Should GA DNR regulate catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by bumper, Sep 3, 2007.

1. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I was wondering if any of you guys think GA catfishing could benefit from catfish regulations. Most of you know we have no restrictions on numbers or maximum size and few restrictions on how to catch them. Do you think catfishing could benefit from a daily limit like other species have, or maybe a one over 34 in. per day like TN has. Let me know what you think and you might want to let your regional DNR biologists know also.

2. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    For years I have said that the catfish need to be regulated better in Ga...size and creel limits. It always falls on deaf ears because cats are not a "glamour" species. It makes me wonder, how the powers to be that set the regs can think that cats are not suspectible to overfishing the same as bass or crappie. I'd love to see a slot limit on em. I never keep one over twelve to fourteen pounds and under four or five pounds unless it has been injured beyond CPR. I have seen the catfishing go downhill on the Coosa river. One Sunday morning, five years ago, we were putting in as threee guys were coming out. They had been fishing since Friday night and were leaving that Sunday morning.....they had between ten and fifteen flatheads and blues that weighed from 25 to 50 lbs. They had killed everyone of those fish. In a river as small as the Coosa you can only kill so many like that before it starts to affect the population.

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I totally agree with you about the Coosa. I used to fish there a lot and the catfishing there just isn't as good as it used to be. The Coosa gets way too much fishing pressure from trotliners, limbliners, and juggers. The Coosa is one place that would greatly benefit from catfish regs. Now, I usually drive a little farther to TN for some good rod-n-reel fishin'.

4. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I also drive to Tennesse to fish now Bumper....if you go down the Coosa nearly every dang limb that hangs out over the water has a line attached to it.

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Hell yeah they need regulations. On lake oconee some company comes out a puts a half a mile of trotline out and something like 200 jugs out. I can't remeber how many pounds they pull out in one night but its rediculous. Pisses me off to see that. Its a wonder theres any cats left.:angry:

6. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I am in completer agreement with Y'all on this subject

7. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    ga dnr wants to get rid of the flat heads in a lota areas of the state :angry: and do you really think there going to regulate a tras fish in there eyes i dont think so all they want is our money

8. dallas

dallas New Member

State:
    Jackson,Georgia
    What we dont need is another law by a government with too many laws to deal with now. For the most part good fishermen can self regulate, of course there will be bad apples, but its that way with everything. I for one am against over govt. regulation.
    sorry
    Dallas

9. DrewDennis

DrewDennis New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Heck yes they should. My dad used to cut lines like the one mentioned above. State limit is no more than 50 or 100 hooks... cant remember which.

I think If I ran across it I just might cut it too. :angry:

10. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Yes catfish and catfishing should be regulated by the Ga. DNR. Because it is not regulated is one of the reasons catfish is considered a trash fish. If it was regulated more fisherman would think better of it as a game fish. If you look at fishing reports from other states you will find catfish on them. In Ga. you can't find catfish on any of the fishing reports. Why, because it is considered a trash fish. And I disagree with that completely. Catfish is an important game fish and should be treated the same as bass or trout.

11. DrewDennis

DrewDennis New Member

State:
    Georgia

I agree with you!!

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Man that whole trash fish concept is some BS. I can not stand that mentality. Take carp for example, in Europe those hard fightin fish are highly sought after. Why? Cause they can fight damn hard! Gar might be a pain at times, but they are a pre-historic fish and In-fisherman called them one of the most acrobatic freshwater fish in the US. I hate that they are trying to remove the non-native flatheads from many bodies of water. Sorry they eat the highly esteemed bass... but they are undoubtedly one of the badest predators in freshwater. Don't get me wrong, I will fish for bass a few times a year, but damn, catfish are one of the most sought after fish in the US too. I'm glad SC finally realized that too many large blues were being harvested in Santee-Cooper. They restricted the number of blues 36" and over that can be kept, "in response to a concern that that too few large blues were being caught". No kidding, these things are not invinsible. GA needs to do the same. I have not even gotten any trophy fish since I have lived in GA. I am looking at moving closer to TVA waters myself. Keep the bread n' butter cats for food if you need some... release the rest.

13. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Indefinitely, Cats should be regulated. Just for the reason that it is a popular fish to fish for and the fact that everyone loves to go get catfish! They put up good fights, and they are large, there is NO type of better fresh water fishing in the world except sturgeon fishing (Which is by the way regulated in Georgia)!

14. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    just found this out........

Only Blue Catfish are protected under CATCH LIMIT regulations. They arent very good but its the slightest start we can get...

The reason why Georgia is trying to GET RID OF Flatheads is because they were brought in the state and spawned illegally in the 90's.

15. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Also, I wanted to clarify that I know there are jumbo cats in certain parts of the state (Altamaha, ect). I just have not had the luck to catch one here over thirty, and I am refering specifically to flatheads, not blues. Flatheads are only native to a select few waters in GA such as Etowah, Ostanaga (sp?) and Coosa. I just feel that if they are highly sought after, then they will also generate the $$ to go manage for them. I understand the importance of the food chain and the fact that for example, redbreasts and bullbeahd populations have suffered in Altamaha. Well, so did the channel cat populations in Santee. Look at the place now. Most guide $$ comes from flats, blues and strips.