Short shank hook

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bro_catfish, Feb 4, 2006.

1. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Not to long ago I bought a few packs of 5/0 hooks, but the shank is very short . the eye is only just taller then the point of the hook
    I always heard and thought that this was a good thing cause it will rotate and react faster and catch fish...right

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Now thats a good question. I never could see the advantage of a long shank hook for general fishing. But they sure do make them. So called "cricket" hooks are a good example. I wonder if it isn't an attempt to protect the knot.? Thats the only advantage I can see. Could it be a hold-out from days long ago. The long shank will give you more metal to hold a big worm which was a prime bait at one time. Or perhaps for a long piece of pork rind so it stays flat and looks more like a minnow ?

Like you say, the shorter shank will give the hook a better chance to rotate in the fishes mouth.

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    the hooks with the short shank are live bait hooks. it allows the baitfish to swim around more naturally without having the extra bulk. long shank hooks like cricket hooks are used mostly for panfish such as bluegill which tend to swallow the hooks quite frequently. the long shank is for hook retrieval.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I bought a bunch of those short shanks in7/0 & 9/0 last year to try out. got um cheeeep on e-bay with the circle hook craze i guess nobody wanted um. i havent got to try them out yet but i will. those little long shanks is all i use to catch bait.

5. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Yeah I got these on Ebay as well, I guess Ill find out in a few months which work better when ..thanks

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Bad,you beat me to it.