Shoot'n day

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by samh, Oct 26, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    My son and SIL, a couple of friends and I spent most of the day shoot'n today. We went to the new gas pipeline and had targets set up at 25, 100 and 200 yards, also did a little shoot'n at 300 and 500 yards. Shot .243s 25/06, 270s, 30-30, 30/06s, 357mag and 7.7 jap rifles. Everyone got the guns zeroed in good and did good.

A 100 yard group from a Marlin 357 Mag at 100 yards, not the best of the day,but good shoot'n from that little carbine.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x270/sam3006/?action=view&current=DSCN0166.jpg

Some of what we shot

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x270/sam3006/?action=view&current=DSCN0168.jpg

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Looks like a day well spent Sam. Wish I could of watched. What kind of scope ya got on that carbine?

3. Zing

Zing New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice shooting with the 357, is that a red dot on that marlin?

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice group with the 357,and nice arsenal

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    that's a Tru-Glow (spelling ?) red dot scope on the Marlin 357mag. He really likes it, got on on his muzzleloader, too.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    which one was the ruger? And what kind of .270 you got?

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Left to right Ruger 270, Tikka 270, Marlin 357 Mag. Tikka 25/06, Ruger 30/06 (I bought new in 1975) and the Browning on the very right is a BAR 30/06

We also had an H&R .243, an old WWII 7.7 jap., and 2 Remington 700s in 30/06, was supposed to help a buddy with a new Browning Gold Medallion A-Bolt in 325 WSM, but he got tied up and didn't make it. My shoulder probably thanks him.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    sweet nice rifles you got there.but i do have one problem.You went to a GAS PIPLINE TO SHOOT?am i missing something here or am i the only one to pick up on that little bit of info?Or am i just stupid and know nothing about gas piplines which i i admit i dont?:big_smile:

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    The big fellow with horns seem pretty teed off,:eek:oooh: Nice buck.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    #1 Quote. I was extremely surprised by this question from you because of ("Well I used to shoot all kinds in competition"), ("nothing wrong with 30-06 used them for sniper rounds for years")("Any as you can tell i not only shot in comp i was also a coach and instructor in marksmanship").

This particular Ruger stock is one of,if not the most "Stand out" stock made by any center fire Rifle manufacturer in the last hundred years as a commercial assembly line stock.It is also the most common odd looking stock that I know of along with the sling mounts to be found anywhere in the country.It has been around for many years.People familiar with firearms the world over identify this stock as "Ruger".How could you possibly not notice it was a Ruger with your experience?

I guess this hit me hard and stood out as I know of kids with a single digit age who have identified this model and stock by saying "Thats a Ruger"!Weird that you missed all of them for all of this time.

#2 quote.We have a pipe line in Georgia that I have shot on and over for 50 years.One end is in Savannah Georgia.It has a sign that reads"My other end is in Texas".I know that the pipe is buried several feet underground as I watched them install it through my Grandfathers Farm and Cane Patch.It does come to the surface where needed,but this is often very many miles apart.They are kept cleared for emergency excess like our power lines.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Gas pipe line right of way, yes, nice straight line, good backstop and the gas pipe line is 4 feet under ground.

12. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    A friend got one of them Marlin 357s in 1984.I worked up a hot handload for it(I told him don't ever let any one shoot them in a handgun) and I don't load 357 any more but he has someone else load them for him and he still kills deer with it.