Should BJ give up his belt?

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by Flatheadhunter33, Dec 6, 2008.

Should the belt be relinquished?

1. Yes, give someone else a chance!

2. No, it's not a problem

3. I dont care...just wanna see some fights!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Everyone who watches the UFC knows that the 155lb division is way deeply stacked...Sean Sherk recently complained in an interview about how its unfair for the Champ (BJ Penn) to hold on to a belt that he is not even defending. With guys like Sean Sherk and Kenny Florian (and alot more) fighting for the number one contender spot, there should be a champ to fight once they rate the chance. So here is the question; Do you think that the champion in ANY division should have to relenquish their belt if they decide to move up or down to fight in another division?

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think a champion should always have to defend his title or step down imho.

3. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I say let him keep the belt as
    a trophy. But he can't keep his
    title as Champ. A new Champ has
    to be and will be established
    in time.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Is he not defending it at all and has no intentions on defending it? Im sure there is a time frame he must defend a title, Id hope. As long as there is a time frame or standards and he follows it let him have all the titles he wants, but you should defend it by whatever standards there are.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Why have fights to determine #1 contender? Why not have the champ defend angainst all comers? We crown a champ, we want to see the champ fight, after all we clamor for the best in everything else.

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    If he isan't going to defend his title, He should give up the belt. Let the no 1 and no 2 contender go for it in a title fight

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think a champ should defend his title AT LEAST once a year. If he hasn't fought in a year, there shoud be a fight for interim champ, then he becomes champ when he defends that title. Like, the Lesnar/Cotoure fight should not have been for a title. I hate it when they sit on a belt, and don't fight. What is the point in that? 1 year, I say. If he can move up and down weight classes, to fight in other divisions, but still defend his title, I'm ok with that.

8. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thiago Alves -vs- BJ/GSP

I predict Alves,1st round by murder.That guy should have got a title shot a year ago.UFC is all about the $$$$$$$$

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I aggree with ya on the money thing being the UFC top priority...Alves taking out GSP or BJ though...:eek:oooh:...i dont think he's quite ready for either of them....just my opinion.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Yes, give someone else a chance!

11. cicnolo

cicnolo New Member

State:
    ne. CENTRA
    for my two cents i think they should have to defend title 3 times a year. if they can not fight every 4 months maybe they are not a champion?

12. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well brother...looks like you might get your wish after all...:wink:

- The UFC's April PPV show is tentatively scheduled for Montreal. If Georges St. Pierre is victorious over BJ Penn at UFC 94 and is healthy, the UFC will probably schedule St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves in the main event.

13. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alves has dispatched a whos who of WW fighters in the last year and a half.Koz,Hughes,Karo,Lytle and now Swick is callin him out?????Alves just needs a title shot .He has def earned it.And I think he is ready for BJ or GSP.His striking and takedown defense is ridiculous:eek:oooh:

14. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If I head correctly GSP and BJ are fighting early January?!?!

should be a good match and I see GSP winning but with lots of trouble.

15. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree.I saw some pics for the upcoming fight and GSP looks monstrous next to BJ

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    BJ is gonna take a whoopin'! :smile2:

17. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well Im a BJJ guy at heart so I gotta go with BJ. GSP has been training BJJ in Brazil and he's never really been a slouch in his ground game. He's come along way since the first time he fought BJ. If BJ comes in at top condition, he'll give a GSP the best competition ever (in my opinion). The way things have been going though, BJ could come in better than ever and the fight will end with someone's knockout!:crazy:

18. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm pretty sure GSP got his black belt a couple months ago

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I think they should defend their title every 6-9 months or sooner if they are willing.

They do need time to heal and train for the next fighter.

20. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yeah but in a traditional sense...BJ is pretty much a hero for the American BJJ students. Ive watched his tournament stuff and I know that he's the kind of guy that you would dread to see across the mat from you...lol...his BJJ has been said to be better than alot of black belts out there....He's never really gotten the same recognition as guys like Jacare and Marcelo...but I think that he was same caliber as those guys.