Shock Leader

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 4, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    ive heared alot of mention to these on here, i want to know what they are, and why you use them thanks for the help

Marshall

2. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    good question marshall want to know my self

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
  4. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
  5. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    A shock leader is a length of heavier line that stops you snapping off under the additional load of a really heavy cast. The link from Tim showed how to tie a suggested knot to join line together of unequal diameters.

Hope this helps a little :smile2:

6. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    thanks everyone for the help, ive been reading some other shockleader pages, could you also tell me how much weight is enough that i would need to utilize this incredibly complicating and confusing tecnology (lol)

7. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Depends on how heavy a weight you need to cast and how hard you need to cast to make the distance. Sorry for such a crummy response! Some people use the heavier line as a snag leader if there is a lot of structure around. The baits I use aren't really castable so I use 150lb powerpro as main line and a metre or so long 220lb kevlar leader. This is attached to the mainline with a big swivel... I know jack about catching American cats, but I'm sure some of the guys in the BOC can tell exactly what works for them. It'll probably work for you too! :smile2:

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Its not all that confusing. Bare bones explaination. A shock leader should be the length of your pole plus 5-8 trips around the spool of your reel. It is used to absorb the shock, hence the name, of the pressure from the initial force of your cast. I like to use, on my surf equipment, 15 pound mainline and a 50 pound shock leader. I connect the two with an albright knot. I use 50 pound shock because I use a 2-3 ounce weight and bait. I like to use 10 pounds of test per one ounce of weight and bait. I will admit that I am no expert but, that is my method and it works well for me.