Should Cup drivers be allowed to race in the Nationwide Series?

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by mazepa, Apr 7, 2009.

Should Cup drivers be allowed to run the Nationwide Series?

1. Yes

2. No

3. They should limit the number of races

4. Who cares

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mazepa

mazepa New Member

State:
    Florida
    I was just reading this article on the NASCAR web site.

"Five races into the season and there is one constant in the Nationwide Series -- Cup drivers have won every race. In fact, Cup drivers average seven of the top-10 spots so far this season with the most (nine) coming at Daytona.
    This week the series shifts to Nashville Superspeedway where there is no companion Sprint Cup Series race, but there will be a fair share of Cup stars looking to keep the heat on the Nationwide-only drivers."

The Pros and Cons arguments and the whole Story can be read here:
    http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/features/04/07/head.2.head.cup.nationwide/index.html

I have thought about this before. I have leaned towards no. But I have seen so many young drivers really learn by following the Cup cars/drivers around the track at the Nationwide races. But Nationwide is'nt just about young drivers and gettin' them ready for cup races, or is it???

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to limit the number of Nationwide races a cup driver could compete in per season. What do you think?

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think the drivers should pick one or the other and stick to it.
    When a cup driver runs in the nationwide, he's just taking money or a chance to qualify for some other driver who really needs it.
    Just my .02 though

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I personally don't think that the Cup drivers should be allowed to participate in the Nationwide Series. To me the Nationwide Series is for up and coming drivers to hone their skills. When the Cup drivers participate in the Nationwide Series it is like a major league baseball player going back down and playing in the minor leagues taking playing time away from an up and coming player. The Cup Series is considered the Major Leagues of Nascar racing and I just think that those drivers should stay in their own league!!JMO
    I would like to add one more thing to my comments about this matter and that is I think it would be alright for the fringe drivers in Cup to participate in the Nationwide Series but not the top drivers in Cup. There are some drivers trying to compete in Cup today that could use some more experience and that would be one way for them to gain some more experience.JMO

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I voted NO! For the reason that the experienced drivers in the Cup Series should stick to their season races and let the up and coming drivers race the Nationwide series of races. No since of letting already experienced drivers compete in a race with lower HP cars against under experienced drivers. Heck, that's more or less Sandbagging in my book!!

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I look at it more from a common sense approach.
    It's a sport and the nationwide SERIES is it's own entity (series) sanctioned by NASCAR as many other series are sanctioned by them also including some dirt track series.

If you can field a car, pay the entry fees, and hold a NASCAR license to drive you should be able to qualify and race under that series' rules.

As far as the cars go, they are two totally different animals. 2 different feels.

I've never viewed the Nationwide series as a lesser series then cup or considered it a minor league. Afterall there are drivers that want to race nothing but Nationwide their whole career for several reasons. One being time committment, funds, and the level of competitiveness may fit them better.
    It's no different then 3 or 4 cup drivers going to Eldora to run dirt on Saturday night. They don't always win.

No different then me fishing Pro Ams and then continuing to fish the smaller tournament series. Pro fishermen do this all the time.
    I've fished in bass tournaments against names like Shaw Grigsby, Danny Joe Humphrey, and David Fritz and they weren't pro tournaments. They didn't always win despite their backing. You still got to put fish in the boat. Fancy shirts and boats covered in graphics don't catch fish.
    Fishing like racing is still largely a game of chance. Anything that can happen, will happen whether it be a wreck, blown engine, or a missed pattern.
    You pay the entry fee for a chance just like everyone else.

I don't consider Nationwide drivers less talented then cup drivers.
    It's cheaper to run Nationwide and trucks. Naturally it's going to be a good fit for some drivers to get seat time. Winning doesn't make seat time more valuable. It's probally more beneficial to get seat time against cup drivers if that is where you intend on racing in the future.

And we haven't even touched on ticket sales which helps everybody's pocket including the lowly Nationwide series drivers.
    The cup drivers are a draw. Fans want to see them. The more they can see them on the track the more they are willing to fork out.
    End result. Higher payouts.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well here is my 1.5 cents LOL, and I disagree with Mark on this. Why would you want to exept to make more money and to compete against lesser competitiion (not all but for the most part).

Why would I as a Pro baseball want to go down a level to play or be Bubba Smith and play college again. Mark brings up fishing can you imagine if you saw KVD at all of the po dunk competitions with his 50K Boat and sponsors it would be a killing and as you can see they are doing that with the NW series

7. mazepa

mazepa New Member

State:
    Florida
    :smile2: LOL ....that's a great analogy

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    until they have 5 years experience in cup they should be allowed to drive any race. after 5 years if they have a cup win, there should be a 10 or 15 race limit. i do think that at least a few of the guys are driving full time nationwide and helping out the attendance.

