Should have asked by now.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Larry Beever, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I've been fishing in a rather shallow resivoir
    here in Indiana for some time. I'm a poor fellow with no boat and therefore I fish from
    the bank. Average depth 3-8 ft. I've tried fishing with live gills off and on. I understand that it takes patience to catch a
    big flathead but, Am I just spinning my wheels in such shallow water? By the way, Large flats
    have come out of this resivoir. I'm guessing
    that they came near the dam that runs 20 +
    feet deep. But If I was patient is it likely
    that I could catch a fatty in such shallow water? Thanks in advance!

2. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    maybe at night, or if you just fish the deeper holes. if you have more than 1 pole try live bait on 1 of the poles and a cut bait or something else on the other pole. maybe fish the 8 foot deep holes with a 6 foot deep float and see what happens. look for any cover. ha thats bout all i know. good luck!

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    A few questions for you. Is there deeper water with structure close? Is there baitfish in the area you are fishing? What time of day are you fishing?

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I feel that you need to locate the bait fish to find feeding Flatheads. water dept is not that important to me, I catch most of my Flatheads in water 5 ft or less even though the lakes are 40 to 60 ft deep.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Most of the time fish feed shallow at night every now an then one will be caught in the day time and remember fish are ambushers so you need to be around cover and they like to be able to go from back in forth from deep to shallow.

Hope this helps and good luck. Also it takes time

6. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I have three poles to fish with. I use the Carolina rig with pleny of leader for the fish to swim about freely. With cut bait and this method I've not caught a flatty yet. But I didn't expect to because I know that flattys
    tend to be live fish preditors.

7. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    yes true, so you should try rigging up 2 poles on the bottom and 1 on a float, or 2 on a flot and 1 on the bottom. then search for some cover and throw out a float that sits just off the bottom, and if you do a second float, experiment with shorter depths in large holes. then once you know how to fish the flatheads in your area, your all set! good luck, get a big 1

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Larry,
    Alot of flatties get caught out here in the warmer months in water as shallow as 3ft. Flatties might come up on the sand bars at night and wait for something of interest.

Also, if you are fishing on or close to structure, shorten your leader. The closer the bait is to the structure the better your chances. Sometimes a fish wont take a bait until it's almost sitting on their nose!

9. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I think of structure as being logs and tree branches that are generally found near shore
    lines. Am I correct? There are definately
    bait fish in the area because I catch them when I get there. And I always fish during the day
    because I'm in a park that's illegal to be in after dark. And if I'm correct about the structural areas they are generally not deeper areas because they're near the shore.
    Is there a practical way to deal with this setting?

10. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    A drop off in bottom from shallow to deep can also be considered structure. One of the spots that I fish has sharp drop off into a deep hole that seems to lead out into a channel where there is always a little current. We have caught both channels and flatheads out of there.

11. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    well if its just 3-4 feet deep u can hook into a flathead. i have experience with that, i had a branch on the shore and i casted just 3 feet out from it in 4 foot deep water(bottom fishing with no leader, live bluegill) and i had about a 15 pound flathead, but the hooked popped out of its mouth right when i got it up, and it swam off

12. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I feel sure that the bait fish are in the area.
    If you're catching them in waters that are 5 feet or less... You've given me confidence that I"m in the right areas.

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Since you can't fish after dark. Definitely get in on that early morning bite. I've caught a few in the morning. When I go early I like to catch my bait between 4 and 5am and be in my spot when the sun starts peeking over the horizon. The Flathead I've caught have all come in shallow water close to the bank and around structure. Rocks are very good structure.

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I'd get there and be fishing as early as your allowed to. Locate structure, wether it's logs, stumps, rocks, or brushpiles. Fish close to this structure using live bait. I'd try one bait on a rig close the bottom like a carolina rig or a 3 way, and another on a slipfloat about 3-4foot deep. I fish for big Flatheads from the bank all the time and the key is to learn the area. Make some casts with just a sinker on your line, you can feel the bottom as you reel in. You can learn where the deeper water is by counting how long it takes for the sinker to hit bottom, you can find the structure and learn if the bottom is muddy or hard. Also be patient Flatheading from shore isn't a fast paced sport.

15. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I had no boubt that you were going to respond
    to this post my FRIEND!!! And I belive that your advice is true because last year I threw a gill into the area that I usually fish and I
    hooked into something that when I pulled bound my line up into the reel and left me witout a
    drag to fight with. I had no more threw the bait into the water and then almost suddenly
    it was hit. I couldn't budge it and it stretched my new 20# line that was holding beautifully until it finally snapped loudly at the real. I could have cried! It was no doubt the biggest fish I have ever hooked!

16. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Close to the bank around structure at sunrize!
    You've built my comfidence even more! Thanks to you along with everybody else here!

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Now that is almost mid september and the water temperature is dropping, kind to tend to fish deeper waters. Flathead seasonal migration patterns tell me the fish in my river move into deeper water.

18. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Have you ever been back to that exact spot? Might have been a den for a big one?

19. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Oh yea, Several times. And I've caught several
    30-35# turtles and I always pull hard and steady when I feel the weight after a bite so I
    can get it off of the bottom wich is important
    if you've hooked a large snapper. But I couldn't budge this fish. I thougt I was snagged but I was'nt. I'm sure it was the fish of my dreams! I'm much more carful now.

20. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Blackie you might be right. I pulled an all nighter last night at a spot that has produced Flatties on several occasions in the past but last night did'nt get a nibble.
    The River here has been on a quick rise the past week and temperatures are bouncing around from in the 60's to the 90's. Also lots of leafy debris in the water which catches and collects on my lines.
    I guess you could say a (by default) hobby of mine is trying to figure out why the fish are'nt biting. :smile2: