Should the crossbow be allowed during Bow season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by SSG Johnson, Sep 7, 2005.

Should Crossbows be legalized during bow season Poll

1. Crossbows should stay illegal and not be used at all

2. Crossbows should be used only by the disabled

3. Crossbows should only be legal during rifle or shotgun season

4. Crossbows should be legal across the board and during bow season

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Lets have a poll and see what everyone thinks not just those willing to post on this.

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I messed up my own poll I should have voted disabled only so it has one more vote in reality.

3. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    You really are wishy washy huh? LOL :p

It's been a great debate. I think that everyone is passionate about their sport and their style. I s'pose we could have the same debate over Chevy/Ford/Toyota/etc or Budweiser/Miller/Coors/etc. I can agree to disagree. Sorry if I was rude or obnoxious. No hard feelings on my end.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ill give you 2 guesses as to who the 2 people were who voted for xbows to be illegal and not be used at all. LOL :D

5. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Well, one admitted that he made a mistake. That makes only one voter for making/keeping crossbows illegal.

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Wrong as usual Derby, haven't voted yet :p

Been on the bowsite reading about Kentucky, good stuff both ways.

Now get ready, tally the votes so you can figure out which way I went :crying:

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    So do you have a website address for the rest of us to read?

8. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Never a hard feeling from me Im just glad to see other hunters as passionate about there end of the sport as I am. Im sure if someone tried to take hunting away from us all together we would def. be on the same team hitting them stride for stride. Its been a good debate regardless of the out come we will have to keep an eye on this one to see how it turns out. I just thought and know there was alot more people reading the tread than posting and would like to see where everyone stands on this. I might be suprized at how all this turns out.

9. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    I dont Bow Hunt because I have DJD in my Back and Hips ... I cant pull any Bow string back at all ... and now that im disabled its even harder to handle a Bow ...

Luckly PA regualtions allow a disabled hunter to obtain a permit from the Game Commision to hunt with a Crossbow if you are disabled ...

I havent gotten a Crossbow yet due to money constrictions but at least I know that if I wanted to I could go Bow Hunting with a Crossbow ... I dont see why there is a problem with allowing disabled hunters to hunt with a Crossbow .... Thou I do feel if you can handle a Bow or if your able to pull a Bow string back you should use a Compound or a Recurve Bow and not to be allowed to use a Crossbow to hunt ... this is only my opinion and it could be different from yours ...

But disabled hunters have rights to ... and if they want to hunt they should be allowed to hunt if they buy their liscene ... and permits ...

A SAFE hunter is a GOOD hunter ...

10. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I certaninly wouldnt have a problem with a disabled hunter using a cross bow at all.

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I belive that if your disable you should be allowed to hunt with a cross bow, however if your not disabled you should not be allowed to hunt with one. I have a broke neck and DJD in my shoulder but was told that I did not meet the requirments to hunt with a cross bow. because of this I sold my bow because I could nolonger pull it back. Now 2 years later thay say any one here can use a cross bow during bow season. Now if you ask me that is just down right wrong.

12. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    I voted for Disabled only. That how it is in IL and should be everywhere. Crossbows would make bowhunting to easy and ruin it for me. One of the best part of bowhunting is seeing all the deer and the storys of the one you could not get a shoot on. My grandpa has a permit to use a crossbow and for a good reason. If you are disable it should not mean you can't enjoy the 3 1/2 month of bow season and only 7 days of slug season. So what I'm saying is, if I was given a chance to use a crossbow I would not use it.

13. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I voted disabled only. It was put in the law for that and when it got chaged everyone that has one thinks they are an instant archer and I can out shoot you crap. But it doesn't work that way all the time. I'm glad good archery clubs don't allow them.

14. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont think anyone has a problem with the disabled using a xbow. Also xbows arent illegal, they just have 7-10 days at the end of the year, at least here in KY.

15. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I forgot to vote but I'll go back and do it.
    In my Dad's last few years, his walking was hard on him. Virginia had a special permit that allowed dis abled persons special privaliges.One was shooting from a roadway. Without such ammendments to hunting laws, he wouldn't have been able to do one of the things he loved to do.I believe it kept him comfortable while still enjoying a favorite hobby/.

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I read where you can actually use a crossbow for 31 days of deer season in KY, that includes it in rifle and smokepole season.

17. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    Here in MD> it is leagle to use a crossbow . It seems to be a good thing as there ar more cleaner kills,quicker and i do not find as near as many un found bleed out deer in the woods.just a opion i cant hunt any more :confused:

18. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    31 days but only 10 are exclusive. Like you said who wants to be in the woods with a bow while everyone else has a smoker or rifle.

19. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    One month to hunt with a crossbow, I bet the rifle and muzzle loader guys would kill to hunt that long with there weapon of choice. 30+ days and they want more, wow!! Crossbows are so far above compound bows when it comes to Speed(I'll show you 3 Xbows in Cabela's that shoot 340fps or better, show me one compound that does that), accuracy(4" groups at 100 yards with the KE to make it lethal), and you don't have to pull the thing back. The crossbow companies are shooting there own self in the foot by making a product that is so superior to a compound bow that they can't fairly be put into an archery only season. Compared to a crossbow's preformance numbers, compounds are primitive!!!!! By the way, I don't want to hike into my tree stand knowing some old boy has his crossbow cocked and the finger on the trigger...........I'm not wearing blaze orange like rifle hunters. Did I say 340fps, holy crap that's one pin out to fourty yards....so much for range estimation. Same as a compound..........my butt!!

Just in case anyone notices.........this is a catfishing site!! The bite tonoght was terible, don't think I even had a gar run. Did get to watch some soon to be food come out on the sandbars....boats , deer , peace and quite!!

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Crossbow hunters use their weapon right along side the rifle and muzzleloader guy's...........why wouldn't they want to do that??? I'll tell ya why, because they are not on the same playing field with the other weapons used during that season. Well guess what, bows aren't on the same play field as crossbows. Until I started doing some studying on crossbows I never realized how much of an advantage they had over compounds. Not having to draw on game, being about to steady your aim with shooting sticks or a rest, and the speed and KE produced at great distances........all far above what you can do with a compound.

Also, one of the things that has been said on here and other forums by pro-crossbow folks is that they will help get hunters numbers up.........in Ohio over 50% of the hunters during the archery season use crossbows but that states tag sales are still falling...........the state isn't making any more money, but you can bet the xbow dealers and manufacturers are. There not the "saving grace" many would lead you to believe.