Shopping at 3 A.M. on Black Friday

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfishboy1995, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    How many people stand in lines from like 3 A.M. on Black Friday forr hours to get one thing...and what would compell you to stand in line if you dont normally??i know some people are crazy!!!:big_smile::smile2::smile2:

2. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    i dont even shop on black fridays....you dont get anything discounts, its just cheaper made products they sell for less. Its stupid, i would rather spend that extra hundred or so dollars to get the real thing they actually make replacement parts for. :smile2::smile2:

3. I don't understand how people do that. I can't even stand going to the gas station. It's a tradition thing I guess. A few simple clicks of the mouse do me fine for holiday shopping, and the prices are just as good online.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Im with ya jon my family always shop online escpessilly for my stuff..im like the only one in my fallimy that fishes!!!no one else does so ii email them my bass pro and cabelas wish list and they order like that...

5. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    There's two lines I'm going to wait in;
    1. Boat Ramp, If I don't drive a few extra miles to avoid it.
    2. Bathroom, If there's not a tree available.

6. Nice.:roll_eyes:

7. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I used to leaf through the black Friday sales fliers with no intention of trying to wait in line for those deals and it just made me mad. I think its a huge scam they are pulling on the public, offering 2 items per store of something that they've advertised to millions of households. Those prices aren't even real, because there is no way in the world that you could get that item for that price, and the store knows it. People in Grand Rapids were lining up at 9pm on Wednesday at the Best Buy stores; they just wasted their whole holiday to save a few bucks on a bunch of "derivatives".

I found this article this year which explains the scam perfectly. I wish people would stop being suckers and make black Friday an "in-the-red" Friday that loses the stores that are participating in this scheme the money to print the false advertising and costs them rather than making them money to keep their doors open on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I won't be participating ever.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/108212/dirty-secrets-of-black-friday-doorbusters

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never done it yet,and dont intend to. I remember back in the late 60's there were after Christmas sales,man that was some good sales.

9. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    NO unless it is for fishing

10. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, that's the way to do it Richard, shop a year in advance!! That's what I try to tell everybody.

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Mrs. and it ain't exactly compel... more like a command...:smile2:

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I know plenty of people who do, get up at 2:30, or earlier, but I don't want to fight the crowds, fight for parking, and hope I can get something but they are probably out of it by then. I was gonna go buy some ammo but they had limited amounts. Not worth it, I'm not fightin over anything. I might do something after Christmas, but prior, no way.

I ain't gonna fight crowds and rude people. I worked on Friday, and heard about the problems of crowds of shoppers and how they act on the radio.

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm still trying to figure out what would be worth lining up so early to buy in the first place.

How many PlayStations can a family afford?

How many flat-screen TVs do they need?

I haven't seen all that much innovation out there this year to get excited about, anyway!

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i did last year//never again

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    As I said in another thread, I went out Friday afternoon with the wife thinking maybe we could find some of the things we've been wanting. I'm usually a careful shopper, having a marketing backround, I'm familiar with marketing scams. There are a few items I've been wanting like some new camo, a rifle scope, a spotting scope, a new DVD player for the bedroom, etc. I have been checking prices for these items for months and writing them down.
    It became obvious with the first store we went to that the prices had been raised, and then put "on sale" for more than the same items sold for 2 months ago. The same scope I had looked at for $119 was now "on sale" for $149.99. Everything we looked at was actually more expensive than it had been for several weeks before. Sure they had some junk at low prices to lure people in, but most of it was no deal at all. We spent three hours going from store to store and wound up going home empty handed. I sure wouldn't go out at 3AM for that.

16. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I was waiting for the Cyber Monday deals online and found out what flathead willie was saying was true there too. I've priced things out before hand and prices were up on things I wanted on Monday, not down. There were a few deals to be had, mostly free shipping on a larger order, but Amazon already has that regularly and is competetive with the pricing. Some specialty sporting goods equipment isn't at Amazon though and you must shop around. It seems like at Christmas the idea is to mark things up, then run a sale and make people "think" they are getting a deal.