Shockwave broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by derbycitycatman, Dec 27, 2005.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anybody used these before, theyre from new archery products. These are the first mechanical broadheads ive bought or tried. Any tips or hints.
    I just picked them up for 2.50 marked down from 21.76.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OH MY GOSH! What a steal. I use them & sware by them. Man, do they have any left? If they do I will give you catfish equipment for as many packs as you can get. I'll take any many as you can get. I dont care if it's 100 packs!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan please dont trade away all your tackle, then you will have to buy more before spring!

4. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry man only pack there. I wouldve bought as many as they had just to trade or sell on ebay. BTW they were at walmart, I hadnt seen em there the week earlier and boy they look mean. Im gonna try a few more places later in the week. Its kinda like fishing you never know what your gonna catch.
    These are 100 grains and was wondering what arrows you shoot with them.
    LOL one more thing is it okay to shoot these at targets. I use two of those skinny cheap foam targets and so far they catch the arrows.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I shot them w/ Whitetail Carbons Arrows & Horton Carbon Strike Cross Bow Bolts

6. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Just make sure your set up is fast enough to give you good penetration with a mechanical head. Anything under 250 fps probably won't work well with mechanicals, especially when making long shots. I learned my lession a couple of seasons ago when I tried shooting mechanicals with a 54# bow and aluminum shafts. My arrow made it half way through the deer and stayed there, leaving me with no blood trail.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That sounds more like a specific problem w/ the head that you were using. What kind were you using. You can take a mechinal head in your hand & run it through a piece of paper & the blades will pop out, at least with the mechinal heads that I've used (NAP Shockwave & Puckett Blood Trailers)

8. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    My bow is set for 60lbs. Ive got some cheap carbon arrows from wmart but will probably get some bps carbon fury arrows. Will the mechanicals mess up or break if I shoot them in those foam type targets?

9. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    They were wasp jak-hammers . I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from using michanicals, they really do work well when used properly. Both fixed blades and mechanicals have their pros and cons. I just wanted to bring the penetration issue to light for those who are new to mechanical broadheads.

10. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    Brian, one of the benifits of mechanicals is that they fly just as good as field points. If your mechanicals weigh 100 grains then just get some 100 grain field points and use those to sight in the bow. Shooting them into foam might not be a good idea.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats funny that you mentioned those Jackhammers. My brother in law bought some & they wouldnt even open after hitting a foam target. He is shooting a Matthews. Thats odd. My ultimate fear of using mechinals is that something will happen & they wont open.

Yes if you shoot them into foam, they will open, but you can buy extra orings. NAP sells practise Shockwave blades.

12. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    The problem wasn't that they didn't open, they just didn't have enough kenetic energy for a full penetraion because my bow poundage was too low. Not to mention I was using those Easton aluminum shafts that seem to fly in slow motion. :cursing:

13. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys, I wont be target shooting with them. Ive been shooting my fixed blade ted nugent broadheads and man are they tough.

14. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Heck, what's the matter with a Wensel or a Magnus? Don't have to worry about o-rings with either one. :p

Will

15. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Are they cheaper than $2.50? LOL Thats why im trying em. :D