should have checked my drag!!!!!

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by crazyKat, Sep 4, 2008.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    went out yesterday to check my boat out. make sure it was runnin good. decided to fish for a couple hrs. pulled up to a spot here in owensboro. decided to try it. couldnt find much bait but i had a few small shad. dropped 2 lines off the back and was baiting the 3rd. i use cabela plastic quick draw holders. well i noticed i got a small bump on my pole so i layed the one i was baiting down. i was at the front of the boat and of course my lines was at the back. so i was making my way to the back when SLAMMMMMM POP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pole holder snapped and i watched my rod and reel shoot like a rocket to the bottom of the 35 feet i was fishing. learned my lesson on that. so i loosend all the drags a bit and fished another 30 to 45 minutes. no more bites. no more bait. man what a bad day. lol but it was my fault. i just hope the fish works his way loose so i get a chance to catch him this weekend plus i dont want to harm him in any way.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    get rid of them damn plastic rod holders.. steve douglas had the same thing happen down at hawsville last winter at one ow jws tourneys... mine have no plastic parts at all for that reason!!

3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea i did! now ive came up with my own line of adjustable rodholders! it wont happen again!:sad2::big_smile:

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Mine are made out of 1/2 s.s round bar no rust and hard to break.:big_smile:

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hate those kind of LESSONS LEARNED hope it wasn't to expensive !

6. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yea i was at the tourny with steve in hawesville. it was expensive lesson cause the rod and reel was about 125 bucks. im gonna get rid of them soon as i get the money for some new ones. im gonna hit that spot again sunday and see what happens. we finally got a little rain. dnt know if it will help but im gonna find out.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jody did you try dragging for the rod and reel? I know you said it was 35' of water, but with line out you might just get lucky. You might want to look at the driftmaster 1/2" rod holders.

8. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i didnt try. i was fishing alot of structure on the bottom. i would have just got snagged. it was a very nasty bottom with alot of tree's and stuff. dnt think it would have helped.i had my line off the end of the boat just above the structure. so the fish would come up to get it. dnt think it would have been able to drag the bottom.

9. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I bought some of those plastic rod holders off ebay.I mounted one on my boat and I was worried about the strength of it so I put one of my cat rods in it and let some line out like I was fishin, well I grabbed the line and slowly gave it a couple of good tugs like what a good fish would do and all of a sudden there was a pop and the dang rod holder broke:eek:oooh:..Needless to say I didnt put the rest on.Im gonna get some steel ones instead.

10. clatorlakecat

clatorlakecat New Member

State:
    va
    i use bait casters abu garcia's i set my drag about 2 pound pull then i turn my bait clicker on so ill hear the reel when i get a hit! wow that must have been a monster !

11. Kat Slayer

Kat Slayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Me and my dad use those plastic rod holders... we really haven't had a problem with them. Maybe we just came across a good brand. Anyway, sorry about your loss!