Shortening the shaft on a Trolling Motor

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by cat-tracker, Jul 19, 2009.

1. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
  2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i unscrewed the shaft from the motor end and cut it off and rethreaded it. put a little pipe dope on the threads to waterproof and you're set to go. this may not work on a composite shaft since i dont know if they're screwed into the motor or pressed in and glued.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Cut down many trolling motor shafts into little stubbies.
    Also moved the rheostat out of the head of the motor and mounted it with a small knob next to the driver seat.
    Make some wooden foot pedals, a little rope, and some pulleys... You got a mean hands free fishing machine.

4. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Mark, that sounds like a nice project. Do you have any pictures you can post so I will have some ideas to start with?
    Thanks

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Matt, like Mark said a buddy of mine and I took the top of the trolling motor off cut the shaft with a tubing cutter, extended the wiring and had the throttle next to seat on kayak. The steering with foot pedals and 400# test marlin line was used for cables. I had posted a couple of pictures on my tricked out yak in this section some time back, hope this helps.

6. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks Mike, I'll look for it and check it out. By the way did it take long?

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Matt, my buddy did his before I bought the same kayak. Mine took half as long and turned out better avoiding some problems he had initally. My bracket was easy patterned after the initial one. As far as time spent fooling with it no one would have paid me to do it:smile2:but it was fun modifying it and got alot of looks when we cruised by them paddling. The best feature was the hands free steering. I recenty sold mine to him with the understanding i can still use it. I don't have a truck on the island to transport it. Definitely an enjoyable project!