Shotgun Guage reducers- Anbody use a shotgun guage reducer?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Sep 6, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    any body used or have these. there available in cabelas. i have a single shot 20 and if i spend the $40.00 I GET TWO INSERTS. ONE IS A 4-10 AND A 28 guage. then the boy ang 8 can shoot it with 4-10 shells. just was looking for feeedback on them. basically 3 guns in one.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I started mine out with a pellet gun. Learn the safety and danger, and also something he'll never out grow....."My pellet gun, Pop got me." Then you can move up to the 410 youth model, also which he'll never outgrow. They make great guns for home protection. Just one pop to another. You got the 20 now, he'll have it later, and a 410 too. Ergo the question, "Can a fella have too many guns?" I'd rather teach em straight up guns than adaptors.
    Your a good Pop.

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sleeves are a cool deal and I have seen them around the skeet shooters for playing line games.
    Seems like they might be a little fragile as the guys treat them like they are glass. Suspect they might be prone to bending as they are thin walled. But I don't know much other than that.

On another approach , If you were wanting to manage recoil for the young ones which is a heck of a good Idea, I would suggest you find a buddy into reloading or a good sporting good shop and locate some reduced recoil loads for a 20.
    I made my own from a recipe in a reloading guide as we are set up with reloading equipment that were a pleasure for them to shoot. My Mrs still likes those loads as they are Painless. Keeping the pressure down and a little powder selection can make a pain in to pleasure.

Almost as important is getting a gun to fit them.
    Just as a reference, pick up a youth model and sholder it.. Nasty huh?
    Same deal when a little fella struggles with a Big people piece.

Glad to see your planning for those Kids. They are what its all about.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In a shotgun I would start them all out on a 12 guage.
    2-3/4 inch shells #8 shot.
    If you cant handle that in 90% of the guns out there a 20,28, or 410 aint going to be much help. I started on the 12 at a young age and I wasnt a hefty kid. I was tall and lanky. Its best to get that "fear of the kicking 12" out of their minds early on.

For a rifle I believe in starting out on the .22.
    You dont never hear about kids shooting at the neighbors dog or each other with .22's like you hear about the stuff that goes on with BB and pellet rifles.
    To me a gun is a gun and any gun can kill or maim. Safety starts before the youngin ever lays a finger on it.
    BB guns, whether we agree or not have fallen into the toy gun category over the years. When a gun has noticable report, does noticeable damage, and has some recoil its automatically sensed that it isnt a toy.
    Its serious business.

5. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I started my kids out with a 20 guage Win youth model with low brass shells.
    I used to shoot skeet some and when we shot 410 shells at to see how they patterned we wondered how we ever hit a target. Lots of holes. The first gun for all was a cut down pellet gun that they learned gun handling and how to be safe, then up to a small 22 Chipmunk, and next to the 20 guage and then to a cut down stocked Rem 600 243 Win. Now my grandkids are all learning on the same guns. And all my kids and grandkids are safe hunters. Of course all my kids have since went to bigger and better guns and enjoy the sport of hunting.
    Starting on the pellet guns we can shoot a lot in my backyard to learn and then we go to the range for the rest.
    This may not work for everyone but it has been great for us.
    Bill

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, the .410 is an expert's shotgun, not a beginner's. You don't have to spend a fortune for reloading equipment; I've reloaded hundreds of shotgun shells with a simple Lee Loader, and never had a problem.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There's certain to be disagreement on this point, but I don't like hammer guns for little hands. What seems to be child's play to an adult is, in reality, anything but.

I'm not a fan of semi-autos, but they do moderate recoil. Coupled with target loads, recoil can be reduced to a gentle nudge. 28 is the sweetest gauge, but unless you reload, ammo will break the bank. 20 is the best all-around choice, and non-toxic loads are widely available.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well he cant get the rem 1100 to his shoulder yet,lol. i have the 20 single shot pardner model in my pro pic i like squirreling with. the guage reducer would allow him or me to be able to shoot 4-10 and 28 out of one gun for $40.00. then i dont have to spend hundreds on a new gun. thats what i was getting at. then he can try and take his own squirrels. i have to put my hand behind the stock when he shoots the 20. hes a big boy but not got the react to shoulder a stock yet. and im afraid the guns hammer will lip bust him. last thing i want in the woods is a squalling kid. especially when ya add bleeding to it.

