Should TN give in to georgia ???

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ShannonLane4, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ShannonLane4

ShannonLane4 New Member

State:
    TN
    Should Georgia be able to tap into the tn river ???

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    For what reason??? I don't understand the question!!!

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think its to help replentish their dwindeling water supply JW.

4. ShannonLane4

ShannonLane4 New Member

State:
    TN
    Sorry they are wanting to move the state line 1 mile so they can send millions of gallons of water to atlanta

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    What will Tennessee get in return?

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If it's to offset the drought that is occuring in the southern most states, absolutely.

Ga has a major water shortage that's affecting Fl also.

When other disasters occure, there's no questions asked.

7. ShannonLane4

ShannonLane4 New Member

State:
    TN
    Nothing that i know of

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Alot would have to take place for it to happen. From the info I've gathered, both State Houses would have to agree to it, then it would go before the US Congress for a final decision. I'm hearing it isn't going to happen.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It looks to me like Georgia did not care about or want it until it would benefit them.If those people have been paying taxes in Tn.all of these years with out a protest from the state of Ga.,I don't see where Ga. has a leg to stand on.

This did not just start.It has been around for a long time and ignored.Both state line and water problem.Water shortage?What water shortage?It is just the normal bottom of a cycle.They knew this water cycle has been going on for thousands of years and people ignored it like it would never happen again.Mismanagement of the available resources yes.Shortage no.

Now.It is my understanding that many big cities with the help of the federal gov.is condemning and TAKING property,water shed lands and water sources in other states to supply water to their cities.This has been going on for many years.I don't see where a state line has stopped them yet.

If they would repair their leaks,it would greatly benefit them.I saw city water flowing down a street in Savannah Georgia for 40 years.It may still be running as I have not been there in 13 years.I was told by the owner of a old business there that it had been running for over 50 years.Yet during this time Savannah was constantly drilling new wells.This was on Wheaton street.Thousands of unconcerned residents saw it each and every day.Dozens of city vehicles of all types ran through it every day.Let it leak,just get more water!No wonder cities want more water.This can not go on or happen with out the citizens being just as irresponsible as their officials.They don't care and their solution is to just TAKE someone else's water.They will let others do without before they will fix their leaks.:angry:

Put each cities sewage discharge on the same level and 6 foot upstream of their water intake.I guarantee the citizens will see that the sewage does not pollute and that the water is cleaned.People downstream need to realize just how many times their water has gone through a human body and how many times it has been flushed.Add the hog farms,chicken farms and dog do do and you really have a concoction that has been recycled through a body many times before it gets to them.How does your water taste?Does it taste like a Leroy,Jane,Poodle,Hog or Chicken?Hey!That is what it has been a part of.It will keep getting worse until WE do something about it.

Think about it.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You know what happens down river? We have not had enough water here.
    Also From what I can hear. TVA has been sending them water. As East Tn can get a good rain. And the river does not even see it here in West Tn.
    So it has to be going somewhere.
    I for one hate it for Ga. But its sucks to be them. TVA and the Government are not going to stop barge traffic on the Tn River. And that is what would happen in dry years. The last year or so. That is all the water we have had here. Is just enough for barge traffic. And then the barges have to draft 3 ft less then years before.
    Let Atlanta do what city's near us are doing, And out in pipe lines and build more water shed lakes to store the water. Or do without.
    We were 37+ Inches under on rain here last year. so its not just Ga that is in a drought.
    Also is this in print anywhere? That Ga is trying to do this?
    Pete

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    All I got to say.
    We are rapidly advancing to water war.

In the coming years as the population ever increases more, you'll see more lawsuits, litigations, and laws either made or changed because of water.

I look for some centuries old ripiary laws all across the country to be threatened.
    Basicly, thats stripping ownership from private hands.

12. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Yeah, it's in print. Georgia's trying to fall back on saying they surveyed the border wrong back in the 1800's. They're resorting to drastic measures to get control of Nickajack reservoir. One of their representitives was saying "oh, we won't use that much water"...lol :big_smile: Wave bye-bye to Nickajack Lake too. For all I know the survey was done wrong, but I can't imagine using that as a reason to take land away over a century later that has been occupied and developed by a different state and it's citizens. At this point they should have to buy there water or find new ways to obtain it.

13. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't think they should, Atlanta should make the best of the natural resources they have. Let me give y'all some facts. The metro Atlanta area is comprised of 16 counties. GA has 159 counties. Those 16 counties in the metro are almost equal in population to the other 143 counties combined (over 4 million people). Most of GA actually has plenty of water, but ATL doesn't. Before Atlanta goes after more water from anywhere they should fix the infrastructure there (they lose over 50 million gallons a day to leaks, broken water mains, etc.). Conservation and low-flow plumbing fixtures should be utilized before ATL just goes after more water. GA has already had some in-state water wars because ATL takes water from the Coosa basin in N. GA. Now they want the TN River and the Savannah River is probably next. Something has to be done about the ATL area growth because the upper Chattahoochee basin and Lake Lanier simply cannot sustain the water needs there. By taking water from other River systems you limit growth and water supplies there, which simply isn't fair. This whole situation will get ugly in the years to come. We Georgians will be fighting with each other and the state will stay in court with FL, AL, and eventually TN and SC too. The water situation will only get worse. There will be another drought years from now and by then the water demand will be much higher because of population growth, causing even more water shortages. We need rain desperately, but it will only temporarily fix a growing problem that will resurface down the road.

