Should nascar have thrown the yellow flag?

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by wolfman, Feb 19, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    if so, Mark Martin would have won the Daytona 500.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Like a yellow flag would have stopped the wrecking?
    Had NASCAR thrown the yellow I would hope the fans there would level the place.
    I was actually pulling for Mark Martin but Kevin Harvick made a race out of it.
    Instead of Mark questioning whether a race would have been should have been given to him he should have gone door to door Harvick but we all know Mark doesnt have it in him, even for the Daytona 500. What a shame.

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    At least Mark doesn' t have to cheat, bump people out of the way, and cause tons of accidents. He has won 23races I believe and deserved all of them. Mark will always be one of the best.
    I just wish the Roush boys could have stayed out of the mess. Oh well, theres always next week.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I think it was the right call.The wreck was behind them and was in no way effecting the outcome.If they had thrown a yellow,that would have been just stupid! I'm glad Nascar made the right call on this one.Mark can always try again next year,its been his last year for 6 or 7 years...:roll_eyes:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Rubbing is racing. All of the greats have used friction for gain.
    This isnt the IRL we're talking about here. Its a storied history of cars with doors, bumpers, and fenders.
    Am I saying go out there and knock everybody out of the way? No.
    I'm saying , nobody is going to give you anything like a Daytona 500 or a championship. You have got to take it. Mark Martin on the last lap of the Daytona 500 let Kevin Harvick take it. To me that isn't being an awesome race car driver, to me that is the reason he hasnt won a Daytona 500 or a championship. Most anyone else out there would have gone door to door to try to scrub speed off one another or break the others momentum.

Even father and son have traded paint going for a win most recently with Dale Earnhardt and Jr. at Michigan in an IROC race. In an attempt to break one anothers momentum going for the checker they used the doors.

Jeff Burton did it at Darlington in turn one of the last lap for a million.

Davey and Bobby Allison have done the same.
    Just about every race at Bristol winds up with a nudge on the last lap for a win.
    Mayfield nudged Dale Earnhardt on the last turn at Pocono for a win.
    This is racing!!
    Some of the best film clips are of drivers like Allison, Cale Yarborough, Richard Petty, and David Pearson squaring off door to door for multiple laps even to the point of taking the cars on two wheels.
    That folks, is racing worth paying to see. Thats the kind of racing that put stock car racing on the map.

If I wanted to see clean touchless racing I'd watch the vintage car races.
    It's a car show with plenty of cigars and rich boys with their garage kept hand waxed toys.

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    As my dad always tells me, "If you're relying on good officiating to win a game/race then you've already lost". I was pulling for Martin yesterday. Bottom line is that Mark was soundly beaten. He raced Harvick to the end. He never let off the throttle expecting the caution to come out. The fact that it *didn't* come out simply meant that it was the Daytona 500 and not the Daytona 499.7.

I do question NASCAR's decision to not throw the yellow. Granted, the wrecks didn't effect the two racing for the win. However, there *were* about 25 cars that were racing for positions *behind* the half dozen or so that wrecked. The whole reason for the frozen field at the time of caution was so that folks weren't racing past cars that are, in essence, sitting ducks on the racetrack. Just my .02

Jon

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think Nascar definitely made the right call by not throwing the Yellow Flag! I mean it was the last lap they were coming to the Checkered Flag,and I can't see where a Yellow Flag at that point would have done any good. The sad part of all of the restrictor plate races is the number of cars that get destroyed. I think if Kyle Busch hadn't have gotten so greedy Mark Martin would have won that race,and Kyle Busch would have finished 2nd.I mean if Busch would have just held is line and stayed behind Martin I think he would have pushed Mark right into Victory Lane. I realize there are alot of people that go to the races just waiting to see a wreck,but when I go to a race I like to see a good hard race that is not decided by a bunch of cars getting wadded up. If I want to see a bunch of cars get wrecked I'll go to a demolition derby!! (Oh, that's why I don't go to demo derbies even though my oldest grandson participates in them.)

8. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My opinion is Nascar made the right call on no yellow being thrown until after the finish. the wreck was over 2 miles away! Harvicks car was the fastest on the track at the end of the race, and he avoided the problems. Although the youngest Bush tried to wreck him on the way by!

Pretty wild that Roush went out and got Fenway as a partner, I guess he's really serious about buying, oops:embarassed: I mean winning another championship!
    All in all I'm just glad the season has started again!

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Alot of tracks I could see it but Daytona at this instant (green, white, checker) was one big wad of cars. The wreck was there, either you were crushed like an empty buttwiper can or you were blindly trying to feel your way through the smoke (caution lights or flag to no avail). It wasnt cars strung out all around the track.
    The point of a caution flag was a moot one. The race was over, they all knew it.

10. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Mark made the right call on the last lap too. Mark did all he could.Had he tried to bump Harvick then Busch would have passed them both on the inside if they didn't hit the wall anyway.All he could really do in that situation was to race him.By the time they came out of the turn,and Mark could have rubbed him,Harvick was to far up beside him for Martin to do it without possably wercking himself.He raced a great race and just got beat by a car going a little faster at the line.Though I was disappointed , I'm a Martin fan,That was a Great race

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    He'll never know unless he tried. You race to win.
    Several years back with Shrader following Dale Earnhardt who was following Dale Jarrett Shrader refused to pull out and push Earnhardt past Jarrett. Shraders comment after the race..."I was content with 3rd, I could have wound up tenth".
    He could have taken second and possibly first too if he had taken it 3 wide or Dale and Dale got together.
    He could have blown a tire and came in 33rd.
    Blah Blah Blah, race or give the seat to someone else that is willing to race to win.
    When you are content to run second fiddle you are too old race.
    All washed up.

What was impressive yesterday was Kyle Bush. His car was loose. Real loose and fast. That kid was all over the place as a passenger more then a driver alot of the time. He held on to it until right at the end. He has the drive and the fire within.

I can sit down and run EA sports NASCAR on the computer with a good wheel and pedals and there is absolutely no way I can make 2 laps without finding the wall or another car in a car that is anywhere close to as loose as he was judging by his hand movement on the wheel.
    Thumbs up kid! He was making it happen going for the win.

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Actually I liked the days when they raced back to the start/finish line but didnt like the gentlemen's agreement when the leader would slow to let lap cars pass and back on the lead lap. Even now with the lucky dog rule, Im not too crazy about. Why wont nascar let them earn their way back on the lead lap?

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Marks spotter told him wreck! He lift because a caution was suppose to come out. Gee that is what you get for thinking the rules are written down some where.
    Bill

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Naaa, he didnt lift. Had he lifted he would have gotten beat by alot more then a nose.:big_smile:

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    NASCAR rules dictate that the yellow caution light go on immediately for an accident, and that once the yellow comes on, positions on the track are frozen.

All week all we heard about was NASCAR coming down hard on cheaters then on the last lap of the biggest race of the Year they choose to throw the rule book out the window. NASCAR loses a ton of credibility for this non move. Unfortunatly it was a lose lose propisition for NASCAR. Throw the Yellow like the rules state and the good ole boy network goes nuts screaming let them race. Not throw the yellow and then You have comprimised your own rules and are walking the thin line of becoming pro wrasling! I understand that the outcome of a race is not scriped like Wrestling, But if you pick and choose when to enforce the rules you affect the outcome, and lose cred.

rules are rules PERIOD. NASCAR dropped the ball Bigtime By this avoidance of its own rules. As good of a job as NASCAR does promoting its "sport" They really screwed this one up!

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The only people who wanted a caution are the ones that wanted an orchestrated victory for Mark Martin. Luckily NASCAR did what they should have and let them race to the finish. He got beat, he knows it.

Mark is the bridesmaid again. Hopefully he will "really retire" before he gets hurt.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats the truth.I was at LMS last October when Martin had that really bad looking crash.He was really lucky to walk out of that.
    IMO,Nascar did the right thing.If they had thrown the yellow,I'd probably turned the tv off...It just wouldn't have made any sense!
    If there was a full lap or more,then throw the yellow.If 2 cars were battling out for the win,why ruin a good thing? The yellow would have just ended a good race a half lap early!

18. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    So i gather It's ok with you guys that NASCAR dictates when the rules are enforced and when they are not????? BTW I don't care much for roundy round car racing so it doesn't matter to Me who won the race. IMO rules are rules and should be enforced, if not you cheapen the credibility of The "sport". NASCAR in effect dictated the outcome of the race by comprimising its own rules, and you guys applaud that????

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Their getting too caught up in all the 'rules' A long time ago,they used to drop the green flag,race like hell and the first one to take the checkered flag won.Wasn't no Lucky Dog,no racing back to the flag and all this crap that doesn't make sense.I do agree,they ought to be consistent about throwing the yellow(no matter who it benefits/hurts). I think not throwing the yellow was the right call and thats the way it should be anytime in that case.The most consistent thing about Nascar is they are inconsistent!!!

20. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I totaly understand the "let 'em race' opinion, and can respect that from a spectators point of view, it did make for a better ending to the race. but there is something to be said about the credibility of NASCAR, and basicaly it has none in My book. Rules in sports are generaly there to provide a level playing field, everyone knows what they can and can't do and what to expect. If rules aren't enforced to the letter then why even have them at all?