Short Stay on Lake Moultrie: Gator Attacks Snorkeler

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Sep 17, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thought I'd pass along this story in the news today. It is highly unusual for a gator to attack someone, and this will be investigated by DNR to see if they can figure out 'why'. I've actually seen this same gator in that location before. Read it here.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    That is an amazing story in any case.I would think that if the man was in the water the gator would have a hard time ripping his arm off.Normally they pull their victims under and drown them first.It may turn out this guy tried to feed the gator or tried to do a "swimming with gator" stunt.Needless to say having ones arm ripped off cant be fun.:sad2:Hope he makes it.We had an article in the local paper saying that due to the summer drought, animals were appearing in places where they wouldnt normally be in search of food.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Tommy. I hope the man will be OK.

It would be nice to hear the whole story of how he got attacked. Just goes to show, you always have to treat those creatures with a lot of respect!

4. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Everyone has a different opinion on alligators. The way I see it (which is not the popular opinion), is they were here before we were, therefore we are the ones encroaching. Hope this guy heals up. I had one attack my boat a while back, but upon further review I realized I tied up close to the bank where her babies were. I was in a pontoon boat, so I was not in any real danger, but if I had been in a really small Jon Boat, things would have gotten a little "tight", as she was a biggun!

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I used to see them gators all the time while fishing in Florida.

You can bet your bottom dollar I didn't swim in those waters! NONE of those waters!

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea you gotta respect them big boys. I grew up in Fla so I got to see them everyday. If he was in the water when his arm was being pulled off it prolly saved his life from drowning. Its amazing what they can do when they roll. I was fishing around a sign that said, " No feeding the gators " with my wife in a paddleboat next thing I know is a 6' gator took my bobber and started pulling us around. It kinda freaked her out but I thought it was kinda funny. - I really hope the guy is ok-

7. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks for posting this Tommy. I can't beleave aguy actually lost his arm. I've gotten to the point I rarely even pay them gators any attention any more.

8. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    did you'll look at pictures that went along with story. Picture of gator with man's arm in his mouth. Lot of respect when around the gators.

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks for the post, Tommy - I hope that the gentleman recovers soon. When I was living in Colorado people were always complaining about the bears & the cougars, but the reality of the situation is that you need to take precautions when you're in their territory.

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    It will be intresting to hear the victims story. It is my understanding gators become a danger to humans once they get over 8 feet.

Jaime

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i agree with catch & release...you know they are there and if you choose to swim or ski or whatever then you have accepted the risks that go along with it...can't blame the gators because it is their habitat and home...just the same for sharks...they get a real bad rap...if you walk right past the sign on the beach warning you of sharks in the area and you still go swim or surf then don't blame the shark if and when some one gets "attacked"...both gators and sharks and other marine and animal life can and will "attack" for many reasons but the fact of the matter is that they were there long before any of us were and will probably be there when we are long gone...respect all wildlife and give them their space...admire them from a safe distance and DON'T MESS WITH EM!!!...i do hope that this guy is going to be o.k. and hopefully many people will learn from the mistakes that were made here.

12. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    heres a couple of pics i found on another site,open with caution and children beware,they are pretty gruesome

Attached Files:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    guys im not going to get in a debate here and not going to reply to any post but i live in bear country and when an animal loses its fear of humans ehough to attack and try to eat him or her they need to be removed from the herd.this aligator is no exception it needed to be killed.all the gators in the world aint worth the lost of one human.

14. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    MB Online reports they were unable to re attach.

15. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the post Tommy. I can't count how many times I've jumped in the water to cool off, or had my feet dangling in the water down around that area. I guess I had beter think twice before doing it again.

16. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I think about that alot when I'm leaned over the edge of the boat washing my hands or filling buckets... In coastal NC it is becoming more common to see gators this year because of the drought. He would actually be glad he didnt get that arm reattached. He would have litte/no motion and be in pain constantly for the rest of his life. I cant imagine the pain he endured when that gator rolled and wrenched that arm out of the shoulder socket!!! I'd rather have a quick barracuda/Bluefish bite!

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, and here's a 10 footer that I found on the river today. Due to the location, I suspect someone may have intervened in its affairs...

Attached Files:

18. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i know this is sc thread,but down here in so. alabama we got gators galore. i swim and ski in the same waters as them and they dont really bother anybody... but, i pick and choose places and times, i wouldnt just go wading out through the lilly pads after dark. has yalls state started a gator season yet? we luv ours, and it helps keep the pop. in check. jmho

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I miss eating them. Florida had that lottery permit thing also. I havent live there in eight or so years now.

20. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    our hunt only lasts about 2 weekends and i think they upped it to 100 tags this year, but i know some guys who drew one. man that was a heck of a cookout! they had some grilled and some fried. it was bad to da bone.