Should white perch be protected?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Mac-b, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The white perch (Morone americana) is a fish that originated from the coastal waters of the Atlantic Ocean. They have moved as far inland as Wisconsin, Ohio, Kansas, Minnesota, North and South Carolina, New Jersey and other states.

Public officials in Wisconsin, state that the white perch has had an adverse affect of the Walleye in the Bay of Quinte of the north shore of Lake Ontario. They claim that the white perch eats the eggs and fry of the walleye. Also, they are concern with the hybridization of the white bass and the white perch.

Kansas has a do not release policy as it relates to white perch and do not transfer to other locals.

Minnesota has placed the white perch on it's 'prohibited invasive species list', same as do not release.

South Carolina, this year took the white perch off it's protected (game fish) list. Which means that you can harvest them any way you want too.

In North Carolina it is listed as a game fish, same as a bream or gill. You can not catch and keep them if captured in a cast net or gill net. You can catch them with a hook and consume them or use them for bait purposes.

This is what I have observed on my home lake (Lake Norman, NC). Since they were introduced into our waters, our white bass population has decrease yearly and as of this date, there have been no reports of any white bass being caught for the past two years. Up until two years ago, I could catch all the yellow (racoon) perch at my dock for bait that I wanted. Last year I only caught several and this year none. I have already sent in a request that the NC DNR give consideration to taking the white perch off the protected game fish list.

I would like to hear from the BOC membership it's take on the pro's and con's of the white perch in your geo. area, good, bad or you don't give a hoot. Mac

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    could you post a picture of a white perch.i know that a white perch is not the same as a crappie so i would like to see one.

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Johnnie, it is not a crappie.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Mac I hale from Pennsylvania i think they shouldnt...At least where I am at...These things litter the Delaware River...In fact two of the regulars at a fishing hole had a contest on how many perch they could pull in...The one gentleman pulled up 46 perch in about 4 hours.....

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Mac, I am from Kansas where they view white perch as a nuisence. They came to a lake close to my house by accident. Well it was actually KDWP who stocked them. They supposedly recieved the wrong fish in an order they had filled. They have completely taken over this lake. They are thicker than shad and are out competing the other gamefish for food. I dont fish this lake often so I dont know about the effect on the cats. I have heard that they make good bait. They allow us to use it only as cutbait. They have been found in other area lakes, most likely from incompetent fisherman who cant read the rules. They have spread like wildfire and will probably be statewide before too long. I dont have an opinion on them, I have not had much experience with them. The lake that has them sucked before they were there. Time will tell. But if they are really bad its too late to do anything anyway.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mac,

is that the same as a sand bass that i use to fish for when I lived in texas? If it is i think they need to do something , what i do not know let the bio.'s figure that out

7. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    My opinion is they should not be protected. They are not native. Because of them we have no white bass. While they might be good bait they put a strain on the ones that have been put here legally

8. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... NO!!!! Those son of a guns are everywhere! It's getting to a point where the bug the SH*^ out of you crappie fishin'. I'm glad i use them for bait if not they would be a over the bank fish!!:smile2:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The Delaware river is loaded with em for a period of about 7 months every year. They make great bait cause the channels are used to feedin on them. Only drawback is don't try to fish with worms for those 7 months. LOL! Dam they are quick and will strip a hook in a New York minute. Theres enough up here if ya need any. LOL!

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    They were removed from the game fish list for the same reasons as stated by Wisconsin: their impact on the eggs and young of many species, including white bass (which we no longer have on Santee Cooper) and stripers. I never through any back alive...

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    They seem to pretty much take over. They are native to South Carolina coast, they were a searun fish just like its cousin the striped bass until they were landlocked.

From what I was told Lake Monticello in South Carolina had "White Bass" at one time but I've fished that lake more than 10 years, I've never caught a white bass there.

I guess I'd say no protection should be granted.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have never had any dealings with white perch but are they good eating and if they are how do they compare with blue gills for taste.

13. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Johnnie, the white perch is great eating, with the bone in.

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    This week I received a letter from one of the NCW DNR people and he said that they would not take any action of the white perch situation. He stated that since it was a salt water fish, it had to stay on the controlled list. So much for that.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thats goof. Why not just put limits on them along the freeflow area along the coast and no limit inland? The ones in Norman, Wylie and Badin are not gonna make it back to the saltwater anyway.

16. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    They should be removed from game fish status west of I95 at least.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    MAC I had a guide on Santee tell me that the White Bass schools on the lakes were enormous in the past and now there arent any to amount to anything.This seems to be symtomatic to their introduction into any body of water with a White Bass population.I would rather have the WHite Bass but its way to late to do anything now as it would be impossible to eliminate them,even if they lost gamefish status.

18. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    In my opinion the gamefish status should be dropped. These fish are present in nearly all the Catawba chain lakes and the results I've witnessed has been the same for all of them. I also think the aelwife has taken alot of heat because of the white perch since they were both introduced around the same time at LKN. I will also have to agree with Jim that they would not be able to be eliminated even if the gamefish status was to be removed but it would definetly help to control the population a little and cut down on some competition for forage with other species. I can think of numerous times that I've thrown my net and could hardly pick it up from the white perch in it and my 5/8 mesh gills them and they are a pain in the rearend to get out. Just my two cents worth.

Shane

19. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    They eat Crappie eggs, are more aggressive than bream/crappie for food, therefore they must go!!