should I go to work tonight

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 27, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    with all the snow we have already got, they are predecting alot more tonight along with freezing rain.

I drive a 2 wheel drive truck and have a 45 mile drive to work from chillicothe to mt sterling.

I dont mind snow, but I hate ice, looks like the worts will be tonight when I am working last shift, the drive home is gonna be a bear.

I normally dont miss work, but hate long drives on country rds covered with ice.

If I call in I will llose 125 bucks for my monthly perfect attednace bonus.

Would you risk it?

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I own a bread route in the NKY area, and we are worse than the Post Office when it comes to working. The bread HAS to go out. I left for work at 1:30am this morning, and got there at 2:50am. 30 mile trip. Loaded up and then another hour trip to get to my route 20 miles away. I drive a straight box truck (like a U-Haul) and they do great in the snow. It was still some crappy driving though.

I'm off on Wednesday, and I'm glad. We don't have sick days, personal days, etc, since we're self-employed. I've NEVER called in because of the weather, at any job, but if I had some, you can be darn sure that I'd of used them today and definitely tomorrow. And I don't have any country roads to deal with. If you don't have a 4x4 (not the best on ice, regardless) or a front wheel drive (the best thing on ice), you need to stay home and play on the BOC or with your tackle. $125 isn't worth the risk. I'm renting a truck right now since mine is in the shop for repairs, and I'm paying for a couple of extra days just to avoid having to drive in the weather to just get the truck back to Penske.

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    hey jack go get a bottle, sit back and relax:wink:

4. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If we're at a level 3 you'll get a ticket if you're caught on the road.If its a level 2 its drive only if necesarry.Its your call but driving on slick backroads is scary.I'd play it safe and stay home:wink:

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't like missing work when i have it. Being laid off right now is a good thing when the weather turns like this. You need to ask yourself is it worth it if i have an accident and tear up my truck or worse get seriously injured myself.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    2 wheel drive truck tonight? Man if it were me I might have to call in on that one. It is gonna be real nasty. Man I might not have even went fishing today and thats sayin somthing!:smile2::eek:oooh:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Not me brother, just throw something heavy in the back and go for it. I have been out a couple of times today and they are keeping up the roads pretty good.

8. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    chill is south of me here in xenia and as of right now 2:48 pm the snow is starting to fall really good again, 2wd truck that would make for a fun trip, how are the road crews cause up here they have already made news and press releases there not touching the roads till after the storm cause the salt shortage, and most of the counties in the miami valley here are level 1 or higher already cause of all the side roads are pretty much nasty and with it coming down really good again it wont be long before it gets even worse here atleast.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    well,i am getting ready to head out in my grand am,i only got about a ten mile drive to work,though.

i would say if you had a couple of hundred pounds in the back it wouldn't be bad.of course the road crews are scraping the snow off the roads so all the ice will be on the blacktop to make it even more slick.

might be best to take the hit this month and not risk the more expensive wreck.

10. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well i live in the north dayton area and were under a level one write now so probably by tomarrow i wont have no work!

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Throw some snow in the back of the truck for added weight and get yourself to work. Take that $125 and get yourself a new rod. Unless you go fishing when your off, it's all just wasted time.

12. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Jack, you got to think about if you have trouble will you have a good chance of getting help?
    If you get in ditch do you have a good chance of being spotted?
    Cell phone may not work.
    If you try, be sure to have full tank of gas and a shovel take extra blankets and snacks you might be there for awhile.
    let some one know you route to work and call when you get there and call when you head home may sound over cautious but people get worried then go out and they can get in trouble just my two cents worth.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well I don't live in Ohio and am only familiar with the bad weather there through reading on the BOC for almost three years. Please excuse my intrusion into this thread, but I cannot keep quiet any longer.

Jack, only YOU can be the judge of whether to go to work or not. YOU are the one who knows YOUR truck, YOUR driving skills, etc. If I DID live in Ohio I wouldn't advise you one way or the other.

However, putting myself in your wife and family's place......your life is worth much more than $125. I certainly wouldn't trade my bf's life for a new fishing rod. And I sure wouldn't want to be someone on this thread who's advised you to go, if something WERE to happen.

When it comes time to go to work, just make the decision based on your gut feelin' bro.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Whatever you decide to do just make sure you leave a little extra early to give you sufficient time to get to work. Have some extra coffee so you can stay alert. Lastly, take your time! No need to rush and speed.

15. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    hey jack it has really got bad in the last hour, be careful bro

16. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    All I can say is becareful bro. Its your call but you said times have been tough and a days pay and the bonus could really be helpful.!

17. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i have never not gone because of the weather, thats just me, but if you leave early and take it easy shouldnt be a problem, fill up the tank so if ya do get stuck you will have heat :wink:

18. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i just got home i loaded in nw columbus and it took me almost 3 hours to get to logan but alot of it was backed-up traffic 45mph was about as fast as i wanted to drive didnt want no screw ups with 8600 gal of gas behind me and jack im sure you run up 207 prabaly not much traffic just take it easy and youll make it alrifgt

19. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack I just got off the raod and they are SLICKERY!!!!!!! Stay home!!!!!!

20. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i just got home,1 hr to drive 10 miles from the truck stop,my god it is pretty bad.part of it was the car in front of me going ten mph.but,i hope ya didn't go to work,cause you would be having fun right about now.
    retarded fayette county ran out of salt.