The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the deal... I am looking to supplement my income, and my job site is literally right across from Pickwick dam. I was considering my unique circumstances and ready access to the water might make such a venture a profitable foray if there is a market for these things. I'd like to sell individually vacuum packed ultra fresh frozen skippies, as in bring a portable vacuum sealer with me in a cart down to the water and bag em up while they are still flopping and throw them on ice till I can get to a deep freezer. Sales could be local, or shipped overnight on dry ice ala Omaha Steaks.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
572 Posts
there is a guy below wheeler dam that sells fresh skip in the spring and frozen year round, I buy off him when im down there. There are people waiting in line to buy in march and april. He told me he makes as much as $300 a day during that time. Gets $4 ea.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
As stated check the regs. carefully. I was told by a Skip fisherman below Ky. Dam that skips caught on rod and line can not be sold as bait, however if they are netted it's fine. The discussion started when I asked him if he sold them or used them himself, he said with a wink and grin it's against the law to sell them if caught on rod. Sounded far fetched to me but I didn't take the time to look it up as I use all I catch myself.

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,814 Posts
You either have to have a commercial fishing license or a bait license or both would be my guess..... Check those regs real close I would call your game and fish commission...... As far as I know commercial fisherman aren't supposed to use rod and reels in the water where they run their nets....

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
692 Posts
Some would argue,
The selling of skipjack has already put a serious dent in the skipjack populations. Some places in the upper Tenn. river dont really have a spring run anymore.

Reactions: Big Sam and Steve H

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,814 Posts
They're doing the study right now in Alabama on the Tennessee River.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
You might go hungry selling them. I fish year round can get them in decent numbers in spring but they don’t just nite all the time. It’s all about the current time and location. The skipjack are still here but just not in great numbers. God luck with your adventure

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
692 Posts
Jay,
It seems the human race is destined to make the same mistakes over and over again. I dont think well be satisfied until weve destroyed ourselves.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yeah seems the skip jack numbers have fallen off in recent years, I know lots of the dams on the ohio don't get much of a run now it seems. There are times when they're in, but it seems the days aren't abundant when you can catch them well on the ohio below mcalpine and cannelton. Then again I don't pursure skippie often as I only fish the ohio occasionally since it's a bit of a drive, and I have the white river only 20 mins from house. Granted the white doesn't have the monster blues, but it gives up some nice flat heads here and there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As a guy who fishes picwick and takes a self imposed limit of 50 because that’s all I really need...I have watched boats with a half dozen guys in it loading up on all the skips they can catch it makes me cringe to read a post about someone selling them. If it’s legal then....do what you must...but as a cat fisherman I’d say the skips are stressed enough. Asian carp are plentiful and we could definitely help to knock them down by selling them as bait.

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,814 Posts
Everyone complains about having a limit.....they put regulations on people fishing in the ocean commercially and directly tell you what season you can and cant..... I don't know the rules in Alabama I have friends that live there though and they watch boat after boat of commercial fishermen loading up all that they can get on a daily basis fishing with a rod and reel... In Arkansas commercial fisherman cannot use a rod and reel to obtain bait with to sell or to catch fish to sell.....

·
Administrator
10,487 Posts
Teach a man to fish and he will be able to feed his family.

Let him become a commercial fisherman and he will catch and keep everything he can drag out of the water because all he thinks about is the money. So the species disappears. Then he goes after something else and does the same thing.

Buffalo
Bluefin tuna
and now skipjack

How many skipjack are just plain wasted because of improper care or just spoil in a freezer somewhere because of overstocking.

Make reasonable regulations (limits)
Enforce those regulations vigorously.
Monitor the species continually
Have extra stiff penalties for violators. (you follow the rules your fine. You violate the rules you are put of business and your profits are confiscated.
Error on the side of the species, not the greedy.

We always tend to play games until it is way too late.

·
Premium Member
Eric from Traders Point, Indiana USA
2,080 Posts
I have spent $250 this year on skipjack from dealers. Normally two of us would have caught enough to last all season, but last winter was so warm the Cumberland river never got cold enough to make the skips run to the power plant in any numbers. Then covid hit and TVA closed down the tailwaters behind KY Dam.
I would have rather spent that $250 going on a couple of fun bait trips and catching plenty for the both of us. My freezer can only hold 200-250 nice skips. Plenty enough for the season, but not close to the legal limits.
The bait trade has become a big business, especially with the sport of catfishing becoming more and more popular. Someone really needs to figure out a reasonable way to catch and package Asian carp for sale as bait, or skips are just going to keep getting all the pressure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts