shot a small buck today - weatherby .30-06 and 165 grain sierra pro

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Nov 9, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    got to go deer hunting today. got to the river late, after sunup, but decided to stay all day. i was sitting on a hill when this little 10 point trotted through the salt cedars 300 yards away. the sun was right above him and it was making it hard to see, but i have to put meat in the freezer right now. i shot over him and he took off, then stopped to look for me. he wasn't in line with the sun then, and i had a better shot. that shot hit him a little far back but knocked him down. he did the belly crawl thing for 10 feet and died. i shot him with my weatherby .30-06 and 165 grain sierra pro hunters. i can't say enough good things about those bullets. the deer wasn't gut shot but the bullet also wasn't close to the lungs, although both lungs were destroyed. this is one of the smallest bucks i have ever shot, but i am going to do a skull mount with him anyway. he has really dark antlers which i haven't seen much except in the mountains. most of our whietails' antlers are almost white. i just processed a big hog, now i have 2 coolers of deer meat to do! i love hunting season. thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nice buck! Congrats!

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Well I wouldn't say that it was small, it is a very nice buck. Congrats!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jordan,What it lacks in size ,it makes up with symetry. Thats a nice lookin buck.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Fine lookin deer and sounds like ya got that '06 dialed in too. I also shoot a weatherby in 270 cal. and wouldn't trade it for anything.Congrats

6. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Real nice buck! congrads!!

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Thats a REALLY pretty deer. Nice job.

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I 2nd this motion

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    i was sitting on a hill when this little 10 point trotted through the salt cedars 300 yards away.

Man I need to come hunt with you if that is little. Nice buck Jordan and I am glad you got some meat in the freezer.:wink:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Heck, looks good to me. Congrats.

11. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congratulations Jordan !!!!

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks yall. richard (223reload) can back mke on this one- we have huge whitetails in the tx panhandle. the mulies are even bigger. i am strictly a meat hunter, but i do enjoy the antlers. i am going to do a skull mount with this one. just got done with the processing, and the freezer is filling up! if i tag out i can get 5 more deer. gotta find a way to get work in sometime though! i am heading out again for another all day trip in 3 1/2 hours. i haven't had a trip this year with sleep beforehand. got to get it while it's hot i guess. good luck to all of yall!

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats. Be some good meat in the freezer.

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good buck in my book ! Congrats!

15. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    NICE BUCK YOU GOT THERE JORDAN! Always a plus when you don't gut shot them. That sun can be a bother sometimes!

16. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Nice Buck. I can not wait. Leaving Monday for a muzzle loading trip.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    just got back in. on the way in at 0430 we saw a 6x7 with a drop tine standing by the road. my buddy from arkansas almost fainted. the buck wanted to cross the road, but he didn't want to while we were there. after we got done drooling, we kept on and saw the reason: 20 or 25 does on the other side of the road a little further down. also saw a herd of 15 or so hogs rooting up the bar ditch. looked to be a pretty productive day, but it was 11 hours of pure unadulterated coyote watching. wanted to smoke a few but didn't want to ruin our chances of another deer or hog. saw more deer on the highway out. this bright moon is really messing up the hunting! good luck to everyone going out!