Shore Fishing ON the MN. Blackdog discharge by 35W

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Larry, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Decided to head on down to the MN and see if any were biting.
    Tried Crawlers, live and cut sucker, No bites.
    On the bright side. I did get my wife out for the first time Catfishing and fishing in general its been about 6 years. We had a good time.
    The water is cresting today and overflowing banks. Probably have a real shot at catching some fish next weekend by then the water temps will be in the 60s.
    Woo Hoo.
    thanks
    Larry

2. jagrizzle

jagrizzle New Member

State:
    minnesota
    Larry,
    i myself fish balckdog at the spilways on the mn river. i have caught some small flatheads in log jams along the bank in the past but i have never had any luck in either of the canals or the spillways. do you have any tips for me to be more successfull? good luck to ya this spring and i hope to hear back from you.
    -jack

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota

Welcome to the BOC Jagrizzle,
    Its nice to meet another MN fisherman, I'll be honest with you, the times that I fished those areas, Catfish (channel and Flats) were the farthest thing from my mind.
    I've never managed to catch anything in the canals down at blackdog. Last week was the first time that I ever really fished the canal for any period of time (more than 10min,) because the MN was flowing so FAST!!!
    I have caught fish in the spillways when the lake is feeding into the river. Everything from Walley, Sucker, Drum, Carp. Almost all on crawlers as I recall. I think that it would be a good cat spot as well under the right conditions and bait, Especially channels
    I have heard and read postings that there are Catfish in Blackdog lake, I wouldnt be surprized, but no confirmation on fish being taken there.
    I have pulled 20lb+ Flats and 10lb channels out of the river between savage and the Mississippi river by boat.

A few tips for the spillway area.
    The river just reached its flood crest a couple days ago, so the water is WAY UP making for more interesting fishing.
    1. Caution: Its very snaggy in the spillway mouths.
    2. For the next few weeks you will need lots of wieght if your going to fish main river. At least 4oz and you would be okay up to 7-8oz.
    3. I can say that I have only caught a few cats (and small ones at that) on crawlers in the MN river. Most of our fish are taken with minnows.

Good luck Mate, keep us posted
    thanks
    Larry