Should have known!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BIG GEORGE, Jul 24, 2006.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Last week CopyCat (Tom) and myself went out on the river for channels. Survived the day,had a great time and caught fish! LOL! One cat in particular gave me the perfect sign and I didn't read it. After taken the hook out and returnin it to the water I looked at my shirt and pants. I was covered with eggs! Rite then and there I should have known that the second spawn of the season for channels was upon us here in Jersey. Instead I went out again today and caught 8 fish total with the biggest bein around 2 pounds. The rest were all too small to weigh. LOL! I guess what I'm sayin here is read the signs they are there. LOL!

COME ON OCTOBER! LOL!

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Yea I remember you saying something about the second season spawn when that cat dumped it's eggs. But heck, you had to go out and try today, your a diehard like a lot of us. I fished all my life for Bass, stripers and saltwater fish but never much for catfish until last fall, I am learning something new every time I get out and go catfishing and everytime I log on here! The BOC is awsome and sure glad I found it!

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Any thoughts on this? LOL!

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I didnt know that they spawned twice during the summer.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi George Good Question. Two Spawns? I was told sometime a while back that Catfish Especialy Channel Cats don't spawn all at the same time some are earlier and some are perty late in the season.I was drifting Desoto bend an Oxbow lake just off the Missouri river the middle of August last year and boated a large channel right at #10 pounds and she like yours was just dripping eggs from her belly. I was gentle with her and she was released. But now you have got me wondering was she just late or was it her second spawn? I'll bet there is someone who is a whole lot smarter than I can answer that question here on the B.O.C. If my memory serves me right you are a train Engineer right(good Job) Also a very Tough one A whole lot of responsiblity! I was just wondering Do they let you take a rod along in the engin and if you come across a good looking river let you stop and wet a line for a little while? No on second thought the bosses probably woulden't understand. Besides they probably all play Golf. Thought about taking the sport up once if I understand it a person don't have to bring nothing back to prove what you shot Right an you get to keep your own score. I think I could be real good at that one Cause we all know us fishermen like to embelish the facts once and a while. L.O.L. Have a good day George. J.D.Straka :big_smile:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    To the best of my knowledgw John they do spawn twice a year. The little tramps! The only water I cross is the Delaware river and I would need at least 200 yards of line to even hit the water. LOL!

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Now, that is funny right there Big George. Good luck brother, just think of it as Channel Caviar. hehehe

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Ostrom;
    George, I was THRILLED that you and copycat;Brother Tom, had a GREAT time fishing!!:big_smile:
    I hope your put those eggs back in the water real quick or at least broke out some crackers!!:roll_eyes: :lol:
    Thank You for sharing the "Second Spawn" information with us. Personally, I did not know for sure if this actually happens or if it was some "writer" trying to make a deadline in a fishing magazine!! I put much more into what I learn from the Brothers and Sisters of the BOC that I do some "writer" that I know nothing about!
    "Thanks" again, for the info.
    Cordially and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks, Big George thats good info, had no idea that channels spauned twice.

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    George,
    It's probably the young'ns that spawn twice. You remember what it was like when you were young. If it is the older ones, I'm sure that like us older guys, they need a couple of minutes between rounds!...W