Shock leaders for bank and limb lines

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by psychomekanik, Mar 14, 2007.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have an idea for shock leaders I dont see talked about here or, published in the library. I've done a lot of limb, and bank lining, and I've had a lot of lines broke, or the hooks straightened out. I started using rubber strips cut from car inner tubes, or cut lengths of bicycle inner tubes for shock leaders. usually 8-10 inches long. It seems to help with hook-ups, and I've experienced fewer broken lines, or bent hooks. i just tie a 2 foot length of braided line to one end of the rolled up strip, for the tie-off. and the other to the drop. you guys can develop your own patterns, or tweak it to your liking. just thought i'd drop the idea out there for anyone that might like to try it. seems to work for me.

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep river rats have used tubes for that reason for a while and it works great.

3. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    my grandpa taught me that trick yrs ago, good to see great minds thinkin alike.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've used bicycle tubes for years and most of the time you can get them for free. Contact a local tire or bicycle shop and they will save them for you. Not to many people has uses for old bicycle tubes.:lol:

5. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Same here.I use innertubes most the time on my lines.

6. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i can see how it would work great...lots of folks that set lines for gators use old inner tubes....but where i fish for my big cats, there really isnt no need....i tie my lines to willow limbs hanging over the water. they give ALOT and are very strong. if you can find white ash near the water they have limbs that will bend quite a bit also. Ill have to try the tubes next time i fish where these trees arent available
    thanks for the idea and info

scott