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If I were a nationwide only driver I'd welcome the cup drivers to run. In the eyes of fans and sponsors I think it only solidifies your abilities and talent as a driver if you run well against the cup guys or beat them.

10. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    This is a topic that rubbs me the wrong way.
    THIS is AMERICA people.
    Since when do we start telling qualified, talented people how much income they can make by doing what they do best? You certainly don't want somebody telling YOU, you can only do this and accept whatever income it provides ?
    This Country is lousy with lazy, ignorant, inadequate, unqualified people who cannot or will not perform a given job properly, and then give you a kiss-ass attitude about it whether you like it or not. And heaven forbid you say something about it. I don't see this coming from Nascar drivers or Nascar officials. They should make all the money they can legally get. At least THEY "appear" to be doing something right.

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

Famous words from JFK

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I just don't get where people come to the conclusion that Nationwide series drivers are any less talented.
    It's just a different series. The cars are different. The rules are different.
    It doesn't make the drivers of that series second rate drivers.

Beyond the cars the only real difference is money and as I said before commitment. The actual race on Sunday is a small part of what a cup driver's responsibilities are. Cup sponsors are forking over big time money, upwards of 20-30 million for a primary sponsor. Those drivers work fulltime for those sponsors off the track.
    Nationwide sponsors, fork over alot less. The nationwide drivers have alot less commitment.
    They don't get the air time , the notoriety, or the fame as a result.
    It doesn't have anything to do with being talented.

Money buys speed. You get into cup and qualify for a race the entire field is often within a second of each other in speed. Naturally the level of competition is going to be tighter.
    That still doesn't make a cup driver more talented. It just means he has a cup ride with a mega million dollar corporation.
    Racing is a competition among drivers, machines, and teams.
    You take the competition out of racing when you start dictating who can and can't come to compete no matter their background in racing.
    Hamstringing the sport.

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Mark I dont think anyone is saying that the NW drivers are less talented (although some are), I know what I am saying is that the Busch/NW series has always been a jumping (starting off) point for many of the drivers you being from NC should know that and realize that.

Say what you will about the differences no one really cares they just see that most of the Sprint cup came from there so they (not all) see it as the minor league.

I could care less how much money a person makes if they are happy doing their job I dont even know why that was even breached with this subject. I think (me) that the NW drivers deserve to drive against other drivers where they have a possible chance at winning a race and a championship.

Too me I think that seeing Harvick/Edwards/etc the rest of the old buschwackers winning in the NW series having the money they have at hand would make it a chumpionship.

14. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I couldn't have said it better bro.

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its a shame to say but its all about butts in the seats.People pay to see Carl Edwards and Rowdy Busch.I bet they put an extra 500 people in the seats to watch the nation wide race.The cup drivers ARE better drivers, I dont ever recall a driver driving his whole career in the nation wide league and then end his years driving cup.nationwide is for young drivers to hone there skills.If you had 10 cup drivers dirving every week in the nayion wide races how many would finish ih the top 15? maybe 8 or 9?Let the cup drivers drive in nation wide races but no more then 6 races.
    smokey

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I say let the Cup drivers race 7 of the tracks that are not on the Cup schedule such as Nashville, Memphis, Kentucky, Gateway, Milwaukee, Iowa and O.R.P. in Indianapolis. Also, would like to see the up and coming drivers to race a full Nationwide or Truck schedule before they become a rookie in the Cup series.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Ever had one of those employment contracts put in front of you?
    You know ,the ones that say you cant work for any competition for 3 years. Can't start your own business for 5 years after you leave? These contracts pretty ensure that if you dont work for these pricks they'll sue you because you dang sure cant work for nobody else or yourself.

I signed one once. I forged Mickey Mouse's signature. I knew they wouldn't look at the signature. They rarely do.

Anyway, this topic reminds me so much of one of those no competition clause contracts.

Cup guys really whooped their asses yesterday. How many of the top 10 were fulltime cup drivers?
    The cup driver that won is what? A rookie cup driver. He even beat that Busch kid!

18. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I think the cup drivers should be allowed to race because it's good for the nationwide series, because it brings a lot more fans to the track and without the fans there wouldn't be any nationwide series. There's a lot more Carl Edwards fans out there than Todd Bodine fans, so it's good for the sport money wise, and everything is about money.