shocking

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by MattTheCat, Jan 1, 2009.

1. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    just wondering everyone felt on the subject. would like to see the practice ended but for some reason they haven't yet

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, there's a lot of differing opinions on that subject. I used to be against it completely but it's within the law and it's only in a few small areas but it can really damage the population of catfish in a given area. I think it's probably more harmful in the Waccamaw than the Cape Fear b/c the Waccamaw is a smaller more shallow river with a lot less current. The locals will immediately tell you how its affected the catfising on the Waccamaw. There are still plenty of big cats and good numbers of cats caught in the Cape Fear every year so I don't think it has that much effect on them.

Also, it's not like you just go out there and get every cat in a hole if you shock it. I saw some guys shocking in the Black River one day and they didn't get anything, but there was absolutely no way there wasn't several catfish in that particular area, they just didn't get them. It also doesn't really affect any other kind of fish, hell we caught our biggest bass of the day right behind those guys that were shocking on the Black River. And do remember that flatheads and blues (as much as we love to catch them) aren't native here and they can cause problems in native fish populations. There are other factors involved too but catfish do negatively affect some of the other native species.

3. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    some of the guys i hang out with are shockers but im pretty sure that a guy who knew where to fish an how could out fish them when they were shcoking any day. granted i did see a 77lb blue and a 65 lb flattie come floating up from shocking. which leads to my next question do you guys release the bigs ones an how big is big enough to release/

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I grew up in an era where telephoning catfish was a common practice among outlaws of the wild. I've always been taught that it sterilizes fish. Don't know if that is true or not but if it is, i have to question why game & fish continue to do it in creel studies.

5. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i practice catch and release almost all of my fish, all the big ones go back no question i may keep a few small one for the table ,but that rare, ive also heard it made them steril when being shocked i dont know myself ,, i do know when they come thru an area thats been shocked the fishing turns to s!#? , you just as well go somewhere else or pack it on in

6. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    just dont know why the practice continues i dont think they can sell river fish to market I just hate to see the big boys fall to that sorta thing. we could have a fishery like we are surrouned by like the james and santee if we cant stop the shock we should at least protect the bigger ones and make the catfish a game fish and put size limits and such on them . i am certain the revenue from fisherman chaseing that monster would surpass that of the river being raped I had the lockmaster at #1 tell me of boats so full of fish the could hardly pull them out just a outdated practice if you ask me:sad2::sad2::sad2:

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd like to see it abolished but really I think over the course of a year there are many more catfish kept from limb lines than any other practice here in the eastern part of the state. In some places there are literally bush hooks every 20ft and almost none of them are properly tagged. Unfortunately though the shocking is actually encouraged by the state and if you don't believe me call them up, they will be more than happy to give you all the info needed to start shocking. Also, shocking on the Cape and Black river is concentrated to Bladen county, it's a county "law" (don't remember the word for it). There are still a lot of fish caught from that area of the Cape and from the Black River as well. It's just one of those things that I think we're just gonna have to deal with unfortunately. I just don't see it going anywhere.

8. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im going to have to agree with you Wes, heck last weekend I watched as some old boys down on the river set 20 lines friday night an on saturday morning they had a fish on everyone. they filled one of them huge coolers till they couldnt close the lid. now im for a good old fashion fish fry once and awhile but if i got guys doing that what am i supposed to do with a rod an reel. Heck i mine as well join them to get in on it. cause thats the only way im goina catch a big one here in about 6 or 7 years. and the bad part is that these guys dont understand that it takes 15-20 years for a flattie to reach 50 lbs + down here an a little less for blues. and up north that same flattie would only be 25- 30 lbs. I say teach them a little more or hook them up to a big one on rod an reel to get a little more appreciation for what we do.

9. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    well thats what i mean about protecting them . in a few years shockers limb lines and even jug lines could decemate a population like they have so far . if we would have outlawed those practices 20 years ago just imagine what fishing would be like after time people who do those things get better at it just like actual fishing and they easily take more and more fish the limbliners here in upper cape fear have had a huge impact on fish pop. up here there are many people who fish tournys up here that will tell you its probably the toughest stretch of river to catch fish on and did not used to be that way have had to move tournaments because nobody wants to fish here taking a way money that would have spent in the area just bothers me fishing pole and bait thats fishing

10. Roe Shad

Roe Shad New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'll steer clear of the shocking debate, but I'll wade in to the discussion on harvest vs. catch and release.

I used to be all for catch and release, and I still support it - there's no doubt that fish can be released and caught again. So in that way, a population could benefit from us releasing most of what's caught. However, if a population builds to the point that it overshoots the prey base, growth rates can suffer (too many mouths to feed). As an example, take a look at some of our coastal largemouth bass fisheries. The WRC found that most bass are caught are released. Bass rarely grow beyond 14 inches in some of these systems. Makes me wonder if a little harvest wouldn't do the bass population some good. The opposite may be the case for flathead catfish. It could be that anglers who harvest fish from the system (be it with hook-and-line, jugs, trotlines, limblines, etc) are helping to maintaining fast growth and the production of large fish in these systems. Trophy fish aren't produced in rivers where growth is slow...

Somewhere in there's bound to be some middle ground where enough fish are harvested to maintain good growth, but not so many as to crop off fish before they get big (or HUGE!).

11. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Kyle and Matt,

Welcome to the BOC from Texas!

12. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i have to agree with you a little on that i thik virginia other states think the same way , make them a sports fish put restrictions on them ,size and creel , i got no problem with ( joe the plumber) setting a few hooks eating what he catches ,but like everyone else either you no or seen someone fill the back of there pick-up with fish knowing theres noway there going to eat all them fish even at a fish fry, and half the darn time they want to ride around with the #50+ fish they caught rather on limb line or what not , but i will say most guys i no who would have caught it on rod would have released the fish (nothing against you guys who limb line ) but dont destroy our limited resource , EXAMPLE i no a place on the river the first time we went we had 14 fish over 35# 3 were over 50 we had a good night we caught 30+fishthat night and for a few years everytime we went you atleast boat a 30-40 atleast one now its gone to s!?&, due to limb liners thats why theres no tourny for us there this year, maybe one day well be heard