Shooting stars

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JAinSC, Jul 24, 2006.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I started wondering why I like seeing shooting stars so much. After all, it's just a super quick little streak of light. What's so cool about that.

Best I can tell, I think that it's because most people never see them. They are parked in fron of their TV sets, or sleeping in their beds. Only those of us that get out there and spend the time on the river in the dark and kick back to watch the stars get that treat. I guess that makes me feel a little bit special.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I seen one last night for the first time in probably 5 years. Weird you bring this up, was about 11pm driving down 270.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Nice hat Matt, and ur supposed to be watching the road not the stars.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tea I can't hold back any longer!!!:eek:oooh: How did you get a spinach souffle on top of your head.Did it burn?I know you change avatars often and it might Hmmmmmmm uh you know kinda like well about time.:lol: :cool2: :wink: :smile2: :tounge_out: At first I though you were attacked by a rabid cool whip wielder,then on closer examination it looked like it had some kind of definitive form.Then I thought no he is suffering from food deprevation and isn't aware of whats happening to him.:lol: :smile2:

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I really enjoy seein' 'em too. I got one nightfishn', hole that they're kinda frequent on a clear night. It's pretty cool sittin' down by the water's edge with the only light being that of a campfire. Almost makes me wish I was there right now. Nice post, buddy.

-Red

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    I have seen about 5-6 shooting stars in the past month or so...

i always love seeing them ... its pretty cool

and as always gotta make a wish :)

yeah i usually see them when i am fishing at night... ALWAYS A GREAT TIME

Jeff

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Lol...

The most prevalent meteor showers occur at 11 times during the year. They coorespond with the earth moving through various dust clouds in space as the planet whips around the sun, and are usually named for the place in the sky from which they originate.

the one you are seeing are likely the early remnants of the july 25th through 30th Delta Aquarids meteor shower. It peaks actually at about 20 per hour if you had an open view of the entire east-to-west horizon of the sky- unhindered by city lights, trees, mountains, smog, clouds, etc.

The biggest of the year is gearing up to be a good one. The Perseid shower falls between the 5th and 12th of august, peaking at about 50 per hour. its related to the swift-tuttle comet. That whole week if the weather is clear, the wife and I put a blanket out in the yard and just stare at the sky till we cant stay awake any longer. Incidentally remember Heaven's Gate? That group that committed mass suicide about 10 years ago following their leader "The Reverend Applewhite", killing themselves in purple robes with white Nike shoes on? Yep- they were worshippers of that comet. They thought God was coming to get them. So enjoy the meteor shower but dont um... drink the Kool-aid. LOL

Enjoy it! Youre looking at history when you see it. Something exploded years and years ago and floated around in space following some comet for possibly millions of years before they get caught in earth's gravitational pull and are swallowed by the heat of entry into our atmosphere. What youre witnessing is the total consumption and death of a very old cosmic traveller. Dont just glance and pass it off. Millions of years went into the fireworks you see in that little flash of a moment.

You're likely seeing pea-sized bits of rock. From well over 150 miles away. Tell that to your eye doctor next time he says you need a new prescription!

Ok.... Ive done my nerdy-deed for the day. Consider yourself a bit better educated. :roll_eyes:

Sal

8. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Yup, I love seeing them too.
    I always feel like it's God's little way of letting me know He's there.
    _

9. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Thanks Sal, THIS nerd enjoyed reading that post!
    _

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I found the other schedules. I usually only follow these two, and maybe pop out for the leonid shower in November if it isnt too cold.

the other showers are:

Quadrantids -- January 1-4 /Unknown / 40 per hour
    Pi Puppids -- April 3-7 /Unknkown /40 per hour
    Lyrids -- April 20-2 /Comet Thatcher / 15 per hour
    Eta Aquarids -- May 2-7 /Comet Halley / 20 per hour
    Delta Aquarids -- July 25-30 / Unknown / 20 per hour
    Perseids -- August 5-12 / Comet Swift-Tuttle /50 per hour
    Orionids -- October 20-2 / Comet Halley / 25 per hour
    Taurids -- November 1-3 / Comet Encke / 15 per hour
    Leonids -- November 17-20 / Comet Temple-Tuttle /15 per hour
    Geminids -- December 12-15 / Asteroid 3200 Phaethon / 50 per hour
    Ursids -- December 20-24 / Comet Tuttle /20 per hour

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was out fishing one night early last November, and after midnight I saw some tremendous ones. These were the kind that blaze right across the sky and leave a trail. I really like those, although they are kind of spooky all alone on the river late at night...

