Should they allow spinning wing decoys in arkanasas yes or no

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by shovehead1, Sep 3, 2008.

1. shovehead1

shovehead1 New Member

State:
    Trumann,Arkansas
    I thing they should allow them back

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think that it should be your choice. I personally think they have ran their course. They seem to be flaring ducks more than attracting them.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've never used them and from what i've seen , won't. It's hard to beat a jerk string, kickin the water and knowing how to call. Callin ain't near as much as how you sound as it is when to call and what to say.:wink:

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    A jerk string won't run out of batteries mid morning either:wink:

5. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    We use a wind operated decoy, and have purchased 2 more. But while we use them we also know when to get them out of the spread. One of the areas we hunt gets hit really hard all season long. Plus they have drawings for hunts in the refuge. What we see is by the end of November spinners do way more harm than good. I've seen duck literally turn over in midair when the see those. After they get burned a couple of times they learn. We'll leave ours home from then on.I'd say good early, but not late.
    Now whether they should be legal I say sure because the birds will figure them out. Just watch and see.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ive been hunting Arkansas for 10+years and I can tell you when those things 1st came out I have seen ducks break their necks to get on them but they have "run there course" IMHO. I still have 2 and neither 1 ha been out fthe house in 2 years.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you just can't beat a well set up spread of good old plastic dekes. i say if folks want to spend more on a single spinner that costs as much as a dozen regular dekes, let em get after it! i know they work in places, but not good enough to decimate the duck population.

8. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    They are illegal here in PA but apparently not in OH. One of the biggest waterfowl spots in Western PA actually pokes into OH a little and guys are always tryin to come in from OH and put up them dekes a little farther every day. Ive been on the island and seen guys set them up not 200 yards away and I was never all that impressed. Like most of you guys have said, I will take a dozen more good dekes (flocked heads please) over a spinner any day. The best tools are still scouting, patience, time on the water, and playin the wind, oh and SWING BABY SWING

9. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I don't use them, but I don't have anything against them. There are plenty of checks and balances, like bag limits and seasons.... Why not.

10. blackriverfisher

blackriverfisher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    my friend goes to ASU and he said ark. is allowing them this year and all the guys at ASU are stoked about it. there was even a outdoor shop some where down there selling them for 30 bucks and my friend asked them why they where so cheep compared to $65 and the owner said no one knows its legal

11. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I had some sucess with them right after they came out, but now it seems to me like they do more damage than good.

12. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Use them - yes or no? From my own personal use and observation, they worked very well - for a little while! By the time the ducks get to Arkasa or Louisiana, they should all be wearing t-shirts that say "Been There, Done That!" as they have seen it all in the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. and the survivors become more and more difficult to fool. Strange how they will turn off the most beautiful set of 75-80 new decoys and championship class calling but fog into six old deeks, a few soft "Quacks" on the call and kicking the water a time or three. Can anyone tell me a more beautiful site than a greenhead locked up and slipping in through the tree limbs? I thought not.
    IIRC, we did and do this same thing with the flags and geese. I've used the flag, still do, and it works. But overuse probably runs off as many or more birds than bad calling or too much calling. If the birds are coming to you, doing what you want, set tight and call just a lil' bit - it works!
    So, use the spiners or no, I think they have a place where they can be useful. But with or without them, let 'em work! You just have to go home when you limit out and the dog ain't ready to leave!

13. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I say bann them every where and make duck hunting fun again.It would sure clear out all the guys that just thought they could duck hunt.What happened to learning how to blow a call and setting out your decoys.They are still legal here in kansas but from what i'm hearing it may not be for much longer.My dad uses at least 4 every time he goes out but he can't blow a call either so he needs them.:smile2:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just read in the latest issue of NAHC that they are legal again in Ar.

15. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    we have used 5 spinning wing decoys on a spread of 20 dozen decoys and it seems to work on big waters. in small water we dont use them we just diversify on color and that seems to work well. if u really want to attrack ducks just take a nap! seems to work when i do it:confused2:

16. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In a new issue of 'Fur-Fish-Game' received yeterday I noted that the State of Arkansas has decided to allow the use of spinning wing decoys again. Seems the greatest concern was the over harvest of juvenile ducks and this was not proven to be the case so they have allowed them again.