shopping for a 30-06

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by scooter079, Aug 3, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im looking for a good 30-06 but im on a pretty tight budget so what is a cheap but good deer riffle in 30-06

2. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Savage model 110 with the accu trigger. Shoots very very well. Savage is currently the oldest continuous manufacturer of modern bolt guns in the U.S. They have been doing it a long time and never stopped making them and they are still in business today.Remington 700 ADL or SPS in Synthetic stock Very goog bolt gun They have been making them continually without going out of business for a long time too.Sniper teams use Remington Bolt guns. If you're on a really tight budget you can get an H&R single shot for $250 or less and they are a good gun for the price it aint pretty but best deal going right now and you can send the receiver and forend back and they will put another barrel of any caliber you choose from their list for $87 plus tax and shipping. They have been making these guns since 1871 and they must be doing something right cause they are still making the same gun today.You may be able to pick up my favorite rifle for under $500 in synthetic Tikka T3. It's made by Sako and very accurate and smoothest action in its class and better action than alot of those rifles in the higher classes as well.Shoots better than most they don't ship from the factory unless it shoots under an inch. That's just a few. I just bought an H&R in .444 Marlin single shot. I am going to shoot it next week. I spoke to several of my buddies that have them and they said they shoot very well especially for the price and they hunt with them the entire season with no problems. You definately can't go wrong with the .30-06 it's my favorite caliber of all. The .30-06 has killed just about every animal that has walked the earth. Any of those listed above will give acceptable accuracy for hunting big game.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    WEATHERBY. ITS A REAL GOOD WEAPON!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you don't mind using a single shot,NEF ultra hunter ,the great thing is after you get a rifle,you can get other bbls in any cal. they offer like the Thompson encore.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    forgot to add these
    marlinfirearms.com
    neffirearms.com

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Still early enough before hunting season that you might find a good used one. Still like the Rugers and Remingtons.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have a ruger model 77 that is about 30 years old and it still shoots like a brand new one.

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I second the NEF.
    NIB should be around $250.
    Plus can send the rifle in and have any barrel(except rimfire and 10ga) fitted to it.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ill second all thats been mentioned, I think its hard to find a "bad" 30/06. I bought a savage 110 w/o accutrigger, too old. Ive heard they have the rep of being the most accurate out of the box. If I had it to do over again Id spend double and get something stainless.

10. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Is deer all you will be hunting with the rifle? What conditions will you be hunting in?

11. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The NEF seem to do better with cheaper ammo also. A friend has a 25/06 that will group 5 Core Lokt under 1/2 inch at 100yds. My 223 will do 1.1 5 shot groups at 150-200yds. Another friend has the bull barrel laminated 30/06 and he took a 40lb coyote at just under 400yds with a Winchester power point. it is nice to know you don't have to spend a bunch of money to get a nice product!
    Also don't forget the Remington Model 770.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Richard's right. The NEF rifles do shoot good for the money and you can get extra barrels fitted. A friend has had a couple and they shot 1" to 1 1/4" groups with factory ammo.

If you're wanting a bolt gun, might check gunbroker.com

You can find some great deals on used guns and even new. I just got a new in the box Ruger Hawkeye 7mm mag for almost 200.00 cheaperthan regular price. I got an 850.00 Sig P229 for 625.00. The ruger M77s in 30-06 I've seen go for as little as 325.00. Shipping on the rifles is usually around 25.00 and it has to be shipped to your FFL holder.

If you shop around on there, and you're patient, you can find some really great deals. I'm sure the prices of the hunting rifles will be starting to go up pretty soon as the fish stop bitting and people start getting that hunting bug bitting them on the ear.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i still shoot my 10 year old weatherby vanguard in .30-06. several deer and hogs have fallen to it. if i do my job, it will do its job, every time. make sure when you get one that you try a variety of different loads and bullet weights. mine shoots 165 grain sierra pro hunters very well.

14. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I think you hit the BIG nail on the head. Shoot every factor load that is within your price range and see what it likes. I have a 25/06 Sendaro that shoots about everything well but seem to HATE any Federal premium type of load. The cheap fedearl do as good as anything else. Also be leary of the Weatherby rifles Wal Mart sells. Wetherby grades every rifle they make as to how well it shoots. The rifles that did not make the grade or failed to function correctly used to get dis assembled and re built. Now they have a lower grade that they sell to discount outlets. These may shoot great with other ammo but would not shoot Weatherbys ammo to score a better grade.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hear this a lot but have never seen the proof. i used to manage the sporting goods department at wallyworld, and have heard this a lot. i got a hold of my sports south vendors, remington, and weatherby, and could not get this confirmed at all. all my vendors told me was that you have models like the plain jane savage 110, vanguard, old model 70, ruger 10/22 and marlin model 60, to name a few, that are basically just working man's meat guns. they have no bells and whistles, and are usually the entry model of a given type of rifle. you can order them with bells and whistles- stainless fluted, floating stock, match grade trigger, and all that, but the majority of their guns are just plain jane, and cheaper than the others. i hate wallyworld because i have seen it from the inside and what it stands for, and i will not work for that type of a company. it's bad that i would be way more comfortable working at a maximum security prison. BUT i know for a fact you buy a basic model firearm at that store and get one somewhere else of the identical type, they will be the same, the price will just be different. go .30-06!

16. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Wetherby had NEVER made a stripped down version until Walmart. An "A" class shot a specific sized group or less. A "B" shot slightly outside of that group. The information I recieved was from Weatherby at a sportsmans Expo. I was looking at a rifle they had there that had a beautiful stock and checkering. A person came up and asked how spending the extra money from a "dealer" was better than buying one at Wal Mart and that is when the Weatherby person there explained it to him about the grading process and which guns went where.

17. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Find one and shoot it alot. I love used guns because they have a history. New, I spotted a Rem 700sps at academy for 479.00, saw a rem 700 at a pawn shop for 275, next pay day i will probably own it. Think about it long and hard before you buy a cheap gun, some guns are low priced and some are just cheap. I know all firearms companies have an oops every now and then but some seem to have more than others.

18. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    [​IMG]Introduced in 1970, the Vanguard® action first served as an economical alternative to the Mark V®. Over the years however, the Vanguard has continued to gain in popularity among all hunters, who can simply no longer ignore the exceptional combination of value, wide range of features and guaranteed accuracy. Based on a two-lug design, the Vanguard offers many of the same design elements and superior materials as the Mark V. The result is a highly accurate and dependable rifle that delivers year after year. With models starting at just a few hundred dollars, Vanguard is perhaps the finest rifle value on the market today. And, it is the only production rifle that comes with a factory-shot target as your assurance of guaranteed accuracy.

[​IMG]Vanguard® Synthetic

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® Stainless

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® Youth/Compact

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® Deluxe

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® Sporter

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® Sporter SS

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® Varmint Special

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® SUB-MOA Matte

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® SUB-MOA Stainless

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® SUB-MOA Varmint

> more information
    > enlarge view
    [​IMG]Vanguard® Synthetic Package

> Vanguard Performance
    > Vanguard Competitive Advantage
    > Vanguard Advantage
    > Select Rifle Caliber
    > Weatherby Delta
    > Upgrade/Customize Your Vanguard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Weatherby, Inc.
    1605 Commerce Way
    Paso Robles, CA 93446
    805-227-2600
    805-237-0427 Fax

19. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

:eek:oooh:
    Mine was bought at wally world and I had it free floated, bedded, match put together, trigger adjusted 3.2 lbs. Is is a tack driver. Its a fine weapon.

You dont have to buy a mkV to to get a good one!

any way good luck!

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive been looking at Remington model 798 in .270 can get one with scope for $500.00, any input to this gun?