Shooting/Hunting in the Rain

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by puddle jumper, Oct 28, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    OK you guys that are the shooting buffs,

I was hunting this evening in the rain and it got me wondering like you do when nothings moving at all :eek:oooh: anyways what effect will the rain have on bullet trjectory "acuracy" and balistics " speed"
    I can see several posabilitys
    cause the bullet to tumble,,,hit low,,,or no affect at all,, but have no clue whats right,,
    Help guys,,
    Thanks
    Puddle

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i been out hunting in the rain alot over 35 years and never really noticed any problems....if there are any i would think they are small...i shoot either a 308 or at times the trusty 30/30 with shots of 50- 75 yards.....i would think shots out farther than 100 the rain might have an effect

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have done a lot of rifle hunting in the rain, and have never seen any adverse effects on bullet performance. i have shot out to 200 yards on deer and pigs with no problem other than the wind. water, fog, and ice on the scope lens are the big deal for me in the rain.

4. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Same here, I never seen a performance difference my shoots are 100 yards or closer also. I do see alot of deer in a light rain, but you never hear them they can slip right by you.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love hunting in the rain. Three of my biggest bucks were killed in the rain. I've read that the average shot distance in the Eastern US is 65 yards for deer hunters. I don't think rain has much, if any, effect on a bullet at that distance.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i think hunting in the rain is awesome. animals seem to be active more, and you can stalk better cause the wet leaves are silent and the rain creates background noise. never noticed my rifle being affected other than the rust deposits,in the nooks and crannys.

7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Any affect the rain will have on a bullet's path will be negligible for 99.9% of the shots taken on deer. If you were shooting several hundred yards in pouring rain it might be different. If you think about it, rain drops don't take up too much of the air space, and a bullet is very small. While you may get soaked walking the distance to where a deer is at, your bullet may only hit a few drops over that distance. Plus the bullet weighs a lot more than an individual rain drop.

The affect on the bullet from the rust you let form on the inside of your barrel after the rain is a totally different story though, so keep all the water out of your barrel.