Shore fishing this weekend in Minnesota

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by nuthinlikeacat, May 16, 2006.

1. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I was thinking of going out either Friday or Saturday and fising the MN river near Shakopee or Burnsville or possibly even near St Peter to try for some flatties or maybe a few walleyes. I plan fishing from shore. IF I decide to go to St Peter, I will drive, and anyone is free to tag along. Anyone else interested? If you are interested, let me know by Thursday night, so I can try and get some bait.

2. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'll prolly be out this weekend but not sure where or when yet. Depends on the weather.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Just heard a great weather report.
    Possible One last small round of showers tomorrow then starts getting better with possible highs of 85F by next weds.
    I'll be out this weekend, And will be out early tomorrow.
    thanks
    Larry

4. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    what type of shifts do you guys work? Just wondering so maybe we can plan some early morning fishing trips.

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I work nights. 10-7 & 9-9

6. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Rob,
    Where you at in MN? Do you work a Sunday through Thur work week?
    I work a Sun -Thur work week, so most of my fishing is done Fri and Sat. When my fiance is off during the week, I may make a few late night trips during the week.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I am in Eagle Lake MN but work in St. Peter. I have every other weekend off which is Fri, Sat, Sun Nights. This upcoming weekend I have off.

8. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Thats pretty cool. I grew up in Le Center, and I have fished the St Peter Area pretty heavily the past 20 yrs or so. I live in Eden Prairie now. I know a ton of good catfish spots right in St Peter. I might head down near the boat landing this weekend in St Peter to try for some flatties. I usually dont get out there until a little before dark, and usually stay until 3 or 4 am. Pretty much got it figured out that right in that area, there is usually a 10:00 pm, 12:00 Am, 2:00 Am and 4Am bite there.

I also do alot of fishing near the Kasota landing. I catch a lot of fish there, but usually not a whole lot over the 20+ lb range. The Walleyes should be in that creek now....if a person can get back there. I was down in Kasota this past weekend, and the road back to the boat landing was still under about a foot and a half of water.

If you decide to go out there this weekend, let me know, and I'll see if I can make it down there!

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The past couple of years I have been fishing the St. Peter area quite a bit. The river is still pretty high even though it has come down, the kasota area is still under a bit of water I am guessing. Good news though the big flats are out and about. A buddy of mine got a 42lb flat last night. The bite lately has been between 9p and about 11p from the reports I have been hearing from friends. I still am not sure what my plans are for this weekend, might be going out in a boat on Fri and I might be going to a catfishing/bachelor party Sat. night. I will let you know though.

The river is dropping so slow right now I wish it would come down another couple of feet. Its suppose to get alot warmer next week but with that comes the chance of more rain.:crazy:

10. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I'm heading out to Kasota and St Peter fishing on Saturday. Figure I'll fish Walleyes until it get close to dark, then get out the Big Rig and go for some kittys!

11. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Good luck this weekend guys, let us know how you do.

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Very nice night out after the last couple of crappy weeks we have had. I was so happy to finally be out o the river again and not be freezing my butt off. I got a 28lb and a 3lb. I wish I coulda stayed out longer but my buddy had to go, plus he didnt even have a single run. :big_smile:

13. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Just got back from the river over by St Peter. Between two of us we landed 5 fish. One small channel and four flatties. One flattie measured just under 41" and the other 3 were in the 25-30" range. The biggest had to probably push a bit over 30 lbs, but the other flatties were in the 10-15 lb range.Solid fish, but nothing to brag about.
    Although the river has come down some, it is still plenty high with a pretty swift current on the mainstream. we had Our best luck in spots along shore with eddys present, or flats where we knew there were submerged sandbars.

Rushing,
    There have been some BIG walleyes taken out of the backwater in St Peter in the past week. I know for a fact of 4 taken out of there over 8lbs, and numerous in the 3-5 lb range. If you get a chance to go into Hermies bait shop, check out the wall. A guy I used to work with has a 9lb 3 oz Walleye on the board from the past week.

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I fished up river from St. Peter last night and it was slooow, from reports from other friends that were out last night it was slow for them too. We only managed one small 4lb flat. Some friends in a boat got a 33lb and a 8lb, thier fish came early then nothing. We only stayed out until about 1am, with the lack of action and the chill in the air we called it a night. Glad to hear you had some luck! I did see a picture of a flat that came out of the pond in St. Peter on a flyrod yesterday!

Not quite sure the back water you are talking about, but those are some nice eyes!

15. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Guys,
    had 3 good runs, No fish boated when we went out on the boat Sat eve. Water is coming down. It could be prime next weekend if there are no big rains and we get the warm weather forcasted.
    Ryan, Sweet Job on getting some flatties. The 42" has the potential to be a big fish if you compare to others approximate same size, but they can be lean this time of year if they are just starting to bite.
    Rushing, I hear you about the chill after 10:30 that set in.
    I saw the pic of the Flat that came out of the pond on a flyrod, and the carp to I guess. The luck:crazy:
    I tip my hat to the guy for going the distance. How long did it take him to get it in?
    thanks
    Larry

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I dunno how long it took but it has to be some sort of record. A flat on a flyrod?!? I wanna go down there sometime soon and try flyfishing for some carp.

17. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Rushing,
    Where up river where you fishing? Below the State Hospital where the rock piles are, or the other way towards Le Sueur?

The backwater I am referring to is in St Peter right behind the Cop shop. We went there Sat night and the water in ther has came down quite a bit, but they were still getting Nice Walleyes using bobbers and minnows/leeches. Some were getting a few casting also.

Larry,
    When we going to get out sometime?What days of the week do you usually go out? I dont know where you go out, but I drove down by Blackdog, and it only took me 15 minutes. I thought it was a further drive for me than that.
    I may possibly fish the River in Chaska early this week, depending on how late I have to work. I have some bait to use up yet!

18. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Here is a pic of one of the flatties we caught. I think it was the third firsh of the night, and I think it went right around 15 lbs. Not a bad fish, but I hope to find a few bigger ones in the coming weeks.

smallFlattie.jpg

19. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yeah down below the state hospital. hmmm the only thing I can think of behind the cop shop is that bend in the river right before you get to the boat landing.

20. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Thanks for all the updates guys. Rob and Ryan, it sounds like you had a decent weekend.