the situation from your normal routine as taking a few calculated chances just might pay off.

This now is where your mental preparation all comes into play. Don’t get frustrated and keep a positive attitude to prevent negative situations from distracting yourself. Don’t think about other outside situations that might have an impact on your life as this will distract you. Your out there to fish and have a good time. So focus on your fishing. Keep a positive outlook on life and you will find everything will go much better.

Enjoy yourself out there fishing is the main thing. You are not fishing in tournaments where time is essential to and catching fish for the scales. There shouldn’t be any pressure out there. Take time to smell the roses of having your first boat or first catfish pole. Enjoy learning how to use them and the various techniques for catching catfish. Catfishing is a Sport now, so cherish every moment with your friends and family out there. Live every minute like it was your last as you will have memories that will last a life time of each experience out there fishing..

Vince Copple
    TeamWhiskers

2. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good advice whiskers. Being new at this for me is easy too get discouraged. I will learn, I will learn, Iwill learn..............

3. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We are all still learning as the tough part is getting past the human ego to ask the questions. Can we learn more about the Catfish since it is able to adapt to polluted waters that can perhaps help us? Yes. I think we can as more research is needed just on some of the basics. What colors attract or repel the catfish was one that I asked a few weeks ago to a few DNR offices. Nobody seemed to know the answer of just that question alone. So it is up to us to ask the questions and perhaps start research if necessary. I don’t know about you all, but I would rather see our tax dollars go to something like this instead of some of these other ummmm “expenditures” as they call it.

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great advise whiskers....Thanks

5. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Great post!!! Thanks for some good info bro!!

6. wielms6

wielms6 New Member

State:
    warrenton missouri
    numbers of fish and quality of fish caught i have recently laerned is directly related to TOW( time on water) you laern with out even knowing it just mostly by trial and error error error error and when the old timers at this game talk shut up and listen then go home and sort out the BSthe rest is useful info

7. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Never be afraid to ask a question. That has always been my advice. and no matter how much experience you have you can always learn something new.

8. nwbearcat50

nwbearcat50 New Member

State:
    Maryville, Mo.
    Thanks Vince. It's awsome to have experienced fisherman taking the time to help out us new guys. I'm sure everyone in the BOC can use advice and a boost of confidence from time to time. Your post is a testiment to what I feel the BOC is all about, along with getting to know fellow fishermen and pokin' fun now and then. I'm really glad to be a part of the BOC and I look forward to the day when I can help folks like you and many others in the BOC do. Thanks again.

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have to understand the various Species of the Catfish rather if it be Channels, Blues or Flatheads. They will all act different not only depending on water conditions, habitats, and or feeding patterns, but also their size. Learning how to target certain Species and Sizes is a key factor to the success of Tournament fishing. You just don’t go out there to catch fish in general or the biggest one you can get in most cases. You need to know what you are going after and then factor in the probability rate of the bodies of water you will be fishing on. Each size limit will then determine what type of tackle, poles and bait that you take with you.

Once you start to get a grasp of that concept, then you have to understand the baits which is one of the most important factors. What will it take to entice that 60 pound Blue to bite? or a 50 pound Flathead? What type of scent or amino acid will it take being blood, guts, brains or oils? What type of live bait fish, fresh kill or cut bait will it take? Do you want the bait to look natural or in distress? Or do you use crawdads, leaches or even eels? How do you then hook the bait for the presentation to the Catfish? These are just a few of the next factors that we have to further understand.

The basis of Catfish knowledge is your tackle. Know what each pole will do and the type of reel that you can use. This will depend upon the various types and size of line. They all have their unique pros and cons. Same goes with the size and types of hooks. Know the various rigs that you can use rather if you want it on the bottom or suspended. This will factor in the type and size of your weights depending on the water depth and current. You certainly do not want to throw a 3 way with a roll sinker directly into a log jam as all you are asking for is to get hung up.

So take these concepts as you start to build your knowledge rather if you are a serious Pro or just out having fun. Open your mind to accept new ideas and concepts as you stumble along the learning curve. There is much more to our Sport of Catfishing than just a can of worms and a Zebco 202 as that is just a start. Good luck and See ya on the Water!

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good Post Vinny, now get them naners outa your boat and you'll catch some big ones. :wink:

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cuz.. Ill make you a deal.. Ill give up the nanners for fishing in your boat. But I will not give up the fruit flavored Rolaids. Ill even go to the trouble of seperating out the bananna ones also if that will make you feel better. Just goes to show that some people just have strange hang ups.. Geeze! What you dont go through to make people happy!

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey, ah, Vince. Just what, exactly, is it about riding in Cuz's boat, that makes you insist on bringing Rolaids?
    :0a28::0a10:

13. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The combination of too much coffee/caffeine and bologna sandwiches gives me heart burn is the bottom line for taking rolaids. This brings up another point. Do you catch more fish if you are hungry or full from snacking or eating all day out on the water?

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats a fair deal. You must take out the naner flavored ones though. :big_smile: After a day on the water with me, most would need Rolaids. :wink:Well, Kutter, You'll just need a rain coat, and an emergency shelter for those pop up thunderstorms. :smile2: Vince needs a gas can. :eek:oooh:

15. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    After that event... I DID go out and get an extra boat gas tank just incase or would you like to have the 55 gallon drum that sits in the front of my boat now that can be used for gas?? Originally had water in my gas and used it to strain it out, so your welcome to use it! Even have an electric gas pump to throw in... BTW.. Cuz.. My gas guage doesnt work. Not only I cant figure out how to wire it, but it will always make ya wonder till I do... LOL

16. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks everyone for all the emails from the article on here. Show Me Catfishing also appeared in the July Issue of Adventure Sports Outdoors. We all have to do our part for the Sport and thanks for the support from all my friends and brothers here in BOC.
    Vince
    TeamWhiskers

17. Parker

Parker New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    thanks that was a great post-- awesome advice

18. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    super post thanks from iowa