Shoot Or Not You Make The Call

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by SSG Johnson, Dec 6, 2005.

Do you shoot or do you wait.

1. Shoot

2. Wait

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Just an Idea for something fun to do and maybe learn something while we are at it. Take a real situation that happened to you and tell what happened and let everyone deiced where or not they would have taken the shoot and why.

Ok last day of Muzzleloader season and you havent really killed anything that you where looking for nomatter what it was.

There is a food ploot that runs North and south freshly plowed about 500 yards from a main road. Deer tracks everywhere and I mean big ones.

You start to walk the food plot heading south with the wind coming out of the west. About 5-6 MPH.

After you get about 100 yards down the food plot as doe a big one jumps from a thicket 10 yards from you up wind and stops at 20 yards. You have some brush a briar patch really in front of you its not real thick you can see the doe clearly but the stems are about 1/8 in Diameter.
    Your shooting a muzzleloader 50 cal and you have it driving tacks at 50 yrds.

SHoot or hold the shot.
    Please put your reason to shoot or not to shot. Feel free to asked questions.

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i presonally would wait her out if she bust u and huals @$$ big deal but it in mho it is better to let her walk and get bigger than take that shot and it deflects off one of those briar stems and wound her letting her suffer and die with out you finding her .

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Shoot. If the briar patch is as thin as it sounds. 20yards with a 250gr load is a chip shot.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Well I take it your walking south away from the road? If so she if definetly in range , the question is there a large enough opening in the brush to hit the vitals without risk of hitting the brush. If the opening in the brush is not there I would hold and wait for a clear shot.

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I wait. I have passed up many animals due to makable, but not optimal shots and this would be no exception. Wait till she comes out and take her down, if she spooks with the tracks you are seeing there will probably be another one to come by eventually.

-Brian

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Chuck if they just plowed the field whats that dang brush doin there anyway LOL.

7. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Its on the right hand side to the west of you just inside the wood line. Let me add to the scenerio.......

You have seen a Buck in the area for the last two nights as well from the truck driving out. He looked to be about 130-140 class deer. Up near the road 500 yrds from you, just at dark. Both times he was by himself and headed north. This food plot as well is about 1/4 mile long and about as wide as a city street.

8. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I'd wait to try and see if she was hauling in the good buck behind her. If it didnt happen very fast, and like crazy said, if it was that thin, aint much that thin gonna stop a 250gr bullet from 60 feet. She'd be down.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    If I can see it clearly it's not too thick to shoot in my opinion. On my place you described most of my shots at deer. Thick undergrowth in most places. I've taken many shots like that and haven't wounded a deer yet because of the brush. Even from my treestand it's so thick where the majority of the deer come from that I have to make that decision most of the time I see a deer. At twenty yards it would take a heck of a deflection to make a real bad miss. Doe now(sure thing) or Buck later(toss of the dice)? Doe everytime!! Meat in the freezer, we have unlimited doe tags here. LOL Well, 3 a day anyway. Buck's are a different story, 3 a year for those.

10. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    clear shot id take it and eat my buck tag.........thats 1 less doe off my property and another year to let the buck i didnt shoot get bigger lol

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If everyone was smart they would not vote tell they knew the whole story! Do I have a doe tag to burn or just an any deer tag in my pocket? Is there another doe season after the smoke pole season? Is the doe looking nervus, or is she looking over her shoulder at something? I guess this is a never ending story in away. I would still shoot it. Horns don't mean nothing to me.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I wouldnt shoot. Briars are briars, Im not a brush shooter. If I can see the briars im not shooting. Ive lost enough deer by hitting limbs i didnt see. I dont need to shoot through brush I can see. JMHO

13. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    given the scenario posted of course i'd harvest the doe. that is indeed a "chip" shot. with 440 yards of food plot to stare down armed with a muzzleloader, take the chip shot and be home in time for supper.

14. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i'd shoot cause if i clearly see her then the brush ain't to thick for a 50 cal. sabot at 20 yards and a 1/8 briar twig isn't gonna deflect that much...
    now let me ask you are does legal in your nick of the woods during smoke pole season???????

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Where I hunt your allowed 1 buck and as many does as you want. Unlimited doe tags if you want to keep buying them.

I had a situation something like that early in rifle season minus the food plots. Was walking down a path and spotted a doe. I laid down under the brush, everything looked open and I took the shot. Looked open but I guess it wasnt. Noticed later that week where I had hit a limb of thorns that I thought I was under. Never did find the deer or blood, hopefully it was a clean miss. Took a doe a couple days later that dropped her where she stood. Nice open shot where I had cleared earlier in the year. I could understand why the shot would be taken or not taken. I notice my hunting methods and shot selection change with more experience and different situations that I find myself in.

16. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    OK yes it is legal to take Doe's or Bucks during the smoke pole season. However I did not shot even through it was a chip shot but wondered why the doe didn't blow just trotted off. I thought maybe that big boy I had been seeing was around maybe he was in the same thicket. I looked the thicket over as best I could but didn't see any antlers sticking. Up so I moved on down the food plot heading south. When I got to the end I turned around and headed back to the begging of the food plot. I noticed a big oak tree about 50 yards from the same thicket the doe came out of and thought I will still hunt there for the rest of the evening and maybe the doe will come back and I would get a shot at her. When I was about 10 yards from the big oak a huge Buck stood up in the thicket and jumped into the middle of the food plot he was about 50-60 yards and took off like he was on fire running away from me. I raised the riffle and could see the back side of the deer clearly at this point he was about 75 yards still going the other way. Do you shoot or not what would you do and why. I would estimate a 150-170 class buck big big buck.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Whistler , same here. You got to learn to shoot through holly trees if you want to kill deer. Nothing wrong with a few splinters in the meat. makes for a ready toothpick.

Just like when someone asks me what my cut off is as far as distance in shooting deer. My reply is always the same. If I can see it, I can shoot at it.
    I dont have a coupla thousand in a rifle and a 24 power scope for looks.
    Those piles of brass out in the lowgrounds arent from plinking cans at 100 meters either.

The reasoning you ask?
    Well, I've bird hunted the majority of my life.
    Take a dove. Flying erratically at 55 MPH I'm thundering some shells off.
    Best case I drop the bird right at my feet and a few times caught birds in my hand or by holding my bird vest open.
    Worst case is a puff of feathers and a winged bird sitting in a tree somewhere waiting for a slow death.
    Let me tell you, I've winged my fair share of birds and the only differences between a bird or deer is the size of the animal and one grows horns that seem to drive some folks nuts.

Shoot the deer. There is nothing to discuss if you dont pull the trigger, might as well have stayed home and read buckmasters sitting on the porcelain throne.

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Personally, on the big Buck, I wouldn't take the shot, I would come back to the area later and try and get him. If I am gonna take a shot at a nice buck, it's going to be when I can get a clean 1 shot, 1 kill.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tony, There is nice one on the farm that is brazen. He has been shot at 3 times in the last 2 weeks and all were misses. These guys arent good at 225 yard standing shots but they'll never get him if they dont atleast try.
    I say one of these youngins will pick him off in the next few weeks by trying.

I have been guilty as many have in letting nice deer grow old and die because I was trying to be too picky. Just SHOOT!

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    TDawgNOk, You missed it man. There is no coming back tomorrow it's the last day!.. That said damn skippy I'm pulling the trigger, buck or doe I would still shoot. I can't count all the deer I shot running away from me. If I can see it and think I can hit it I'm pulling the trigger.