Shotgun question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flatheadchris, Sep 29, 2006.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well i dont know a whole lot on them other then the size shot in the shells and how to use one.but i have a question:

i recently bought a single shot, break open, 12 gauge, 3 inch chamber,27 1/2 inch barrel, topper model 88 shotgun the barrel is 'Improved Cylinder :confused2: '

well i tried some 2 3/4 inch loads[size 7] around 50 feet and the spread was very good,but i noticed that when i use 2 3/4 inch 00 buckshot the spread is very bad[way to far apart] theres no threading so i cant use a choke.what should i do when it comes to something like deer hunting? can i use rifled slugs? thanks b.o.c

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    try some copper coated buckshot. federal makes them and i think remington does aswell. buckshot is just like a shooting a slingshot. you take a rock with a flat side on it and shoot it in a sling shot its not going to fly striaght but you put a ball bearing in it and it will fly striaght. the copper coating helps with the buckshot getting flatspots on it when traveling thru the barrel. all this talk about 3" and 3 1/2" guns that is out here today and i got a 2 3/4" that has out shot (1) 3 1/2, (4)3" guns that i have owned. at 55 yards i can put 9-10 out of 12 buchskot in a 12" square with my 2 3/4. i shoot the federal copper coated. i like a modified choke for buckshot. your imp. cyclinder may be hurting your pattern too, but only one way to find out. if your thinking about deer hunting with buckshot, remember it doesnt leave a very good blood trial to follow in most cases and be careful because they will bounce off trees and other things. one more thing. try differnet brands of buckshot if you dont get what you are looking for in one. my gun just shoot federal better than anything else i tryed.

3. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    ok,well right now i have just basic winchester loads.i dont want to spend to much on practice loads cause good ammo gets exspensive:crazy:

and 2nd thing,do u ever have a load to not fire after the fireing pin is launched? out of 15 shots i had 1 to do that.it was winchester ammo[basic skeet loads] i just recocked then it fired.

4. palogirl13

palogirl13 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know a lot about this subject but I would think you gun with IM barrel would shoot a slug better than buck shot. Some of those old single shot smooth bore guns would shoot a slug out to 100 yards in a 4 to 6 in pattern and that will kill a deer all day any day. I have a single in 12 Ga. that handles a 3 in shell but for slugs I use Brenneke 2 3/4 KO sabot slugs it will leave the muzzle at over 1,500 feet per second and at 100 yards hit with over 1000 pounds of foot pounds. This same shell will shoot 1 to 1 1/2 in group at 50 yards. I also have a new Browning silver hunter auto in 12 Ga. that will drive these slugs almost like a rifled barrel.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    never patterned buck shot but i know from experience copper plated shot does pattern more tightly as for the mis-fire a good de greaser sprayed into the firing pin area might work just make sure to hold it pin down so it drips back out if that doesnt work you might have to find a gunsmith

7. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    In a lot of states buckshot is NOT legal. You need to check your state law before hunting. A slug will work fine in your shotgun. I personally prefer slugs over buckshot. To many deer are wounded with buckshot is the reason a lot of states have outlawed buckshot.

Get in the habit of saving your empty shells when you go hunting. It keeps the fields clean and you can learn a lot from your shot shells. Look at the base of your shotgun shell where your fireing pin struck the primer. Is the indention very light or deep? If the indention is light that means your fireing pin is too short or not traveling far enough. First I would dissassemble the shot gun and clean the fireing pin area. It could have trash or dirt build up in the fireing pin channel that would stop the fireing pin from traveling full length required to properly strike the primer. Also look at the end of the fireing pin it could be broken or extreamly worn.

If the shotgun shell does have a deep mark where the fireing pin struck it then your shell probably was exposed to moisture sometime. It could be a shell that you took with you on a previous hunting trip and it got soaked by rain or crossing a creek. It could also be because it is an old shotgun shell.

Jesse

8. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    ok guys,well i already checked and buckshot is legal here.and can i shoot rifled slugs??[i found 4 boxes for 1.00 a box at the flea market].or would it damage my gun?

and for the fireing pin question,it is leaving deep holes[well not holes but u know what i mean],so i think it was just a bad shell,if it happens again with new ones i might need it checked..

how do i take the pin out? theres no screws or poke out pins around the area?

i only paid 75 for the gun,so i got it more for a good investment

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    as for the miss fire i would choke that up as a bad shell but if it happens again maybe take it to a local gun smith in your area. i have shot slugs in mine and never had any problems but i dont know what age of gun you have or what kind of condition it is in. i dont think it will hurt the barrel at all under normal conditions.

10. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    barrel is awesome,all shiny and silver,that hoppes 9 really works great.

11. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Frist off, 00 buckshot does not pattern very well in most guns. For several years I could only hunt areas that was buckshot only. It has been my experience that the # 1 copper plated buckshot pattern extremely well and has very good killiing power. You will have to shoot at different ranges to determine the best "effective" and most accurate range for your particular gun. I'd say that 30 to 50 yards is probably gonna be your max range with that Imp cylinder.
    I am not a big fan of buckshot because too many people do not take the time to pattern their guns and shoot beyond their capabalities. Too many deer are wounded this way and not recovered.
    Slugs will not hurt you gun. You want to use what is called a rifled slug. Meaning that the slug itself has small ridges on it to grip the smooth barrel better and give it a spin when it exits the barrel. This helps somewhat to improve accuracy. You are not goin to have very good slug accuracy with the shotgun you have. Your gun was designed to throw a wide pattern of shot and would be best used for bird hunting.
    Good luck

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A old single barrel 12 gauge H&R Topper with Mod.choke is the first shotgun that I had to hunt with.It was a 2 3/4 in chamber.#1 Buckshot grouped the best in it.With a lot of practice you can get off three killing shots at a covey of Quail kicked up in a broom straw field.I could and did several times.You have one shell in the gun and two stuck between your fingers with the brass facing you in the hand that you use on the fore stock.Your trigger hand operates the trigger,tang lever and flips the gun open and shut.Empties should spring out as the gun opens.Have your thumb on the primer of the shell that you are inserting into the chamber,flip the loaded gun up to lock as your hand goes to the fore stock and fire as you line up on target.This will be very awkward at first,but will come to be a natural action for most with practice.In the 50's there were more single barrel shotguns being used than all of the rest put together.This was the accepted way to reload and fire as fast as possible.It will be very discouraging at first.If you can,practice a few minutes every day.After a couple of weeks you will surprise yourself if you are normal.Just do it in a safe place and manner.You can fire rapid fire very quickly and hit your target with practice.You will also amaze yourself and your friends with the pumps and semi autos.peewee-williams

13. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Since its improved cylinder, the barrel is made to spread the shot out much further, as it is also made to shoot a slug. unless you have a gunsmith work on it, you more than likely wont have a real good pattern with any shot. As for shotshells, always go with namebrand, they may be a little more pricey but you can depend on them. good luck:cool2:

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I

I'm with you on the Brennekes, I now have a rifled barrel Mossy, that I shoot Federal Premium shells that have the Barnes Expander Sabots in them. Before I had that I shot the Brennekes in my 1100 Remington,20 Ga. It Shot just like a rifle & what knockdown it had :wink:

15. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Rifled slugs will not hurt your gun and they have more range and a lot more knock down power then buckshot. Like has been mentioned before, buckshot wounds a lot of deer that die later is why it is outlawed in most states including here in Ohio which has a shotgun only in deer gun season. Most deer in hill country is killed within 50 yards and almost any shotgun will shoot slugs fairly accurate at that range and some rifled barrels will shoot good out to around 125 yards. I hunt with a 1100 Remington with a Hastings rifled barrel and shoot a 6" group at 125 yards with hand loaded Lyman slugs that I pore myself which is not the greatest group but I'm only hunting deer and if you can keep your group the size of a normal size paper plate then you can kill deer.

16. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    Sweet...well i guess il sell my buckshot,slugs are funner to shoot anyways,buckshot is waste of money if i cant hunt decent with it

Oh and has anyone tried them "bonus box slugs" at wallmart for 8.00? made by winchester?

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    People have been killing deer in South Carolina for 350 years with buckshot.Is there some reason that you cain:t?Learn what 40 yards is and make that your maximum.I have killed running and even jumping Deer in mid air with buckshot.You have to find and use what You and your gun does best.Then use it.There is a time and place for buckshot and a time and place for slugs.You need to learn yourself and your gun.Then you will be able to use it properly.You must be able to hit your target to kill it.I wish you the best of luck.I did it.You can.peewee-williams

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Chris Peewee is telling you right man:smile2:

19. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Chris, those 12ga 2 3/4" shells with 00 buckshot only have 9 approx. .32cal peices of shot in them. so it's about like throwing a handful of rocks. It is effective though. slugs are good if you are going to be hunting a little further out.

Best thing i can tell you is the same thing we have to do in law enforcement and that is pattern your shotgun. What i mean by that is learn what the basic spread and pattern is from different ranges. As I have said so many times before tho practice, practice and more practice. Best of luck to you.

20. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    how many of them pellets are needed to take down the deer?