Should I be upset

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by motodragon2003, Jul 23, 2008.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My cousin was talking to me last night about a guy that was fishing at cataract.....apparantly the guy had a record night. 5 huge channel cats....40#+ each........

I didn't even know they got that big....but he said he saw the picture of them in the back of his truck....now.........I'm not peeved at that....thats awesome.....

But he took all of them home .........What the heck!!!!! why would you eat anything that large/big/old whatever...let alone 5 of them.....

2. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    i have always heard that anything over 10 # wasnt very good tasting so i always throw back anything over 10#. i throw back mostly all my fish hoping that one day my sons may be able to catch the monsters dad did back in the day.

3. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Man, 5 40+ pound channels is impressive, just one of those would shatter the Ok. state record.

4. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    The state record for channel cat is 37lb 8oz.
    So that would mean that he had 5 record size
    fish. Sounds like a "fish story" but who knows?

As far as him keeping them the rules allow him to keep 10 a day. So he has every right to take
    them home. Hopefully he's going to eat them and
    not waste them.

No room for being mad at him. Jealous,yes. Mad
    nooo.

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    5 over 40? I dunno 'bout that....someone must have made some poor estimations and no scale. As far as keeping them, you and I may not agree with it, but he had every right to keep them.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    shoot I'da asked 'em what kinda bait he was usin'....

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I don't know they guy so I can't say whether or not what he's saying is a fish story (not handing out judgment here), but 5 state record fish in one night? Sounds fishy. Recently I've just heard all sorts of fish stories, people really over exaggerate the size and sometimes the species of their fish. Friend of the family recently went on a fishing trip and claimed they caught 3 20lb+ flatheads all on chicken livers, and when he brought over pictures there was pics of 2 channels about 8lbs and one that was about 12lbs. We had to break out the field guide and show the difference between channels and flatheads...the difference in tails, coloration and the lower jaw protruding the upper on flatheads.

Anyways, more power to the guy if he wanted to keep his catch...he wasn't breaking the law or anything. But personally, I've never kept a cat bigger than about 7-8lbs and even those didn't taste as good as the 2-3lbers.

8. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    This is a verry interesting and reasonable view. Several members here insist on CPRing
    cats over 10#. the only problem I have with
    this is that there dose'nt seem to be any
    professional studies that support the need
    to do this. It's all a matter of indivisual
    opinion. However, I do respect the guys who
    practice CPR. I believe they're truely trying
    to do something commendable on their part. I
    just hope they would respect my right to keep
    a cat over 10# if I choose to.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah reminds me of the 88lb Indiana state record flathead that was eaten instead if recorded..... But I just think some Indiana folks simply missed that ninth commandment...... BIG time:wink:

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    5 over 40 ? hummm . Great night if true . Don't know about the reproduction thing either . Or the body of water either . Hopefully he will chunk them up . and eat them . Should be enough to hold him for a while . I would have released some but have hungry mouths to feed based on body of water . If they were in the bed of his truck he had made HIS DECISION .

11. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    5 channels over 40lbs in one night sounds like a fish story to me. heck even if it was 2 over 40 in one night would still sound like a fish story.
    i guess we might be hearing about some new state records here soon.hahaha

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    CPR is a good thing.............................but so is eating fish.

ITS MY OPINION that everyone can do whatever they want with the fish they catch. I practice CPR. I eat plenty of catfish. There is a happy medium. I don't know where this idea that non-CPR fisherman are some lower class of people or that they are from the "wrong side of the tracks"! If you want to eat it, then by all means enjoy!

As for 5 40 plus pound channels, not likely. Sound like Blue cats to me.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    To answer your question "Should I be upset?"

NO, you should make/form your own opinions and values and allow others to do the same.

Heck I would say congrats to him

14. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Larry I'll allow you to eat as many catfish as you want as often as you want- only you though :smile2:

I choose to practice CPR, but it's my choice- not someone else's. As long as it's legal I won't comment much on someone else's choice to eat their catch. Now I may grumble a bit but don't we all, if I grumble too much for ya, y'all have permission to tell me where to stick it!

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't think there are blue cats in cataract.... at least not common anyway... especially 5 x 40#'s
    who knows.... they may have been flatheads.... unless he was a fisherman he may not have known better... to some, a catfish is a catfish.... the most common type,,,, a Channel

16. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Ben I've read your posts several times in the
    past. You've proven yourself to be an intelligent and reasonable guy. No need for you to stick your comments anywhere. Do us all a
    favor and keep on posting like you do. :)

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Regardless of CPR efforts, conservation ethics or whatever,,,i don't like big fish to eat. They are tough, fat and have a big mudline in them. I'll stick to eatin fiddlers myself.

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is where things get hairy!!! No one knows for sure but, I can promise you this much!!! If you kill them, that is a sure fire way to make sure they don't spawn again!!!

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    exactly what bass fisherman want:wink:

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Aint never seen any 40+ # channels in Indiana , dont think there is any ! Just my honest opinon LOL