Shooting from a tree stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Katfish Kern, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have never shot from a tree stand. I have several buddies that are telling me that I will need to compensate while in the stand because the angle is much different than shooting from the ground. How much of a difference is there, and will I need to put different sights on?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    It is the same with shooting up hill or down hill (From a tree stand). You will shoot high. Depends on your bow set up on how high. This is because most people will judge yardage farther than it is. This will happen with range finders also unles you get one that allows for the angle of the shot. If you do not have one that does that. When you range objects range them straight from you not towards the ground. This will give you an accurate yardage and you can hold dead on when you shoot. Hope this helps. If you have any questions pm me and I will be happy to try and help with anything I can. Good luck.

Tom

3. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks Tom, I really appreciate it.

4. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Great advice! Take some foam and place it in a ditch( the deeper the better) and stoot at it and you will get the ideal. Mo.Hick is 100% right.

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    When shooting directly under your stand you don't use your close pin
    you use your far pin figger that out.

6. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use one of those pendulum sights that adjust from 0-30 yards. Sight it in for 20 yards and you just need to know that he's within 30 yards. This works great for hunting out of a tree stand. I wouldn't go back to the other fixed pin sights for nothing. Helps take the guess work out of yardage. You just hold dead on from 0 - 30 yards and shoot.

Some may say that you need to practice more so you are more accurate with yardage. I'd agree, however, my goal is to make a quick, clean, humane kill. That is what every hunter should be after. The pendulum sight helps me achieve this.

If you go to archery shoots, you might need to have the fixed pin sights. I'm not sure if the pendulum sights are allowed. I haven't been to a shoot in 15 years.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Pendulum sights are not allowed at 3-D shoots. They have to be fixed sights unless you shoot open class. Then you can have adustable sights but still no pendulum sights. Now for a shot at a deer right under your tree stand. I would not recomend that shot due to you could only catch part of one lung and the kill is not as quick and humain. Which all hunters should strive for. This post is in no way to put anyone down or to argue with anyone. This is just my opinion. Everyone has different ideas as what is a good shot or not. As long as people stay within the law I am ok with most things. We all should agree to disgree. This is where good advice can come from anyone.
    Tom

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Tom I agree 100% that straight under your stand is not a good shot. I will
    not take that shot and did not in no way mean to suggest taking that shot.
    The thread was how being elevated made such a change in distance and
    pin placement as i understood it. I just think it is so strange that at zero
    yards you use your 30 yd. pin. instead of 10 yd pin now this is with my old slow bow.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The best advice I can give someone using fixed pins on sights, shooting from a treestand, is to sight in from a elevated stand while practicing. I know most don't have this opportunity, but practicing from a elevated stand and sighting in, will give you the best accuracy possible for the hunt. Most hunters choose to have their stands at heights from 12-20 feet high. Practicing at this height at different yardages and sighting in your pins, will give you the best shot possible for the hunt.

Close shots 5 yards and in, you will have to use the 30-50 yd pins to be dead on for the target, because you have to allow for the arrow paradox or the way the arrow comes of the rest before it stabilizes for downrange. Sounds strange, but it's true.

Mark..

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's not much of a difference if you are using a newer bow. I forget the formula but it is a ridiculous angle before you start seeing a major shift in yardage. If you hunt from a normal hight tree stand you should be alright. By normal I mean around 20 feet. Then again how well are you at judging distance. :wink:

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ok here is the math.

A^2+B^2=C^2

20ft stand. ground distance, 30 yards (convert the 30 yards into feet)

20^2+90^2=8500
    square root of 8500 = 92.195 ft
    92.195 / 3 = 30.7 yards

Now you have all seen the range finder's that are "ARC". I'm using the picture in Cabelas Bushnell model.
    Guy sitting in tree has a line of sight picture that is 32 yards. True distance is labeled as 23 yards. That means he has to be sitting 66 feet in the air to get that much of a variation in distance.... Go figure the power of advertising.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I think Im just gonna hunt on the ground, this getting confusing. I just shoot from the trees Im gonna hunt from.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can explain this one. Imagine the trajectory of an arrow in relation to the sight path. The arrow starts out under the sight path, crosses it and rises above it and then drops back across it. Where it meets the second time is dead on aim. I've missed deer because of this when I was younger. If it's under 5 yards shoot high instead of low. The arrow has'nt crossed the sight plane yet.

14. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Geeeez, that seems so strange. Thanks for all the help.

15. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I suggests praticing from a tree stand if at all possible. Just to see where your arrows will hit from the stand. Alot of people just bend over and arch their back but if you keep your back straight and bend at the waist it will be just like shooting from the ground. Try out some different ways and suggestions and see what works best for you.

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    When I do use a treestand Im up at 12 feet, I aim 3" low from the spot I want to hit and it works for me. You have to practice from the height your going to hunt from. Dont rule out ground hunting either, thats my favorite way to do it.