By the way, that was a great night for flatheads, too. Water was cooling in the lower 60's and the fish had ove into the deep holes. Still hitting the live baits, though... Got 9 that night, including one of 41 pounds.

12. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I love watchin them, it's almost like magic, lol (as cheesy as it sounds)
    I see em mostly when I go out campin

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I hear that brotha! Nights spent out on lakes or rivers are somethng most "normal" people never get to experience. The lightening bugs, satillites and shooting stars can make a night pass real quick even if the fish arent biting!:big_smile:

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Watching the stars reminds me....
    I got to see plenty falling stars when I was a kid. For in the summer we moved our beds outside for it was too hot to sleep in the house. Laying on your back gives a great view. :wink:

15. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Falling stars is something i hold dear to me. It is a huge reason i am out there on the bank in the middle of the night. I can't see them in the city. Fishing is sometimes just an excuse to relax and enjoy some peace.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, they are humbleing. Lets me know that my problems are pretty small in the grand sceme of things.

17. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I love shooting stars, I think its cause they're all unique..when I was in Iraq, and we had NVGs (night vision) you could see just about every single star in the sky perfectley. It was amazing, cause there was no other light pollution around, pretty cool. If you guys ever get a chance to look at the stars threw NVGs take advantage! you won't regret it.

18. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well Sal-Jr, you beat me to posting that list! :wink: and I'd like to expand a bit on what Flathead Willie said too.
    Here's a bit of food for thought as it were.
    It seems like anymore we are so caught up in the "hurry-hurry-hurry world" that we sometimes, heck many times! forget the grand scheme of things.
    When you go outside at night on a clear night, and I can remember a time when there was NO light pollution where I lived nor any commercial plane traffic to mess up the view either, and you take in everything you see from horizon to horizon it makes you realize how SMALL and insignificant you, and your problems really are and for that fact, just how small and insignificant our planet is in the grand scheme of things!!!
    It can be a bit humbling, perhaps for some, and certainly for our distant ancestors, a religious experience and more!!
    Now, the human race is building a "Space Station" up there and when it's completed, we should be able to see it from the ground on the proper nights.
    But for all of our technology, and even if someday we do succeed in creating an Interstellar Engine; "Warp Drive" we will still be less than a "drop of water" in the time and space of the universe!
    However, in all that vastness that we can see, and that which is beyond our naked vision, or even the vision with current telescope technology, and in all the universe; with it's millions upon millions of Galaxy's and all of the possible billions of planets that might support life as we know it, and in all that vastness and more ... there is still only one "Coyote1 and Raven", "Flathead Willie", "Sal-Jr", ect, ect, ect, ... ad infinitum.
    Now you understand why all of these self serving politicians are so STUPID and so Infantile!
    They are not as intelligent, not as wise, certainly not as humble, as the child that looks to the night sky and is awed, nor the Catfisher whom looks upon the Heavens in the night sky and is humbled, but still remembers to take a moment to thank "The Powers That Be"; for the privilege of being alive at that very moment, and more, to view and enjoy the greatest masterpiece even known to man!
    Each Night; I give "Thanks" for having found, and knowing, a great group of fellow human beings, that still have the capacity to to look up at the night sky with the wonderment and joy of the small child; that is still in each of us, and is unafraid to share those moments and feelings with their like-minded Brothers and Sisters! May I continue to have those feelings, share such moments, know such people ... until the day, or night, that I am called, by My CREATOR; to leave this corporeal body behind to become the ashes and Cosmic Dust that it came from ...
    It is as profound as that, ... it is as SIMPLE as that ...
    "That is all I have to say". :smile2:
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

19. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Coyote... :cool2:
    You just made a post that ought to be "sticky". That was worded perfectly.

We are just tiny specks upon the specks upon the dust of the universe. And yet we build our understanding to believe that we have problems that are big.

Thanks for the kudos... thanks for clarifying... and thank you for making the whole thread come together in the way you just did. Reps for you for sure, sir! You have a lot of respect from this insignificant guy.

Sal

20. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I like the wonder of the unknown .
    Brian