Shooters %$#@*

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 27, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can sympathize with the BOC brother that recently posted about all the shots in the woods. Yesterday, Thanksgiving, was only the second time I've been able to hunt this gun season. I got one at first light, a deformed 4 pointer ( I thought it was a doe when I shot it), that will go into my bass player's freezer, and watched several more. In the afternoon I went to a blind I have at the edge of a hay filed with planted pines behind me.

I got into the blind at 1pm. At 3pm a doe came out and started feeding in the field. Another one came out at 3:30. I thought, "Good, they are coming out early. I'll use them for decoys and wait for a good buck." At 3:45, the land owner came out and rounded up his cows with an ATV. The deer just stood still in the corner of the field and watched him.

As soon as he left, the guys on the other side of the field, on the next property, started shooting pistols 300 yards from my blind. It sounded like two 9mm and a .44 mag. When the first shot went off, the deer I was watching hauled butt out of the field and ran into the wood next to my blind. As I watched them, I saw a big deer that had been standing behind me join them and run back up into the thicket. This field is normally full of deer by sundown. Those guys must have fired at least 200 shots between 4pm and 5:20pm. Not a single deer came to the field after they started shooting! My whole afternoon was wasted!!

Saturday is the last day of gun season here. I may or may not get to hunt. I sure hope they have run out of bullets by then!! :angry:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Idiots seem to run rampant at certain times of the year. Hope you get out Saturday and nail a BIG ONE!!

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    That pistol shooting must have been something out of the ordinary.
    Were I hunt we are on the river and have a big slough on our property
    the first few days of duck season the deer flee in terror at all the shooting.
    After the first week they get used to it. I have been in a tree stand watching
    deer feed and someone shoot what sounds like a 31/2" mag so close I
    would flinch and the deer would keep feeding and never even raise their
    head.LOL

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    This is one reason why I prefer to hunt with the bow. Don't have to put up with the bullets flying around and it's more piece and quiet!! Less dangerous too!! To many stinking idiots out there shooting like idiots!!:angry:

5. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I understand Billie; Every year during the prime week of rut, my neighbor and his nephews spend the week cutting fire wood then they shoot the country side up the first day of gun. Real nice to enjoy the property that you own. :angry:

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    There usually isn't much shooting going on here during the season, other than the occasional shot when someone is taking a deer or turkey. From 6:30am, when the sun came up, to noon, I heard 9 or 10 shots, including mine. Most were a long, long distance away, up in the National Forest. These guys must have gotten a new gun. In one burst I heard 26 shots, one after the other. I guess it was two 9MMs with 13 shot magazines. Then there was the unmistakable sound of a .44 mag six shooter. They'd pop off six rounds, shoot a magazine full of 9MM while the magnum reloaded and then empty that one again. They were so close, I could hear them talking, laughing, and coughing.

7. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Deer season seems to bring the idiots out around here too, this is especially true around Thanksgiving week. I just laugh and go on about my business because we usually have our meat by then anyway. It is still aggravating none the less. I give ya another for instance for us; where we hunt there has been some logging going on back in October and there had been no activity since at least the first of November. Well guess when they decided to start logging again? Thanksgiving morning. It makes no sense what's so every, but hey whatever right.

8. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know what you mean, idoits with guns are not a good combo. Some people just don't think about what they are doing, and how they mess everything up. Just today I was out bow hunting on private land, and some guy came out of no where with a muzzleloader, (there is no muzzleloader season right now in Iowa) and messed up the whole hunt for me. There is a big one in there and I'm sure that what he was after. He saw me and left, but still walked right through the woods scaring everything out I'm sure. It took everything I had not to put an arrow in his butt:angry:

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I can relate to that. I quit bowhunting this farm because the land owners brother used to come there from the city at the start of bow season and all through muzzle loader season riding an ATV all over the mountain with a .270 trying to kill a "wall hanger" he said, but only wound up shooting every small buck he came across....and then letting them lay there! I wasted several tags checking in deer he left laying. I dropped a dime on him and stopped that, now it's the neighbors! Sometimes you just can't win!

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They seem to be every where. Ya know its deer season but ya gota go rip a bunch of ammo off 1/2 before dark every night --come on. We got a farm near my rifle hunting spot leased out to a bunch of Great White hunters from St. Louis who seem to do stupid stuff like that. Thank God for the peace and silence of Doe and muzzle loader season.

11. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Sad storys all. I hate idiots. Sometimes it seems we are surrounded by them...

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  13. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Most people are unaware of thier impact on other people. :embarassed:its' all a part of hunting. I know i have screwed up other hunters , and it has happened to me.:wink:

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I can't really say much even if I wanted too. Last year I was bowhunting the same general area and stuck a doe just before dark. It made a bee line right for the fence and crossed on to his property. After dark, I left my bow at the foot of the tree and went looking for the deer. He saw my light and came driving an ATV down, with a shotgun, to see who was on his land. That was the first time we'd met. When I told him what had happened he was real nice, and spent 1/2 hour helping me find my deer. Can't bitch about that! I'm sure if he had known I was hunting 300 yards away, he would have been more considerate. However, that is still one of the excuses they give us as to why we can't hunt on Sunday. according to the state, "Sunday is reserved for people to take part in other activities in the woods, besides hunting." LIKE TARGET PRACTICE!!!:confused2:

15. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Do you think that they were trying to scare "thier" deer away from you? Just something to think about. Alot of pricks do that around here

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    God forbid we start condemning someone for exercising their 2nd ammendment rights.

Actually had a hunter hunting on our land ask if we would hold off pumping lagoons while he hunted.
    This is a working farm bub. Don't like it, hunt somewhere else.
    I imagine once he got in his tree and thought about it he felt like a fool.
    Good fella and a long time hunter here. He just wasn't thinking.

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    No. I guess we're hunting the same deer. The guy has a blind set up 30 feet from the fence line. I've been hunting here for years, but stopped using one of my favorite stands because his blind was too close to it. I used to live on the same farm, but no body lived on the next property then. The guy put a trailer there a few years ago. It sounded like a friend came by with a new gun and they were just playing with them. As soon as the shooting stopped, a man and a woman got in the car and left. By that time it was getting dark and I was already packed up and leaving for the 1 hour drive back home.

18. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:YOU CAN'T HUNT ON SUNDAY!!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

19. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    No we can't, thanks to the antique Christian "Blue Laws". When I was a teen in Northern Va. we couldn't even buy pet food on Sunday, or soap, or go to a movie. You couldn't buy anything that was not for HUMAN consumption. No Sunday Hunting is the one part of those laws that was never changed. It sucks!!! Because of that, those in the western part of the state that work 9 to 5 are lucky to get 3 Saturdays to hunt with a gun, unless you schedule your vacation during hunting season, (and not take the family to the beach during the summer), and that is one more than we've had for several years. The season used to start on Monday and go for 2 weeks, ending on a Saturday, until a 3 or 4 years ago. Now it starts on the Saturday before that Monday, so working people get one extra day. The sad part is, you can go out to the woods and shoot up all the bullets you want, until you run out of ammo. You just can't shoot them at game!!

It's kind of like this states stupid firecracker law. We can't have any fireworks "that have a report", (blow up), because they are too dangerous, so instead everyone goes out on New Years and the 4th of July and shoots bullets into the air, the trees, the ground, whatever!! That makes sense, right????:confused2::sad2::angry:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  20. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is what I mean. I am wondering if they see when you go to your stand and try everything to screw your hunting up.