and hes already on the .22. i have a bolt action savage thats 30 some years old and looks like its new with/6 and a 10shot clip. and a fairly new marlin semi and a sears ted williams auto thats also old and i refinished it and it too looks like new. funny the marlin jams with cheap long rifle and wont even think of multiple shorts. only thing now it will semi is stingers. the antique ted williams will cap off a tube of shorts fast as ya can spit em out. awesome lil gun. i put a crossman scope on it and the boy calls it his sniper rifle. he likes shooting it.

these reducers i have only seen in cabelas and never knew they existed. stainless steel and just slip in the chamber. i also just relized the 20 is 3 inch capible. it like to toss me at 280+lbs with slugs. i cant immagine a 3". also the 20 is real light. he could never carry an 1100 for over an hour in the brush.

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Jeremy,
    I have a couple of reducers that Savage made 40 years ago or better. They are in 12 reduced to 20 and a 20 reduced to 410. The 12/20 is by far the better shooter. The 20/410 didn't work worth a flip. Not enough pellets in the 410 plus using the 20 guage choke made a wide pattern that you could have thrown a duck through and he wouldn't have got hit. I am a big fan of 28 guage but it is hard to find a lot of shells for them and they are high when you do. My single shot 20's all have hammers and we have never had a problem but they are youth models with short stocks and seem to fit them even at 6 or 7 years old. I have sawed stocks off and kept the piece that I sawed off and replaced it as they grew.
    Hope you find a way so he can shoot with you.
    Bill

10. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    My dad started me out with a 12 guage when i was 10. i remember that first shot like it was yesterday. the recoil knocked me flat on my butt.

I agree with your statement on bb guns 100%, trust me a bb gun can get you into a lot of trouble when your little and careless:roll_eyes: like shooting other kids...hhhmm:wink: needless to say i didnt get to shoot it anymore. the very low power and plastic on most bb guns just makes them look and ffeel liek toys, but they are definately not and can be deadly in teh wrong hands.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I started on a Remington 870 Wingmaster that is no doubt as old as I am or older and I'm almost 40. Its a 12 guage with a 32" full choke barrel. Still have that gun and its in very good condition.

Its also the absolute best 12 guage I have ever shot including those high priced over and unders. It doesnt point as well as the balanced guns but just plain shooting it is fun. I dont care what you run through it its an all day shooter. You can 6's or buckshot through it with hardly any noticeable difference.

You'll also find different manufacturers have different gas release timing.
    It makes a difference in recoil. The Remingtons are better then the Brownings in that respect from the ones I've shot.

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Anyone who says the 410 is an experts gun is a fella who's wife out shoots him; and it's easier to call her an expert. I've yet to see a 410 on the trap line where there's guys who never miss in evidence.
    The 410 just has it's place that's all. Great for tree rats, and saves the garden from getting tore up too bad.
    Now I'd have to say my great grandma was an "expert"; if I changed my opinion. But come to think of it, she may have been.

:smile2:

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    1st,if he needs a shorter stock,he needs a shorter stock.You use to be able to order the youth stock for your gun from the maker. Wal-mart sells the New England Pardner SB1-25C 20 gauge youth.$128.37 regular price.I have raised 2 generations on one and it is ready for the 3rd.Never a problem so far.You can pennie the stock to help reduce recoil.I once had the 12-20 gauge reducers.Clean and mark them so they they go in the same way every time as they may gradually stretch to fit your chamber exactly.Keep them lightly greased inside and out so that they will release shells and from the gun.I have used the Penn reel grease or the medium Yamaha blue marine grease for years now on my guns.I figured if it would protect from saltwater it would protect in freshwater.I was right.Remember that the whole thing ejects and you will have to manually remove the spent shell and reload the reducer before reinserting the reducer.For this reason,I personally would get two 20-.410 instead of a 28 gage.The 28 shells are hard to find and expensive.The .410 shells are high enough.Now I do not know your wants or needs on the size.Hope this helps.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For all of my life I could not purchase 28 gauge shells locally.I could order shells for competition,but not the assorted hunting loads.Even the 16 gauge shells got scarce for years and are just starting to get popular again.For a few years 10 gauge magnum were easier to find.16 and 410 shell cost are ridiculous compared to 12 & 20 gauge.The same for 22 shorts vs the 22LR.In my youth they were priced by size and the amount of powder and lead in them.No more!Is this a regional thing or do the rest have the same problems?I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.