Shoaf Lake, Ft Wayne

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Balex123, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Curious if anyone has fished this small lake in Fort Wayne, by the Zoo. Been bluegill fishing there in the past and it just popped in my head that I seen a couple baby channels floating by, so I know the species exists there. Thinking about trying it out, but don't know if its worth fishing.

2. jgibson1

jgibson1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    you really never know what your going to catch in some places ive been catching five and six pound channels out of a pond thats not even three acres and surrounded by appartmens here in greenfield which goes to show you never know whats out there until you caatch em

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Small retention ponds sometimes hold some nice cats. Used to catch up to 10lbers in the retention ponds close to my house. There was one pond we used to fish in an apartment complex...biggest one I ever got out of there was 12lbs, but I saw a 19lber caught out of there one time. I noticed chunks of hot dogs seem to work well in retention ponds.

4. jgibson1

jgibson1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    yep thats what i always catch them on, i went over there one night after my girlfriend went to bed and didnt have any bait and its easy and if you dont catch fish to eat just go home and eat the hotdogs lol

5. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yep, my technique was a piece of hot dog suspended about 3 feet under a bobber since the bottom of those ponds are so grassy. If the pond has a fountain...that's the place to fish around :wink:

6. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have never fished hotdogs, do you guys marinate them in anything before useing them?

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bryan,

I fished that once with my boy while the rest of the fam was doing the zoo thing. We caught some average sized crappie & a few goofy bluegill hydrids. We weren't fishing for catfish but I think it gets hit pretty hard by the "locals" so I'm guessing its probably not going to worth your time...go back to the St. Joe at Shoaff Park!

8. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nope...just regular hot dogs, I'm sure marinating them couldn't hurt anything. Also have had luck using Little Smokeys.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    cant help you on that, but i would trust matts opinion.