Short GMR Report

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I got out on Monday night and again last night for about 3 hrs each night, trying the same area but different spots at each night within sight of each other.

Fished for channels from about 7-10:00 p each night with Cut shad,

Monday water was clearer and managed a single 2lb channel fishing in a smooth run under a bridge abutment in about 7-8 ft of water, I only had 1 good hit, and a lot of nibblers I assume were small guys not big enough to take the bait.

Last night fished some rip rapped shore that was dropping off to about 10 ft of water with no luck other then lots of little hits so I moved to some woody debre that was only in about 3 or 4 feet of water and really was a stick up in the water and within 5 minutes, about had the rod jerked out of the rodholder and landed a nice 4.25 lb channel that was healthy and pretty in coloration. He felt bigger as I think he was around a limb for a bit. He was a decent fish and I thought surely there would be another nearby but after two more rigs back to the same spot that resulted in breaking off both times, I moved back to the same spot on Monday I got my 1 fish, but no luck there.

The moral of this report is that I still do not have a post spawn pattern figured out, nor do I have a lot of faith in this area for early summer channels.
    2 good hits and 2 fish landed on the circles, so I cant complain there.

I was fishing just south of Dayton

Anyone else getting any channels lately and if so any tips on how and where you been getting them?

Im headed out again tonight with Pendog66 and Jackfish, (can you tell the wife is out of town? :smile2: )

Salmonid

2. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    you say sout of dayton where abouts and what areas. and congrats on catches

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    304 feet of water in the GMR? What are you and those dayton guys smokin? :lol:

At least you are enjoying the fishing.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, at least your catching some..I usually dont fish much from late June till late July..Good job!

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck brother, wish I lived closer.

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    What's going on Mark. I haven't been out in a week and a half or so. I caught two channels, one of them was around ten pounds.

I want to try and get out on Thursday or Friday. If you want, you are welcome to invite me out on the new boat. :big_smile:

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Chubba the new boat "the S.S. Swiss Cheese" has a few holes getting welded up this week,( apparently from leaking battery acid) but hopefully next week we can get out in it.

Sorry about that, that was supposed to be 3-or 4 ft of water:embarassed:

The spots I tried were near the Miamisburg Dam and were new spots to tryso I really didnt have anything to loose and only a good spot to gain, so I guess it could have been worse, but 1 hit per 3 hrs with 2 rods out is getting a little old. I was hoping some others had gotten into a better more stable pattern.

If anyone is interested, tonight a couple of us are headed to try the WC Dam area for flatties ( from shore) Meeting around 8:00 pm or so,have limited bait so anything you can bring would be appreciated. Let me know before 4:30 today by PM so I can get you details

Teays, sorry only folks with 10 complete fingers allowed......:tounge_out:

Salmonid

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys, Your all in luck. The great Mellonhead will be gracing you w/ his pressence Thursday night somewhere on the mighty GMR. Mark, we'll talk more on the morning, also have to plan the gar outing! :lol:

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, Bite me. hehehe

Hope yall get a ton of fish brother.

10. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    hey there salmonid i found your sight. lots of cool folks on here. i ended up catchin a little flat head and a couple nice channels after ya left about midnght to 1. then the law decided i was not aloud to park there after dark. been parkin there since i was 16. guess crack heads are ruining it for us is what the officer said

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that is a load of BS! that same excuse is being used everywhere in the area to keep folks from nightfishing and there is nothing going on at all! PARANOIA!

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree w/ ya Dink. I bet that cop tonight (just now) would have gave us more crap if we didnt have Andrew with us. You could tell you was a little aggravated.

13. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    What are we talking about here? Are the cops trying to tell you guys to no longer park along the river at night? Are they actually walking down to where you are fishing, or just catching you when you leave? I was out tonight til 2:30 am, but a cop would of had to walk a mile to find me. Even when I left though, there was some people fishing right in front where they parked. What all areas is this all going on in?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just started flathead fishing again, and I need to fish at night.

14. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    this was a miami township cop checking me out in MIAMISBURG which was out of his area. and if i remember right a ranger has to bust you on the river because thats the Conservancy districts i may be wrong on that. but i want to find the law that says i am not aloud to park on a street or parking lot. and he told me as well that the park was closed at dark but there is no sighns and people were at that park untill 11:30 pm so honestly i think it was him being nosey

15. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was in Miamisburg last night. I parked at the low damn, had no problems, and I stayed til 2:30. I know another group parked in the park a couple miles down from the low damn. They fished upstream from me from 11 til 1.

Hopefully these cops find something better to do soon.

16. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We had some issues with the Splash Moraine area with them locking gates on us recently, nothing serious but the same issues, park closes at dark, even though here are no signs posted with park hours.

I do understand there being nosy and all but if I check out, leave me be and move on, no reason to make me leave when I have done nothing wrong.

Frustrating and yes, Dink is right, it all boils down to the local enforcement being paranoid that folks are all evil and up to no good when fishing at night.

Salmonid
    PS Welcome aboard Akillis!! glad to have another local on board!

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Chubba, I never had any problems there but everytime I find a nice little away from the road spot, where your car stands out like a sore thumb, your gonna be asking for problems. No question about it.

Good deal on the flattie you got, was he on a chub? live dead?

Salmonid

18. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    The flat was caught on a live bluegill. All my channels were caught on cut bluegill. Around 9 I switched both poles to live bait. I had plenty of runs on live ones, but I think the majority were channels.

When I go to the area you are talking about, I always park in the lot before the gate. It's a little longer walk, but I have never had any problems. Once this year a cop was in the parking lot when I left around midnight, and he didn't say a word to me.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

20. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    this is true akillis but dont give them to much crap. because they can detain you and call in the dnr or local gamewarden. also if it is posted that it is a conservancy type of park they all close at dusk not dark. and they will get you there. and yes miami township in miamisburg hes defenitly not in his jurisdiction unless he was called for a mutual aid meaning that miamisburg officer wasnt able to respond. if someone had called and reported your vechicle on side of road. its easier to just say im sorry didnt know that and go about your way. cause them guys up that way can be a lil uptight on some measures