shot size?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Wil, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ive been using BB all year and i havent been too impressed with it.. im lookin for a bigger shot size. is BBB bigger? i know that T is a good size but i couldnt find any in 3" only 3.5".. help me out brothers

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    in steel i shoot 3" #3 shot. When i could shoot lead it was only #6. The 3's seem to do fine for me but i always liked huntin timber. May not have enuff oump out in an open field where the shots are often further.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You left out some details here, like duck or goose hunting, what choke you're shooting, etc.

I'm gonna assume you're shooting geese because of the large shot size. I dont shoot anything but BB at geese. If i do my part it kills them dead. A lot of people around here have started shooting #1 at them, because you get more pellets with the smaller shot. I have even killed geese with #2 when duck hunting, sometimes you just dont have time to change shells. If you hit them in the head it kills them dead, otherwise they may just fly away. Have you patterned your gun on paper? Maybe you just have some holes in your pattern? Some people argue that smaller shot sizes penetrate better because of less frontal area. Some people say larger shot breaks bones better, and there is no denying it carries more energy downrange because its heavier. Those that are using smaller shot usually use a tighter choke (patternmaster, steel approved full, or improved modified). I shoot improved cylinder with BB. If you are dead set on going bigger go to BBB or T. Some places even have F shot, not sure about anywhere else, but that's illegal in maryland. Just remember, the bigger the shot, the less pellets you get in your pattern.

Either way, steel shot sucks compared to lead, and i cant personally afford to shoot hevi-shot or tungsten all the time (if you can, i'd go that route in #2) so i stick with steel.

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    right now im shootin BB steel with a full choke.. i have patterened my gun and its got a tight pattern from the looks of it.. idk my eyes could be screwin with me to i guess

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wil,For geese I like T shot,I would use BBB if the T wasnt available. I shoot the T through my IC choke tube. I use my MOD when I have to shoot BB You might try patterning it with a mod choke,if you have the interchangable tubes.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    First I would stop shooting steel out of a full choke. Steel is too hard for a full choke and will damage your barrel. Second, look at walmart or other retailers for a waterfowl specific choke tube. I have a patternmaster and it works great.( its also $85 :eek:oooh:) Third, try to be realistic on your shots. A giant Canada goose is a big bird with thick down on the breast. They are a tough bird and can take a pounding if you don't get a head shot. You may also let the birds work just a little closer and then take them.

Hope this helps

7. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I have always had good results with 3 1/2 BBB, for giant Canadians on long shots. For field hunting I tend to use 3" BB and the 3 1/2 for the river.

For some reason tend to get them closer in the fields.

8. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    All i use for big canadians is BBBs i have hade the best luck with it. I did get i new wad wizard choke tube this year and i am really impressed with the range i get with it. All i hunt is open fields. I dont hunt water at all.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I shoot steel shot out of an improved cylinder choke tube. It makes my gun pattern around modified as steel shoots tighter patterns than lead. I shoot #2 steel. I don't shoot at birds further out than 40 yards.

Don't even look at the gooses body when you shoot. Concentrate on the head. One pellet in the neck or head and you have a dead goose.

10. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thanks brothers, this has helped alot!

11. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I shoot 3" #2 and 3 steel at ducks and 3 1/2" BBB at geese. Works well for me.