Should bullheads be considered panfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rajun_Cajun, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    i was reading an article in the 2006 guide of catfish insider by infisherman, and i was reading an article about bullheads. it says people are wanting to consider bullheads being panfish becuase tehnically they fall into every catagorie of a panfish. there great fro beginning fisherman, they steel your bait, there great table fare, you can catch them one after another which means they give you non-stop action. so tell me thats not everything a bluegill or any other panfish would be. i dunno i am kinda for both sides because i do think they should fall into the panfish categorie yet they're still a catfish though. but tell me your opinions and what you think cause i would love to here! still i dont know why, but bullheads are my favorite catfish. :004:

2. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i do beleive all panfish have scales. bullheads dont thus making them catfish. along with all the sensory organs a bullhead packs like his big brothers. there a catfish hands down

3. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    i am going to have to agree with you on that one chief

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    if it looks like a catfish and it taste like a catfish... its a catfish.

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I was always told that "panfish" referred to the size of the cleaned fish--whether it would fit in a skillet in one piece or not.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    in the scientific classifications bullheads are catfish but not the same genus as channels, blues and many other catfish species (bulls are Ameiurus along with white cats ... and channels, etc are Ictalurus) Flatheads are a totally different Genus as well...

They are generally not classified as panfish either... though their size generally lends them perfectly for the frying pan.

I guess if you must you can call them pancatfish...

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would have to agree with Chief of this one. They should be considered a catfish.

8. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Definition of a Panfish-
    a small fish, such as bluegill, that is caught on a hook and line and considered to be good eating; generally, a small enough fish to be cooked whole in a pan without having to cut into smaller pieces

To each their own I guess.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Bullheads are a catfish, they look like one and taste like one.

10. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A question I have about it is what if they made bullheads a panfish? Then wouldn't there be regulations on manner of taking and size/creel limits? I vote leave them in the catfish family cuz they are some good eatin, no matter the size. Forgive me all you die hard C&R brothers!!

11. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    :rolleyes: How big is the fish verus the of size is the pan?

Saying bullheads taste like catfish so they must be catfish is like saying gaters, froglegs, woodchuck, or turtle taste like chicken so they must be chicken.
    Just my humouous thoughts on the subject. ;)

Keep your lines wet.

12. wayne7009

wayne7009 New Member

State:
    miller missouri
    i dont much care for bullheads they just to small they swallow the hook to there buttho not much meat lol

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    not necessarily a "pan" fish, rather a "deep-fried" fish:D

14. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    See, you have to catch alot of them in order to justify catching them for food. That's why (IMHO) they should remain in the catfish species, so there is no limit on the number you can catch. JMHO

15. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Pan fish, or cat fish, I'll still eat em. One and all.