shore fishing rivers-where to?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by dixiebanjo, May 23, 2008.

1. dixiebanjo

dixiebanjo New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hi guys,I live in Gainesville and Im trying to find a decent place to catch some fish. Ive been to lake Brittle and had great days and then did the same thing and got skunked. Its a hard place to figure out....at least for me it is. Id like to go to Occoquan or Potomac but Im having trouble finding a place to fish from shore there. Do any of you know of any access points to those rivers where you can park your car and go fishing from the shore? I read about the route 28 bridge on occoquan having a place like that. Have any of you been there? I do have a canoe that I could use.....I just like shore fishing because its less of a pain.

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC.

The occuquan regional park is a great place to fish from the shore. It is located off of Route 123. The Southern Part of the George Washington Parkway has a number of pull over spots for parking and you can fish from the shore in those areas.

3. Stiles85

Stiles85 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Let me know if you find any other good places man. I've been in Manassas for a couple years but just started fishing again this year. I've been to lake brittle but haven't had a lot of luck there yet. Anyone ever catch anything of decent size out of there?

4. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    WELCOME TO THE BOCFROM NORTH CAROLINA!! SORRY I CANT HELP WITH A PLACE UP THERE BUT GOOD LUCK!! CHECK OUT OUR LIBARY IT HAS A GREAT DEAL OF INFORMATION IN IT AND ALSO THE GUYS ON HERE ARE SO HELPFUL!!:big_smile:

5. dixiebanjo

dixiebanjo New Member

State:
    virginia
    Im gonna try occoquan reg park. Thanks. I went to Brittle on tuesday night. Spent four hours around the fishing dock and boat ramp and caught nothing.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Lake Brittle has frequently been mentioned around here--an awful lot considering its small size! This gives you an idea as to how over-fished it is.

I do believe the fish are "smarter" in that small 17-acre lake than elsewhere--they have to be to survive. I used to catch huge bass there using a big jointed Jitterbug when I was a kid...not anymore!

This lake is most responsive during sporadic rain showers and overcast days. This may seem counter-intuitive, but think about it...sunny-day fishermen stay home on these days! :wink:

By the way, the huge bass are still there...if you can catch them!

7. Stiles85

Stiles85 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hah! I was at Lake Brittle on Tuesday night! Don't suppose you saw a white car parked outside the gate? That was mine! I spent from about 1030/1100 pm till about 4am up on the point on the far side. Didn't catch a thing. Anyways, good luck to you on the river!

8. dixiebanjo

dixiebanjo New Member

State:
    virginia
    Actually, yeah I do remember seeing a white car....