Shooting Craps on the Meramec River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    New to catfishing but determined to catch a big one. I have been unsuccessfully fishing the Meramec south of the Flam city boat ramp toward the Mississippi river. Last weekend my brother and i stayed out till 3:00 A.M. with no success using shrimp and shiners. (Im sure we caught our limit of Gar if their is such a thing) I was fishing the point and was determined they had to turn on soon but never did.

I have a 15 foot jon boat with 20 horse merc. Just wondering since i have been reading everyone goes towards George Winter in Fenton. Can i get up that way from Flam City without a jet ( I have a prop with a shallow drive settings)

I have always bass fished but something about a river cat interest me.
    I also do Taxidermy work and would like to add a catfish to my wall.

Also has anyone fished Council Bluffs for cats, while i was bass fishing this spring i seen one in the shallows about 3 feet long. Im really wanting to try their very soon.

2. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You were in Gar and Flying carp heaven! Michael is the one you want to talk to about fishing up towards Winter park.. Ive never been quite up there before. Our jug fishing weekend just made it up about half way.

3. bck1006

bck1006 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I you are wanting to fish for catfish you should get off the Meramac. It is full of junk fish (gar and asian carp).I have fished it a TON and I have only caught small fish (5-8 lbs).I live in Sunset Hills and I fish the Missouri river it only take about 20 minutes to get there.Why don't you try out the Missouri river at Weldon Springs.Your boat would be fine,I run a 2001 1648 MV tracker Grizzley w/25 hp merc..You luck will improve alot and fast.The only problem right now is that the Missouri is a little high and flowing fast.If you want to talk and I can give you some tips on were to start PM me your number and I would be glad to help you out or maybe take you out and catch some fish.Thanks and I hope that helps

Brian

4. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Hey Brian, that would be great but i cant send a PM yet. It says i have to have 10 posts first.Give me a call at 314-477-2602

5. bigryan09

bigryan09 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I highly doubt you will make it to George winter from Flam. Only when the waters up. I fish the around George Winter (just up from the 30 bridge) about once a week. Done real good the last two years. We have caught many cats ranging from 1-37 pounds. Mostly blues though. We put in at the meramec marina just up from george winter (accessible all night, winter closes at dark). Good luck

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah when the river was up a couple weeks ago you could make the run from George Winter all the way down to the Mississippi. But, this last weekend I put in at GW and just barely made it into the river at all (found a sand bar that did a number on my prop) When you go down just a bit you'll come to a place where it gets real shallow and after finding the first sand bar just under the water I wasn't trying it again. As for fishing the river when I was on it a few weeks ago I seen a guy pull a nice Flathead out by one of the pilons of the Jeffco Blvd. bridge (about 15-20lbs. I'd guess) Anyway good luck and be careful anywhere on that river you can tear up a prop quick.