Should I upgrade my big game casting?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CJ21, Dec 17, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have thinking about upgradeing my berkley big game MH casting rod, that I have my Abu 6000 on I am wondering is it a good idea, I just bought a 6 foot one peice med Daiwa Sweepfire Casting Rod for my Abu 5000 it makes a nice bass rod. So I looking at a Daiwa MH 6 foot one peice rod for catfishing. What do u catfisherman think? I think one peice rods are stronger.

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    sounds like it would work just fine. but really its whatever your style is and what you fish the most. where im at the river has alot of holes about 40 yards out and farther on that i like to get to. so i use a 10 foot rod to get out there to them. if im fishing a pond or small enough lake for cats. i use my 6 foot shakespear tigerspincasting rod from when i was to young to use a spinning reel that good:tounge_out:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    What size of fish are available for you to catch? You have to be prepared to catch the biggest thing that's there. If the rod you are using is performing well then I don't see a need to change. If you are looking to increase the distance of you casts, longer rods do help, but rods are not the only factor that affects distance of your cast. Your line will have a noticeable effect as will the amount of weight you use.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I wont to be able to catch big fish. So I guess the rod I have would work its a 7 footer.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I prefer at least a 6.5 ft rod even for bass fishing, or longer for catfishing. All my primary cafish rods are 7 footers. I'm considering getting a couple of 10 footers for a big spool spinning reel and for one of my Penn 209's.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have caught lots of cats on my 7' big game rod I also have caught a bream on it lol.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    CJ

Been tooo long a time bro. We need to get a cat to break it first :big_smile: .

Then upgrade.