Shoe Racks

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Patmansc, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Well, there hasn't been much activity here for a while, so I thought that I would post something :smile2: My wife & I recently moved into a new home, and the floor of our closet has been covered with her shoes & shoe boxes. So I thought that I would take a shot a making some shoe racks. Copied a design from a fashionable hi-end catalog ($59 for one mahogony (stackable) shoe rack that holds 5 pairs of shoes). I got some tongue & groove cedar, and after a couple of hours came up with a reasonable facsimile - also stackable. However, the rack is not high enough to accomodate mid-calf boots. So I now have an idea that incorporates a regular cedar board with a higher width, and a router. As soon as it cools of in my shop I will make another run at it, and will post pics with the final results. Oh! The cost of materials for the racks already made are about $5 each, unfinished. However, I have no intentions of adding any finish to the great-smelling cedar!

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Dang Pat...I find something new on the BOC everyday. Congrats on the shoeracks. My recent projects include a large DVD wall cabnet and a Entertainment center that encases a 57" TV. If anyone is interested, I can post pics.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    David - let's see some pics! There's some pretty skilled sawdust-makers here (not me yet - but maybe some day) who would definitely like to see your work!

4. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    David I would like to see pics of that tv cabinet I need to build one for a 61" tv and I am dreading it. I use to work as a trim carpender and would take scap wood and make furinture but the wood was cheap then it was free I am still debaiting whether it would be cheaper to buy it or make it. I now mainly stick to birdhouses and bird feeders oh and remodleing my house.
    Stephen