Shore view of old well pictures pictures in Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's a couple more pics of the well, plus some of the parts we couldn't see when we were on the water, but were in plain site from up on the bank. I believe the titles of the pics should explain what you're looking at.

Attached Files:

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's three more views. In the "well head" picture, that's not a rope attached to it, it's a weed on top where I took the pics from, it just happened to come out that way.

Attached Files:

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats really cool Jim. History is so interesting to me. If I get out there to fish with you this summer Jim, Id like to see that well. Great pics. :)

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    How deep do you think the well is, how deep do you all have to go to hit the water table? I'm guessing that the well predates the lake, so I'm betting there is still a good bit of "well" below the surface. Neat stuff, maybe a depression era homestead???

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jim; could you please go back and prune that tree! :rolleyes: lol
    It looks like a gold mine around there, wish I was snooping around it :cool:

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie, that was our intention when we seen the well from the Toon, shine a light or drop a rock down to see how long it would take or if we could hear the it hit the bottom. But as the pic of the top of the well shows, it's completely covered with dirt. It's possible that it was filled in when they flooded the valley. Can't get to close to it from the top as it's a couple of feet away from the bank, and the top of the bank is undercut a couple of feet too, only a couple of feet of soil there. Judging the distance from the well to the old river bed, it's quite possible the well goes down again as much as it is showing(?)
    Earlier some one mentioned using a metal detector, there is so much metal stuff lying around on top of the ground it's unreal. We've found hubs from old metal wheels, pulleys(rusted together), bracing straps, couple of different styles of barbed wire, barbs are pretty much corrodes away though. Jerald has a metal detector, we're going to take it with us next time we go, probably tomorrow.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Keith, all you'd have to do is give me a holler and let me know you're on the way, we'd be happy to take you down to the location.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That is a neat lokin artifact Jim. I would enture to say that you are correct in thinking it is filled up with dirt or something or it would have fallen years ago once it became exposed to the elements.