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bumper pretty well said it like it is and so did Pee Wee. Here is a link to the story when it went national. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330113,00.html

What it amounts to is Atlanta hasn't tried to control it's growth, thinking of only the taxes generated. They have out grown their selves and now want a quick fix. If they would use their resources wisely and not waste so much they wouldn't have this problem.

If GA does get that part of the Tennessee, Pete you will never get any water down your way and the power plants below Chattanooga will have to go back to using coal to generate.

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I could well understand if it was a unknown or unforeseeable thing.It is not.Not only are they lying about a well known for years natural water cycle coming and calling it a DROUGHT,they see nothing wrong in wasting much of what they have all the while hollering for others water so they can waste it too.Calling this a drought is like hollering drought between every rain if it is raining daily.Below average is not abnormal when you know/knew it has been happening for thousands of years and have ignored it for decades.This a perfectly normal weather cycle that has been ignored.

I came up around hogs.They will and do use,wallow,play and waste all water that they have access to if they can.I see no difference in the way the Atlanta areas people use their water.How many leaks,pools,fountains,car washes,Golf courses and water amusement parks for people to waste,wallow and play in/with the water as hogs do?A bunch.How many fixed or closed to conserve water?None.If they are going to do nothing but act like hogs in the wasting of their water and just squeal for more,WE CAN NOT HELP THEM.They will continue to waste all that they can get and keep squealing for more as they are now doing.If they succeed,no one will have water in the end.

I will and have helped people who I can help all of my life.I learned long ago that you can not help people who take it,waste it and keep on demanding more.I see this here.I live in Georgia.This situation in this area was known to be coming and in the news nation wide years ago.These folks would not even fix their leaks to save water.Now they DEMAND and attempt to TAKE yours and others water.This is just a start!

Are folks going to let them take them down with them or are they going to make these folk get off their butt and help their selves?Right now they are still sitting on their butt squealing for YOU to do it for them.They will still be doing the same when they have wasted all of our water too if we let them.What are your grandchildren going to drink if these people get their way?Think about it.Think about it hard.It is already here.The big cities ignored it and now they demand YOUR water.It is going to get worse.Much worse.

These folk have ignored it for 30 years after it was brought to my attention down here in south east Georgia about this was going to happen to them in the future.They did not care,ignored it and just kept on taking and wasting.They deliberately worked very hard to create this situation that they knew was coming because they expected YOU to bail them out.This situation was knowingly and deliberately created and allowed to happen.It will continue on if they are successful in getting your water until it is all wasted.

Check it out and think about it.

16. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    If they did get it, what would happen? Let's see here, first off nickajack's water level is gone but so what? Well then chickamauga dam will have to release more water to raise the level back up because of the environmental impact of low water levels on some species. This would create a chain reaction up the river system to watts bar, fort loudon, and so on,not counting the hiwassee river which is my home turf and personally kind of like it the way it is. But that is all regulated by TVA so it might not happen anyway, but if it did by the time the construction process is over we might be out of this D@#& drought and they wouldn't need as much water anyway. I don't think we would see the reprocussions of this nearly as much as our children. But after all the BILLIONS if not TRILLIONS of dollars that has been spent to make this river system profitable and navigable I don't see a government backed outfit like TVA giving up anything. Not to mention all the people that sure ain't gonna want to pay a state tax in georgia (WE DON'T HAVE ONE )

17. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It sounds like GA needs a water restriction.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I could understand helping temporarily, but not permanately. Could turn into a domino affect, tn helps ga, our supply goes down we get help from another state and so on.

19. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I have a daughter in warner robins. A few years ago they were n the same condition as atlanta. the cycle changed and now they have plenty of water. I believe the cycle will change for atlanta soon and they will have plenty. When it does the powers that be need to start to plan for the next dry spell and not wait till they dry up again. If Tennessee gives up our water where are we going to turn we are also in a drought.

20. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I see no need for help until they start fixing leaks and start conserving all of their known wasting of water.They are doing neither.They are sitting on their butt screaming like a spoiled child for others to do for them.

I see no want for help.I have seen no asking for help.I have seen no helping their selves.All I see is a want to take what is not theirs from others!Before politically correct it was called wasting and stealing.

I have tried helping such many times in my life.The more they got,the more they wasted,the more they expected,the more they demanded.It never stops.