Shock Leaders

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by AwShucks, Mar 13, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I was reading a dated post about using shock leaders with surf rods. The gist of the post that the surf rod could generate such force that if the sinker came off it could seriously injure people or property. Okay, I'm not a mental midget... I can see exactly what the thread was about...what I can't see is how would you tie a shock leader to your main line. The shock leader should be a minimun of 10 times the weight of the sinker... 5 oz = 50 lb shock.
    I normally fish with 14 lb test line, some reels go up to 20 lb test. So, I guess my question is what knot would a person use to join the two lines together so you can still cast? If knots do weaken the strength of the line, how much breaking strength will there be left after the knots are tied. I would much rather loose terminal tackle than hit someone with a 5 ounce sinker. Suggestions?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The "Albright" but for the life of me I can not get more then about 28 lbs when joining 50# mono to 50# Spiderwire"Stealth" and thats with glue.

I will accept any and all help to improve this or any better knot used for going through the large guides on my Surf Rods,...PLZ PLZ PLZ!!!!!!!

:0a35:

I have and do pull test all the knots I use with a scale.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It is tied the same as the albright, but you wind the tag end back torwards the standing line, on top. Make sure none of your wraps crossover! I have found this to be the best. Some also add a drop of "superglue".

4. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I'm glad this post came up. I have a 12ft Okuma Solaris Surf rod and a CD-90 reel spooled with 300yds of 50lb powerPro, backed with 50lb cajun red lightnin'. I also use a breakaway canon, which makes using a shock leader even more important since it generates more power. The other day, I went to do some practicing with a baseball casting plug I made, so I tied on a section of 50lb Cajun Red for a shock leader. I used the Alberto knot, and it looked flawless, I was really impressed with myself :) Unfortunately, after two casts, the PowerPro was frayed where it met the Cajun Red. :(

I don't know if the damage was caused by the guides or what, but it was frustrating. I didn't get around to trying a uni-to-uni, but a lot of people like that one too. Whatever you decide to use, test it a few times before using it in the field.

Oh by the way, if your form is wrong or you apply power too soon, you can still break a 10-lb-per-oz shock leader. When trying an OTG cast for the first time, I snapped off the 50lb Cajun Red Lightnin leader and watched my baseball/plug sail off into some pine trees in the distance :0a5:

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i like the albright and the uni-uni. i steep up a couple of times if my main line is smaller than 20lb. i like to surf fish wwith 15lb big game to this i attatch15 ft of 30lb then attach 15 ft of 50lb.my 12ft solaris has a sweet spot around 4 ozs. i cant cast with the big dogs but i can rip off about 325 feet with out killing myself

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Having used the Uni in all applications from Fly fishing,bass, surf and cats I would say it is the best line to line connection I have ever used.It totally eliminated the nail knot nightmare for tying leaders to flyline.Be sure and use five wraps and pull slowly to set the loops.Wet the knot if possible.Jamey check your tip top guide carefully and it might be worth your while to replace what you have with one of the new Fujis in a slightly bigger inside diameter.:)

7. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I think you're on to something there, because I thought I heard/felt some guide contact on those casts. I hate replacing a guide on a new rod, but if I find the uni-to-uni fails me, I guess I'll go that route.

What do you guys think of the Fuji Lowrider rings? From what I hear, they really increase distance on a spinning/braid combo. If/when I ever replace the guides on my Solaris rods, I plan on giving them a shot..